4 days in from hemicolerectmy

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Gegee

4 days in from hemicolerectmy

Postby Gegee » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi guys and gals

..... Had a left hemicolectomy on Tuesday morning only a few inches taken out for diverticulitus .... Have been walking and eating since Tuesday night ... Sausage and mash, ice cream, macaroni cheese, eggs etc... They took my catheter out and the staples from the surgical wounds out Wednesday morning .. Wanted me home that day but I said I was more happy with staying another day . Came out Thursday .....It's now Saturday and I haven't had bowel movement yet ... And started to get a bit worried ... The doctors did not really give me any info on what to expect the next few days .. Passed a bit of wind a couple of times today and yesterday ... Is this normal ? ... Been adding up all the food iv eaten the last few days .. And I'm sure it needs to be out of me by now :) Thanks for your help and patience

midlifemom

Re: 4 days in from hemicolerectmy

Postby midlifemom » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Did they talk to you about stool softener?
Perhaps that would help.
If nothing by Monday, I would call the doc.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

ziggymonster

Postby ziggymonster » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:21 pm

Agree...try stool softener,drink lots of water, and walk. It is kind of scary......all that food backing up!
DX advanced prostate cancer 2002
2014 still fighting mPca , failed surgery, radiation, hormone
DX Stage IIIa Rectal Cancer 12/12 1 of 12 nodes +
LAR permanent colostomy 1/13
Folfox 2/13 - 7/13 clear CT CEA 1.2
7/14 liver met chemo the resect in Oct
6/15 2 pos lung mets watching for now

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:38 pm

Gegee wrote:Hi guys and gals

..... Had a left hemicolectomy on Tuesday morning only a few inches taken out for diverticulitus .... Have been walking and eating since Tuesday night ... Sausage and mash, ice cream, macaroni cheese, eggs etc... They took my catheter out and the staples from the surgical wounds out Wednesday morning .. Wanted me home that day but I said I was more happy with staying another day . Came out Thursday .....It's now Saturday and I haven't had bowel movement yet ... And started to get a bit worried ... The doctors did not really give me any info on what to expect the next few days .. Passed a bit of wind a couple of times today and yesterday ... Is this normal ? ... Been adding up all the food iv eaten the last few days .. And I'm sure it needs to be out of me by now :) Thanks for your help and patience

Hi Gegee.
I'm no expert, but I would say if you feel worried, call the doc and check. At the very least, it should ease your mind to know.
I know when I was in they wouldn't release me until I had passed gas. They said going home wasn't dependent on a poo, but they kept asking. For me, I had a "dirty fart" (scuze the terms), or just a smear on the toilet paper, so that wasn't much, but by Saturday (so just over 48 hours) I had a small poo. In spite of eating, if you did any sort of surgery prep your colon was probably fairly empty, so it can definitely take a few days for things to get moving. Try not to stress. Keep walking, and call doc. Best of luck! :)
Hugs and prayers,
Tracy
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

Chayo
Facebook Username: Chayo.ramirez

Postby Chayo » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:57 am

Are you taking narcotic pain meds? Mine caused severe constipation - I had gas and poop in the hospital before being released, but from Sunday to Friday nothing at all. On Friday I stopped the pain meds and within 24 hours was pooping.
Chayo
Dx 11/24/2015 Colon Cancer at age 45
Adenocarcinoma in the sigmoid colon
12/16/15 colectomy
Stage 2, T3N0
Started Folfiri Feb 1, 2016

Gegee

Postby Gegee » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:29 am

Chayo wrote:Are you taking narcotic pain meds? Mine caused severe constipation - I had gas and poop in the hospital before being released, but from Sunday to Friday nothing at all. On Friday I stopped the pain meds and within 24 hours was pooping.

I have taken 2 tramadol at 10pm each night only, because I know how theses things can bung you up ..... I phoned up the hospital ... They advised to take a sachet of movicol laxative .... That was at 10 this morning ...... It's now 3.30pm ... And still no movement .... It will be a whole week of no bm by tomorrow night :roll:

Thanks for everyone's help !

Thetoad

Postby Thetoad » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:58 pm

Any luck yet? It can take a while. I was told, 'if you can pass gas, then the rest will follow!' I was given a laxative and the rest did follow. Much to my embarrassment, as it was about 2 am while I was still in hospital and in bed. Half asleep and gave a good push, thinking it was wind. You can guess the rest... Wonderful nurses though, about three of them came to my aid. You'll be fine.
Emergency extended rt hemi November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.

Yearly appts appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Incisional hernia repair, mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open.
Good consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17 colonoscopy ok Jan. 2018 :)
Nurse pleased, March 2018. CEA 1.8. One more CEA test and hopefully last appt in November, 2018.
Prostate cancer, Gleason 7 (3+4) Sept. '18.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”