Irinotecan dosage for Stage IV questions

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
hurnik

Irinotecan dosage for Stage IV questions

Postby hurnik » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:44 pm

Hello,

Mom's got Stage 4 colon cancer. Was on Folfox and now the cancer has spread locally (meaning still in abdominal area, not lungs/liver). They are now putting her on Irinotecan + Avastin. She's had Folfox + Avastin, but had to stop due to allergic reactions to the Oxy, and obviously the 5FU not working well anymore. Plus she has 5FU toxicity.

So they have her on the following Irinotecan cycle:
Week 1: Infusion over 3-4 hours, send her home
Week 2: Infusion over 3-4 hours, send her home
Week 3: Off

Repeat above cycle. Now, due to her 5FU toxicity and Oxy allergic reaction (plus allergic reaction to Neulasta), they are putting her on half dose week one and half week 2. Which *I* thought meant that a "normal" person would get:
Week 1: Infusion
Week 2-3: Off

But apparently not?

My co-workers' mom is also Stage 4 (lungs/liver) and they have her on Irinotecan only (no Avastin) and she gets a pump for 3 days for Week 1 and then has Week2/3 off.

I can't seem to find anything that says "typical" Irinotecan cycle (like I could for Folfox which was normally 1 week on, 1 week off, but sometimes 1 week on and 2 weeks off).

Any ideas? I'm sure the docs are doing what's good, but just curious as to the differences (pump infusion), etc.

Any scientific articles/etc links would be great!

canadiandaughter

Re: Irinotecan dosage for Stage IV questions

Postby canadiandaughter » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:06 pm

MY dad dad 30 infusions of folfiri (iri) and he would have 3 hours, then take a pump home for 48 hours. He had this every two weeks unless his blood levels were low which only happened twice. They started him on folfox with avastin and he has had 6 of those, scanned today, so we find out Monday how its going. But he had the same routine with it, every two weeks with a take home pump. He has had the dosage lowered twice on folfox, I believe he is down to 70% right now but had full dosage of the folfiri.
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

Lund5505

Postby Lund5505 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:20 pm

Folfiri which is 5fu + irinotecan is typically given every two weeks with an infusion of irinotecan and the take home pump of 5fu

Irinotecan mono therapy typically is irinotecan infusion every three weeks.

Sounds like they are splitting the irinotecan dose over two weeks to help with the toxicity.

If your friends has a take home pump I would be shocked if that is something other than 5fu.

Hopefully your mother is not having too much trouble with diarrhea which is the most common side effect
10/2013 dx female @54 stage IV innumerable liver mets
CEA 2600 kras wild MSS
11/2013 folfox avastin 8 rounds
6/2014 neuropathy development CEA 9.8 but won't go lower
8/2014 colon resection
11/2014 folfiri and cetuximab 9 rounds CEA 1700
4/2015 cetuximab only 4 rounds CEA down to 20 but won't go lower
7/2015 chemo break getting too toxic
10/2015 xeloda 3 rounds CEA 800 then 300 then back up to 900
1/2016 irinotecan CEA 1800 at start 2/2016 too toxic
4/2016 Cea 3200
Hospice recommended but I'm not ready yet

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:31 am

Typical for FOLFIRI is same as FOLFOX (with pump) 2 weeks, same as XELIRI or XELOX (with pills) 3 weeks

Both the same except the irinotecan or oxaliplatin

(Again, this is the norm, but they have to adjust at times, or reduce dose, or take out, etc)

tdsamal
Facebook Username: malby.tammy

Postby tdsamal » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:17 am

So I am on Folfri with Avastin. My infusions are every 2 weeks for 4 hours with a pump for the next 48 hours. My Dr has told me that I could go 3 weeks in between infusions to help with the side effects if I wanted to. I chose to just get it over with and try and live with side effects. Don't know if I made the right decision or not. Fatigue has me down real bad right now.

Tammy
Dx st IV CC & colon resection 11/09
Way to much to list
Last recurrence December 2017

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”