Right Hemicolectomy expectations

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
FrozenAKgirl
Facebook Username: Trish.Ivacic

Right Hemicolectomy expectations

Postby FrozenAKgirl » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:39 am

I finally saw my colorectal surgeon yesterday (colonoscopy was 2/28). I will be having an extended right hemicolectomy on April 27th. Doctor told me she will be doing it with a full cancer work up, taking nodes and tissue. Shooting for laproscopic but may need open.

I'm a little nervous now! I am a busy mom of 6 and there will never be a good time for this! I haven't told my boss yet. And, we've been house hunting for an entire year and just had an offer excepted with a close date of May 11th. I have NO idea how to accomplish a move at this time!

I'd love any insight or personal stories on hemicolectomies. Surgery itself and recovery.

I'm not complaining and am so thankful this was caught. Just nervous on how I can manage everything!

Oh, does anyone know the odds that the bottom side of this adenoma is cancerous? I forgot to ask my surgeon. I know the biopsied pieces from the top were precancerous. Has anyone had a precancerous diagnosis and then be told it was cancerous?
-Trish in Alaska (39 y/o)

- 20 year history of polyps and colonoscopies (tubulovillios adenoma at 19, multiple tubular and serrated adenomas)
- Lynch Negative
- 3.8cm X 3.6cm serrated sessile adenoma in cecum
- extended right hemicoloectomy (terminal ileum, appendix, and 89cm/35" of colon) 4/27/16
-precancerous with 21 lymph nodes CLEAR!

Cowgirl918

Re: Right Hemicolectomy expectations

Postby Cowgirl918 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:52 pm

Sounds like you have a great deal on your plate. So sorry that you are facing so many challenges at once. I had your situation and chose the EMR. I am older, however, and my children are adults. The truth is that they will not know the full pathology until after the surgery. Given your HX it sounds like you are taking the safest route. Yes, there can be cancer when the adenoma is fully dissected. It seems that they may have caught yours before that happens. Good luck. Keeping you in my prayers.
HX Colon Polyps Villious and Tubillovillous
12/29/15 Colonoscopy/Endoscopy - Ascending Colon Mass- Hemicolectomy Scheduled
1/17/2016 Right Hemicolectomy Cancelled
1/25/2016 CT No evidence of other disease
2/12/2016 EMR-ascending colon mass 80%
8/12/2016 EMR #2 ascending colon mass curative
8/13/16 NED
7/26/2023 Neuroendocrine mass small bowel, two mesenteric lymph nodes
9/1/2023 Small bowel resection jejunum and lymph nodes removed mesentery

Sams wife

Postby Sams wife » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:05 pm

I think you will have to hire a moving company!! OMG. Well, are the kids old enough?

Not really. I don't really know what a right hemicolectomy is. That just sounds like alot on
Your plate at one time. I am sure you will get some good advice here though! Do you have time to get a few meals frozen? I hope it will be Laparoscopic. Will you be telling your boss pretty soon?
Husband dx 1/13/15 St.2 CEA 7.1
Chemo/25rad 2/15 till 4/24/15
5FU/leucovorin
Surgery 6/8/2015 Stage IIa T3N0MX microscopic cancer left
Watching 4 lung spots
0/5 lymph nodes. Lap. APR
25% less 5FU/leucovorin 7/14/2015 x 26 CEA 3.4
25% more 5fu 9/2015
9/16/15 CEA 7.7
1/16/16 @ 9.2 during allergy?
3/16 New lung spot 4x4 mm
6/16 CEA 6.9 spot 5x5

Travelgirl
Facebook Username: Jac gar

Postby Travelgirl » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:24 am

Sorry your having to go through this.

I had surgery on 1/11. You cannot lift more than ten pounds for three months. I had Lapo surgery which is less invasive. That is much easier to be up and about. Three weeks after surgery I was able to stand in front of a crowd and give a forty minute travel talk. Six weeks after surgery I went on a cruise.

Three years earlier I have a regular surgery for another issue and I can tell you it took me four months before I was able to do the same.

You heal much faster with lapo surgery.

