Pain after a month of colon resection

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dahflina
Facebook Username: Ali

Pain after a month of colon resection

Postby Dahflina » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:12 pm

Hi
I had a laparascopic colon resection due to diverticulitis on March 2 this year.I went home after 2 nights at the hospital and was feeling great until about week and 2 weeks ago when I started feeling these sharp, stabbing pains and burning in my inside sutures this pain goes sometimes to the left of my back.
I have been to the ER twice had a CT scan, blood tests, urine test, ultrasounds and everything came back clear. My doctor prescribed Bentyl to help with spasms and ordered to increase fiber intake to deal with constipation but it hasn't helped much with the pain. The ER doctor sent me home saying it could be pain from the nerves that are still healing and trying to reconnect. she said to stop the Bentyl but did not prescribed anything. I initially stopped it ,but started on 20 mg again yesterday, while having one of these pain attacks and the Bentyl helped. I have increased my fiber intake and usually move my bowels, but not today .this bentyl works by stoppi g tbe colon from moving so now I have another dilemma.These pains get better when I lay down flat on my back sometimes. The only pills I take are Gas X. I have an appt with my surgeon thus coming tuesday. Does anyone have any sugfestio? Please help...I am living with pain most of the time.Today I filled the Percocet prescription, but prefer not to to take it.. Anyone going thru a similar situation? Thank you !

Travelgirl
Facebook Username: Jac gar

Re: Pain after a month of colon resection

Postby Travelgirl » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:26 pm

Sorry your in pain.

Could it be your diet by any chance? Sometimes it takes time to get our bodies readjusted to the new plumbing system. And what we are eating can create issues.. I ate beets 2 1/2 months after my surgery.. The toilet was red I swore I was bleeding and had to stop and think what I ate. It was this way for three days too.

Did you ask your doctor if it could be diet related? Did they give you a diet to follow after your surgery? Maybe your eating something that is bothering the area?

WIsh you the best.
Travel Girl
53/F
DX-CC 12/19/15
Tumor location Cecum
Tumor Type -Adenocarcinoma arising background sessile serrated polyp high grade dysplasia
Tumor size 1.5 cm
TNM - T1, N0, M0
Stage 1
Baseline 12/15 CEA 2.4, 8/16 CEA 1.7,11/15 CEA 2.3
Surgical Margins Clear
Lynch - Neg
Primary Surgery 1/11/16 LAR right colon and portion of ileum right hemicolectomy
1/4 follicular lymphoma- Wait n Watch (found in CT scan for Colon cancer) a 2 for 1 special.
8/16/16 NED for Colon/Lymphoma nodes have shrunk on their own.

Sams wife

Postby Sams wife » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:18 am

They told us that if my husband was going to get an infection, it should happen in a week. He ended up with pains & a little discharge after a month or month & a half.
He ended up talking to the oncologist & he told him to take his antibiotics that he had sent home with us. Hubby felt better. No pains. Then it (pain) came back & he gave him a different antibiotic. No problems since then.
He had thrush during the first chemo tho (before surgery). And you guys have had different surgeries. Just be careful it's not infection. I bet my husband would have ended up with a wound vac if I didn't know to watch out for problems. Hope you get to feeling better.
Husband dx 1/13/15 St.2 CEA 7.1
Chemo/25rad 2/15 till 4/24/15
5FU/leucovorin
Surgery 6/8/2015 Stage IIa T3N0MX microscopic cancer left
Watching 4 lung spots
0/5 lymph nodes. Lap. APR
25% less 5FU/leucovorin 7/14/2015 x 26 CEA 3.4
25% more 5fu 9/2015
9/16/15 CEA 7.7
1/16/16 @ 9.2 during allergy?
3/16 New lung spot 4x4 mm
6/16 CEA 6.9 spot 5x5

ukusa
Facebook Username: Georgina

Postby ukusa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:22 pm

Hi. Did your pain ever go away??? I am 3 weeks post op with the same surgery, I was in the hospital 2 nights also. I went home and it felt fine for about two days, then I got this deep pain under the wound where they took the colon out which is only two and half inches long. I am eating normal food, and able to use the bathroom with a little straining. My pain is exactly like you described, tight, pulling excruciating like I am ripping it apart. I am alone with just my three dogs, and I am scared that I wont be able to take care of them anymore. Can you help me figure this out? Any info would be appreciated. I saw my surgeon last week, but she just said that it was normal. It doesn't feel normal to me and would just like to be reassured.

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:05 pm

Ukusa:
Often is the case that sensory nerve fibers (sensory nerve fibers process incoming stimuli from the body’s organs/tissues as well as pain impulses) become embedded in scar tissue and fibrin filaments that are a normal part of healing and recovery. As the intestines slither and move and as you begin to move and stretch more in your daily activities you will often feel the resistance of the scar tissue/adhesions with a recognized uptick in pain.

Gentle stretching and moving is good to help mobilize scar tissue and adhesions. Keep it simple. For example: Raise your arms up and over your head, gently and slowly, as you are able. Elongation of the torso. Also, gentle rotation of the torso over the fixed pelvis - as in rotating to the right, gently and slowly, then rotate to the left.

Gentle yoga poses are effective.

Stretch while taking a warm shower.

You can also massage the area around your incisions, using the palms of your hands to apply a deep and soothing pressure.

The goal is to gently mobilize scar tissue/fibrin, thus freeing embedded sensory nerves and easing pain. Begin to gently move your arms, legs, and torso as a means of mobilizing scar tissue and adhesions that are a normal part of healing and recovery.
Karen
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

ukusa
Facebook Username: Georgina

Postby ukusa » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:37 pm

MissMolly. Thank you so much for all your advice. I will do the exercises and gentle stretching. It all makes perfect sense. I had one of those surgical abdomen binders delivered to my house today from my local pharmacy downtown. It seems to help, and when I wear it, I can bend over slightly without pain to feed my dogs their food and water much better. Before I had to get a pitcher and stand up to pour water and food into their bowls on the floor and it went all over the place....LOL. I, and my dogs thank you for your kind response.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”