New diagnosis and beginning of treatment LONG

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Youngjen81

New diagnosis and beginning of treatment LONG

Postby Youngjen81 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:12 am

Just want to share my story. I hope it helps someone else.
In 2007 my husband and I bought our first RV. After one of our first vacations I noticed mucus in my stool. I initially thought it was a bacterial infection. After a month of occasionally having mucus in my bowels I decided to see the dr. I remember him trying to convince me what I was experiencing was normal. Mucus is a normal part of bowels. I knew what I was experiencing was not normal for me. But I was 26 and cancer was no where near anything I had considered.
About a year later I noticed some blood on my stool. I again saw my dr. He said having 2 kids so close together must have caused some internal hemmohroids, he prescribed some suppositories and sent me on my way. When I was 28 I noticed lines or creases in my stool, sometimes with blood, sometimes with mucus. Another appointment I was sent to a GI doctor who did a rectal exam, said he felt nothing and I was more than likely suffering from a fissure. Try eating more fiber.

7 years after my first symptoms I delivered a third child. After a a vaginal delivery my doctor stated, "you have a very large internal hemmohroid, you should do something about it". Embarssed I laughed and said it was a gift from my first son.

Fast forward another year and a half, I began experiencing frequent mucus and bleeding. A friend my age had recently had some precancerous polyps removed and shared her symptoms. I began to worry.

I had ran a half marathon 2 years prior, ate a vegetarian diet for 24 years, planted a garden yearly, play with my kids daily, I don't eat fast food drink soda, use drugs or drink alcohol (a few drinks a year only). No way did I have something like this. I never suffered constipation, diarrhea and I had GAINED 18 pounds in the last year.

I went to a new doctor, he did a rectal exam, felt a mass. I had my first colonoscopy on February 17th at 35 years old. My second colonoscopy 2 days later to check the remainder of the colon. That morning my husband and i were told I had an aggressive cancer.

The next week we had a CT and ultrasound. Stage 3, moderately differentiated adenocarcinoma.

Monday April 18th I finished my 28th radiation treatment with 3000 mg Xeloda daily.

It's been quite an emotional and physical journey. Everyday is a gift. The doctors say this is curable and treatable. I feel hopeful but scared too. I'm scared for my husband, my 4 boys, my parents, siblings and friends.

I am thankful to find this board. However it is sad there are so many other people fighting colorectal cancer. The number of misdiagnosis stories is frightening.
Diagnosed at 35 after 8 years of symptoms
T3n1m0, clinical diagnosis, suspicious spot on iliac crest and left lower lung, unchanged
28 radiation, with Xeloda 3000 mg
LAR with temp ileostomy 6-21-16, pCR!
Ileus and blockage, 12 day hospital stay
Port placement 7-26-16
Fofox begins 8-2-16
Mom to 4 boys(2, 10, 11, 22) they are my world!
Mother diagnosed 5/2016
Clinical stage t3n2m0, cysts on liver and kidneys
Last day of chemoradiation 7-28-16, can't wait! It's hard seeing my Mom in pain

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Re: New diagnosis and beginning of treatment LONG

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:25 am

Welcome to the board but sorry for the reason you are here!*hugs* I'm sorry that so many doctors misdiagnosed you.*hugs* That would have been really frustrating! You've come to the right place. There's lot of support and knowledge here!
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:52 pm

All I can say is its not 4, 4 can still be curable but less likley. So think positive. Hugs and best wishes

Wendyann

Postby Wendyann » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:41 am

Hi Jen. Your cancer is similar to mine with the same symptoms. Mine was diagnosed as adenocarcinoma of the sigmoid colon. I am so grateful they could remove it without needing a colostomy. I too delayed colonoscopy for a year even though I had symptoms of mucus and blood. My doctor said I had internal hemorrhoids but suggested a colonoscopy in the .0001% chance there was a tumour in my colon. I cancelled my colonoscopy appointment as life was just too busy. I had to work through the regret big time after diagnosis. We are all here for you in the club as you embark on this new, sometimes scary and overwhelming journey. If anyone understands, we do!!!
50 yr old mother of 22 yr old daughter and 18 yr old son. Dx 07/14. Liver/lung mets. Stage 4. Sigmoid colon resection 09/14. Folfox and then Folfiri 11/14 to 02/15. Folfiri 07/15 to 11/15. Back to chemo 04/16. Chemo for life.

crazylife

Postby crazylife » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:22 pm

Nik Colon wrote:All I can say is its not 4, 4 can still be curable but less likley. So think positive. Hugs and best wishes

When is 4 curable? Is it just a crap shoot?. DH had a 1.5 cm met on his liver which was resected. First follow-up scan showed a 8mm lung spot which has shrunk to about 5mm from 6 rounds of chemo. Is it just sort of a wait and see? Would love any insight into what characteristics define chance of a cure.
Wife to DH, 41 years old, diagnosed 11/15
Stage 4, Mod diff, 13/24 LN, 1 liver met
Colon/liver resection at MSK, 11/15
8mm lung met (not confirmed) and enlarged lymph nodes 1/16
12 rounds of folfox (9 with Oxi) 6/16
NED - July 2016
NED - October 2016
3 lung mets - March 2017
7 lung mets, May 2017
RFA to largest met, June 2017
Lung mets growing slowly, October 2017 (off treatment since June 2016)
Right lung surgery, November 2017
Left lung surgery, January 2018
NED - May 2018

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:24 pm

crazylife wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:All I can say is its not 4, 4 can still be curable but less likley. So think positive. Hugs and best wishes

When is 4 curable? Is it just a crap shoot?. DH had a 1.5 cm met on his liver which was resected. First follow-up scan showed a 8mm lung spot which has shrunk to about 5mm from 6 rounds of chemo. Is it just sort of a wait and see? Would love any insight into what characteristics define chance of a cure.

