FOLFIRI+Erbitux = Numbness in feet and fingers?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Snapfish

FOLFIRI+Erbitux = Numbness in feet and fingers?

Postby Snapfish » Tue May 03, 2016 4:05 pm

My dad is now 4 rounds into FOLFIRI, the last 3 of which have included Erbitux. He feel like his neuropathy that he had with FOLFOX is getting worse, though it is possible this is hand/foot syndrome that feels similar to FOLFOX neuropathy. In his words:

There is a constant numbness in the tips of all four fingers and thumb of both of my hands. The numbness in all of my toes is spreading away from those extremities and becoming more troublesome. As far as my fingers/hands, I am starting to have real difficulty in typing on my computer and buttoning/unbuttoning my clothes. My finger tips and hands feel consistently cold with the numbness/coldness extending to the palm.

In terms of my feet, all toes and the bottom of each foot are numb. Although I can seemingly walk without any perceived disability, both feet (and sometimes from just below my knees through the ankle) are swollen by the end of the day. My feet also feel constantly cold.

Are any of those symptoms a side effect of the chemo scheme I am now on? What, if anything, can I do to minimize those side effects?

The oncologist says that his suspicion is that it is the Erbitux making his extremities more sensitive and mentioned there is some evidence that vitamin B6 (50mg/day) can help in these circumstances. I have also heard that 5-FU can cause numbness, though it does not seem to be a side effect often discussed by oncologists. We are at the point now where my mom is not really wanting to let my dad drive, as he's had a couple close calls with foot on the brake or gas at the wrong time.

Is this numbness something you have experienced on FLOFIRI+Erbitux? Any advice or suggestions you have for my dad would be greatly appreciated.

ETA: Just in case you were wondering, he's got the full-blown Erbitux rash so he's on doxy and using some lotions suggested by folks on this forum. Other than that and the numbness, FOLFIRI hasn't been too rough on him so far. Thankfully.

-snapfish
Daughter to 70-year old father dx 2015-Sept-28: Stage IV adenocarcinoma with signet ring cell features
Sigmoid colon primary with peri mets
MSS; RAS wild-type; mutation in exon 8 of p53

2015-Oct: Began FOLFOX-6 at MDA; CEA was 15.1 at baseline
2016-Feb: CEA 5.7; 10 full rounds of FOLFOX-6 completed
2016-Mar-3: Began FOLFIRI
chemo, chemo, chemo
2017-Jan: Total of 29 cycles of chemo down. Back on FOLFOX again after FOLFIRI fail. CEA now 118.

Snapfish

Re: FOLFIRI+Erbitux = Numbness in feet and fingers?

Postby Snapfish » Thu May 05, 2016 12:41 pm

Sorry to bump, but I wondered if anyone had experienced numbness on FOLFIRI and Erbitux. We're already moving forward with the B6 so we shall see if that helps.

Thanks!

-snapfish
Daughter to 70-year old father dx 2015-Sept-28: Stage IV adenocarcinoma with signet ring cell features
Sigmoid colon primary with peri mets
MSS; RAS wild-type; mutation in exon 8 of p53

2015-Oct: Began FOLFOX-6 at MDA; CEA was 15.1 at baseline
2016-Feb: CEA 5.7; 10 full rounds of FOLFOX-6 completed
2016-Mar-3: Began FOLFIRI
chemo, chemo, chemo
2017-Jan: Total of 29 cycles of chemo down. Back on FOLFOX again after FOLFIRI fail. CEA now 118.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”