Rectal cancer- Staging question? Follow Mop up Chemo??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
dmondgirl

Re: Rectal cancer- Staging question? Follow Mop up Chemo??

Postby dmondgirl » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:28 pm

ab123 wrote:I had a similar diagnosis. It's normal to take out a good deal of the lower colon along with the rectum. The way my surgeon described it, there's kind of a minimum take - once you cut the nerves and blood vessels to the rectum, the lower 10-inches of colon have to come out too regardless of whether they were irradiated. But not to worry - there's plenty of colon above that. 3 1/2 years now post surgery and I'm basically back to normal. Adjuvant chemo is a bit rough - I did FOLFOX - but not too bad most of the time. Even so I went to work and lived pretty normally through it. There will be adjustments, of course. I still have a little neuropathy in my feet, for example, but it doesn't impair function at all and I hardly notice it anymore. Today I take Metamucil daily and probably have 3 BMs a day, so that's a little inconvenient, but you get used to it and they aren't emergencies or anything.

Good luck.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. Did you have a rough time after reversal? I have read some post and some people had it really rough...im guessing it depends on what part of the colon is removed.... am i corrrect ?
Fiance – Diagnosed 7/ 2015 @ 41yrs old- rectal cancer
Initial staging - T3N0M0
4 tx of Folfox/5FU
28 radiation with Xeloda
LAR surgery 3/17/16 final stating T2N1M0.

Rough Recovery
9/16-Recurrence @ resected area
Biopsy - Poorly differentiated adenocarcinoma, with signet ring cell features & neuroendocrine differentiation.

8 tx of Folfiri! No shrinkage everything stable .. lymph nodes behind his abdominal area grew a little bit
4 tx of Erbitux + Irinotecan- No shrinkage everything stable

ab123

Postby ab123 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:41 am

Reading back this thread thought I would update on how my reversal went.

Ileostomy reversal comes with the relief of not having to deal with the bag anymore, but you trade that for having to sit on the toilet a lot. It took me a while to get to the right amount of Metamucil to bulk up the stool - to have fewer BMs. But it was pretty ok for me in general. I had control and maybe only a couple small accidents at the start. Also I pretty quickly had to reduce vegetable intake - anything with leaves just went right through me. I learned, for example, that eating hamburgers leads to better bowel performance. The consideration of food became much more about the mechanics of digestion rather than nutrition or "eating well".

Even after 6+ years I still have to think a little about what I eat - moderate salads - and I sometimes need Imodium still - if I'm traveling and eat something that doesn't quite work. I have resisted keeping a food journal - mostly because I'm disorganized, but I do think that would be helpful - just to know better what leads to days where I have to sit a lot vs. those when I don't. I also have a lot of gas still - and diet affects that.
Aug 2012: RC DX Stage IIIC, T3N2M0 by MRI - 38M
Fall 2012: Chemorad
Nov 2012: LAR - Path report: 0/13 LNs, tumor reduced to "microscopic foci"
Jan-Apr 2013: 8 rounds FOLFOX
May 2013: Ileostomy takedown, port removal
July 2013 (and since): NED!

Caat55

Postby Caat55 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:17 am

Thanks for your update. I am only 3 months out and have veggies issues. I do okay with salads but all the wonderful squash, summer salads seems to be an issue for me. We have a huge garden and eating from it every night is such a treat. How much fiber are you taking? Do you notice or experience a lot of gas? Loud sounds, rumbling from the gut?
S
Do at 55 y.o. Female
Dx 9/26/17 RC Stage 3
Completed 33 rad. tx, xeolda 12/8/17
MRI and PET 1/18 sign. regression
Surgery 1/31/18 Ileostomy, clean margins, no lymph node involved
Port 3/1/2018
Oxaliplatin and Xeloda start 3/22/18
Last Oxaliplatin 7/5/18, 5 rounds
CT NED 9/2018
PET NED 12/18
Clear Colonoscopy 2/19, 5/20