There is always a chance. With me they did surgery for curative intent because minimal spread (2 mets in liver). Others can't have surgery at first and become surgical candidates later with chemo. There is always hope, but the more mets and spread, the less likely. Being actually cured is when it has not came back for many years, I think around 7 they consider you cured. Can't say for sure tho.

Cowgirl918

Postby Cowgirl918 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 3:35 pm

youngjen81;
I am so sorry to hear about your struggles with diagnosis. Many of us have faced those issues. You have come to right place for information and support. I am wondering how you are doing now? Just having four boys sounds like a challenge although a blessed challenge. It also seems like you are scared but strong and have tolerated treatment well? Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.
HX Colon Polyps Villious and Tubillovillous
12/29/15 Colonoscopy/Endoscopy - Ascending Colon Mass- Hemicolectomy Scheduled
1/17/2016 Right Hemicolectomy Cancelled
1/25/2016 CT No evidence of other disease
2/12/2016 EMR-ascending colon mass 80%
8/12/2016 EMR #2 ascending colon mass curative
8/13/16 NED
7/26/2023 Neuroendocrine mass small bowel, two mesenteric lymph nodes
9/1/2023 Small bowel resection jejunum and lymph nodes removed mesentery

Youngjen81

Postby Youngjen81 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:15 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words. I spend little energy thinking about how things could have been different but I want to help others seek diagnosis earlier.

As for now, I am okay. Could be better, but was expecting worse. My skin did pretty good through radiation with just a 1 inch area that's still raw and occasionally painful and itchy.

The worst symptom now is bladder pain. I didn't miss a day of work through the chemoradiation treatment, even with serious diarrhea for 2 1/2 weeks. Now it hurts almost all day with frequency, urgency, burning with and without urination. I was prescribed oxycodone for pain, it doesn't even touch the pain. Azo and pyridium are not helping either. I started cranberry supplements 2 weeks ago. Due to the pain I needed to stay home from work yesterday and today. Trying to get plety of fluids to help with flushing the bladder. I am however thankful the diarrhea is slowing down;)

I'm assuming these are typical side effects of radiation. My doctors think the pain will get better over the next 2 weeks.

Anyone experience similar "bladder/urethra" pain?

Thank you again for being available to support eachother. It really can be a lonely illness.
Diagnosed at 35 after 8 years of symptoms
T3n1m0, clinical diagnosis, suspicious spot on iliac crest and left lower lung, unchanged
28 radiation, with Xeloda 3000 mg
LAR with temp ileostomy 6-21-16, pCR!
Ileus and blockage, 12 day hospital stay
Port placement 7-26-16
Fofox begins 8-2-16
Mom to 4 boys(2, 10, 11, 22) they are my world!
Mother diagnosed 5/2016
Clinical stage t3n2m0, cysts on liver and kidneys
Last day of chemoradiation 7-28-16, can't wait! It's hard seeing my Mom in pain

AppleTree

Postby AppleTree » Thu May 05, 2016 4:45 pm

You and I finished chemo/radiation at the same time. Are you feeling better? I had the bladder issues too and was given pain med (Novalgin) plus and anti-spasm med. Yes, drink lots, but flushing the bladder won't make it go away. I was told bladder and tubes were inflamed from radiation and it would take time for the pain to stop. I was so surprised that the 2.5 weeks after radiation were the hardest. My next MRI is May 24 and surgery mid-June.

Don't beat yourself up over a delayed diagnosis. I had only about 2 weeks of very slight blood in my stool prior to diagnoses. My DR said the cancer is fairly aggressive and probably had not been there that long. I believe him because I had been to the OB GEN DR 3 months prior to diagnoses and he did a finger rectal exam and apparently didn't feel anything. My tumor is so low and big enough that various DRs came in to feel it when I was first diagnosed. I feel sure my OB GEN would have felt it if it had been there when he did his exam. What I am trying to say - maybe all your symptoms weren't actual cancer - you will never know now - so don't fret too much over "lost time with diagnosis" because maybe you did not really loose any time after all.
Diag Feb 5, 2016 Age 45
3 cm tumor 5 cm from verge
Radiation + Xeloda pills - 3000mg 5x week
3/14 - 4/16 - 25 sessions
Shrank just over 50% L nodes 0/13
Remove rectum with temp Ileo 6/17
Reversal 7/20 due to infection
Acute hepatitis August. Chemo cancelled
June to September 2016 - 58 days in hospital

6/16, MRI shadow in lung
Pet - 6.6mm Met in Upper R lobe
7/30 VAT surgery Mass General/Boston