Stool DNA Testing for Colon Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ASTEPHENS33

Stool DNA Testing for Colon Cancer

Postby ASTEPHENS33 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:13 pm

Has anyone used this/had experience with it, that they can share? Its called Colonguard - http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/featu ... lon-cancer. A friend has it recommended to her. thanks

Lydia666

Re: Stool DNA Testing for Colon Cancer

Postby Lydia666 » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:58 pm

Thanks for the info!
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:07 am

ASTEPHENS33 wrote:Has anyone used this/had experience with it, that they can share? Its called Colonguard - http://www.cancer.org/cancer/news/featu ... lon-cancer. A friend has it recommended to her. thanks

I have not had any experience with this test. However, I noticed that the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force has decided not to recommend it for general colon cancer screening. To understand why, you need to read and understand the fine print of the Task Force's most recent recommendation

Task Force Recommendation for Colorectal Cancer Screening (2015) (see FIT-DNA paragraph)
http://www.uspreventiveservicestaskforce.org/Page/Document/draft-recommendation-statement38/colorectal-cancer-screening2

As I understand it, the situation is this: The FDA has approved this test, basically because it has the highest sensitivity of any stool test available. What this means is that if you indeed have colon cancer, it is almost sure to find it. However, this test also has a low specificity. What this means is that this test generates more False Positives than other available stool tests, i.e., your test result may say "Positive for colon cancer" but it might very well be wrong.

The task force apparently thinks that too many patients will be sent off to have a colonoscopy when this is not in fact necessary and it would put too many patients at additional risk of an unnecessary invasive procedure. Also, the FIT-DNA test is more expensive than the standard Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) stool test.

Alternative Tests
...Screening with computed tomography (CT) colonography and multitargeted stool DNA (FIT-DNA) testing may be useful in select clinical circumstances. However, there is less mature evidence to support these methods, resulting in greater uncertainty about their net benefits and the most appropriate situations in which to use them.
. . .
Ref: Imperiale TF, Ransohoff DF, Itzkowitz SH, Levin TR, Lavin P, Lidgard GP, et al. Multitarget stool DNA testing for colorectal-cancer screening. N Engl J Med. 2014;370(14):1287-97.

Another question to ask is this: Why is your friend considering a DNA stool test? Is it because she belongs to a known high risk group for colon cancer and wants to be tested even though she does not have any symptoms, or is it because she has troublesome bowel symptoms that need to be diagnosed and treated? There is a difference between these two objectives. The DNA stool test will test only for colorectal cancer. It cannot be used to diagnose benign conditions such as ulcerative colitis, IBS, hemorrhoids, diverticulitis, etc.

me2

Postby me2 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Jacques wrote:
ASTEPHENS33 wrote:The task force apparently thinks that too many patients will be sent off to have a colonoscopy when this is not in fact necessary and it would put too many patients at additional risk of an unnecessary invasive procedure. Also, the FIT-DNA test is more expensive than the standard Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT) stool test.

That's fine when you're trying to reduce spending as a government or insurer. It's fine when you're trying to limit the need for more GI doctors doing endoscopies.

It's not fine as a patient, where you want your polyps removed before they become cancerous and detectable by fecal tests.

If your circumstances warrant screening, they call for a colonoscopy. You can do a Miralax prep which is flavorless, and get enough drugs you won't remember the procedure.
July 2014 stage 1 RC t1n0m0 age 41
August 2014 TEMS
September 2015 scope one diminutive hyperplastic polyp

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”