Proton Therapy for Liver Metastasis from Stage 4 Colon Cancer

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maia

Re: Proton Therapy for Liver Metastasis from Stage 4 Colon Cancer

Postby Maia » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Roscoe, I of course wish you wouldn't be going through all this but... what a great 'team' you have formed with Dr Yang. I love that you found this out of the box strategy. Keep going!! I'd dare to suggest you might want to explore immunotherapy, in trials or off label, if you can --might be the 'something' that this very precise radiation is missing to give you hopefully durable responses.
Best to you.

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:14 pm

Roscoe Douglas wrote:Roscoe Douglas,
roscoe@firstbenefits.com

I was diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer at age 67. The treatment offered was Chemo only. The Liver mets were supposed to kill me in 6 months without chemo. I refused Chemo and started on the Budwig diet.

When I first learned about proton therapy in Nov 2015, I called most of the Proton centers on the east coast, and they would not treat liver metastasis. Dr Yang at Loma Linda accepted me as a patient, and in Dec 2015 after 3 days of treatment on each tumor, the liver tumors were gone.

My colon tumor was removed robotically by Dr Conforti in Jan 2016 in Macon Ga,

In Feb 2016, a tumor around the aorta was treated with Proton therapy.

Proton treatment on 7 tumors began on August 15th and continued until Sept 28th 2016. One aorta tumor and 6 lung tumors.

In Nov 2016 Dr Yang found 20 more lung tumors and told me that I should get my affairs in order, that he felt that I had less than 6 months to live. He scheduled a follow up visit for Mar 2017 if I was able to fly.

I felt fine, and on Feb 18 2017, I had a Poppy 69 + Lola 1 = 70 birthday party. Lola is my youngest granddaughter who was born on my birthday Feb19th, 2016. I organized a walk run, and completed my 140th marathon that day.

Feb and March 2017, I returned to Loma Linda and Dr Yang treated 5 more lung tumors.

Returned to Loma Linda Aug 1st, and Dr Yang is treating 9 more lung tumors with Proton therapy. He grouped the tumors into groups of 5, 2 and 2. He is doing treatments for 10 minutes per day for 3 days on each group. I have at least 2 more lung tumors that he will treat in Feb 2018, may be more if others have grown by then.

I continue to do the Budwig diet, and take several vitamins and drink Pomegranate juice each day.

I believe that friends and family praying for me has been a big factor in my survival so far. I lot of people have asked me how I can have a positive attitude with terminal cancer. The answer is that I am not afraid to die. I know Jesus, and as a Christian, death is just a Change Of Address.

I spent the last 5 years of survival putting affairs in order. I'm with you on that one brother, death is just a change of address, although I hate moving with a passion ! I'm not stage four, although your metaphor will live with me for the rest of what Jesus leads me to ?
Regards,
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:55 pm

What would be the process I should do in order to be referred from Emory in Atlanta to MD Anderson for proton therapy?

Emory Winship will not have their new machine in operation until late 2018.

I have been dx with another recurrence to my para aortic verge involves 50% of the iliac artery again.
Also mri shows that I have concerning brain lesions.

Emory is not wanting to operate as in 2015...they can only offer Xeloda and radiation therapy 5 days a week for 25 to 30 treatments.

I am not comfortable with the plan and I know that proton therapy would be a much better outcome.

My QOL has been good and I am MSS and Wild Type KRAS, NRAS,and BRAF too.

I am able to travel and your post has given me back hope...otherwise I am game over.

Thanks,
Chrissy
Dx 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon Stage IIIb; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU & Leucovorin;12-16-2010 PET/CT Scan Cancer Free;7-05-2012 CT Scan NED 2 years;10-13-2013 NED 3 yrs; 08-01-2014 NED 4 yrs; 06-30-2015 Stage 4 iliac lymph node(s) 08-11-2015 Surgery 3 cm tumor and iliac artery graft done. Positive margins in the abdominal aorta, No chemo. 03-16-2016 CT Scan Stable,06-16-2016 CT Scan Stable,09-21-2016 CT Scan Stable,12-2016 Stable,03-31-17 Stable,
Recurrence 6-30-17

mypinkheaven
Facebook Username: Sally Cunningham

Postby mypinkheaven » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:28 pm

chrissyrice wrote:What would be the process I should do in order to be referred from Emory in Atlanta to MD Anderson for proton therapy?

Emory Winship will not have their new machine in operation until late 2018.

I have been dx with another recurrence to my para aortic verge involves 50% of the iliac artery again.
Also mri shows that I have concerning brain lesions.

Emory is not wanting to operate as in 2015...they can only offer Xeloda and radiation therapy 5 days a week for 25 to 30 treatments.

I am not comfortable with the plan and I know that proton therapy would be a much better outcome.

My QOL has been good and I am MSS and Wild Type KRAS, NRAS,and BRAF too.

I am able to travel and your post has given me back hope...otherwise I am game over.

Thanks,
Chrissy

Chrissy, Get your records from Emory - CT scan discs included, MRI images. Then call MD Anderson:
https://www.mdanderson.org/patients-fam ... enter.html

Is Emory offering SBRT (more precise, but not as precise as proton or IMRT which does more surrounding damage to healthy tissue?
MSS, KRAS Wild
9/2012 Colon Cancer IIB Lft Colectomy 0 lymph nodes 0 Chemo
10/2013 CT clear
11/15 CEA 2.7 to 4.6
11/15 CT Thickening of uterus
11/15 Biopsy - colon cancer
12/15 Complete hysterectomy.
2/16 Pelvic radiation - 25, brachytherapy - 3.
4/16 - 6/16 Xeloda
6/16 CT Several lung nodules less than 5 mm.
8/16 CT Nodules still present. Most stable. Some growth
10/16 CT Same ^. Onc recommends no tx :evil:
11/16 Transfer to UCSD Moores Cancer Center
12/16 Folfox + Avastin failed
2/17 Folfiri + Erbitux

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”