Both surgeries I was in the hospital for six days.

you cannot guess the outcome of a precancerous polyp. Nope. I drove myself crazy.. But typically a worse case scenario I am understanding based on my case was a stage 1.. Which the third Dr was correct on..

I had three colonopscopy's in a three month period ...two Dr's did biopsies said my polyp was precancerous and a third dr's biopsy said it was cancerous.

I will pray for you and I wish you the best..
Travel Girl
53/F
DX-CC 12/19/15
Tumor location Cecum
Tumor Type -Adenocarcinoma arising background sessile serrated polyp high grade dysplasia
Tumor size 1.5 cm
TNM - T1, N0, M0
Stage 1
Baseline 12/15 CEA 2.4, 8/16 CEA 1.7,11/15 CEA 2.3
Surgical Margins Clear
Lynch - Neg
Primary Surgery 1/11/16 LAR right colon and portion of ileum right hemicolectomy
1/4 follicular lymphoma- Wait n Watch (found in CT scan for Colon cancer) a 2 for 1 special.
8/16/16 NED for Colon/Lymphoma nodes have shrunk on their own.

FrozenAKgirl

Postby FrozenAKgirl » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:50 am

Thanks! Yeah, I guess I just have to let it all go. Out of my hands. This will be a long month!

Cowgirl, 2 separate doctors took EMR completely off the table. They believe it will be far too difficult to reach and complete and will miss cells. I've been told this is my absolute best, if only, option.

We just bought my father-in-law a ticket up to us. He will be staying until I'm better. My bro-in-law is flying up to help my husband move. I pray our friends can help too!

Going to start on some freezer meals, great idea!

- 20 year history of polyps and colonoscopies (tubulovillios adenoma at 19, multiple tubular and serrated adenomas)
- Lynch Negative
- extended right hemicoloectomy (terminal ileum, appendix, and 89cm/35" of colon) 4/27/16

Thetoad

Postby Thetoad » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:24 am

Hi. You can see from my 'signature' that I had an emergency right hemicolectomy 29 months ago to the day. The good news is that everything has been ok so far with CEA tests, colonoscopy and CT scan. So, don't be too anxious. Everyone worries about the what ifs and the future, but it gets better after time. In my case, the niggling concern is always there, but that's just me. I do tend to look things up online and that doesn't really help. Best to talk to someone who is looking after you. Looking forward to reading about your progress. Best wishes.
Emergency extended rt hemi November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.

Yearly appts appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Incisional hernia repair, mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open.
Good consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17 colonoscopy ok Jan. 2018 :)
Nurse pleased, March 2018. CEA 1.8. One more CEA test and hopefully last appt in November, 2018.
Prostate cancer, Gleason 7 (3+4) Sept. '18.

HoneyJack

Postby HoneyJack » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:55 pm

Hi there...I had two colonoscopies w biopsies before my colon resection. Both biopsies came back BENIGN so imagine my surprise after resection when pathology came back stage 1 :(

I was in the hospital for 4 days-2 of which I was on a pain pump. My doc wouldn't let me leave hospital until I passed gas-wasn't too concerned about bowel movement but I was able to do both :D

Recovery at home wasn't so bad. No lifting for around 3 months..I remember being sore but nothing crazy. I do know I was sent home with 40 Percocets and only took 3...first three nights home at bedtime. You will be on a low residue diet for at least a month and then slowly you will return to your normal diet.

I have no bathroom issues. I seemed to be more concerned about that than I needed to be. I do go everyday-sometimes twice...and bowel movements are much looser but really not an issue.

Two weeks ago I had 3 incisional hernias fixed. Still recovering from that and I swear the hernia surgery was worse than having a foot of my colon removed.

Good luck to you! You're doing the right thing. IF it should come back cancerous it sounds like you caught it early.
Take care of yourself-everything else will fall into place.

*EDIT* doc told me I could be in hosp up to 10 days-must pass gas before I can leave. I've heard some doctors want you to have a bowel movement too. The quicker you can get up and moving the better. Walking hospital halls is a good thing. I was told no driving for two weeks-so that may interfere with your work. I would suggest that you remain home a MINIMUM of two weeks anyway after your surgery before returning to work. Sheesh-stay home as long as you can :wink:
Wife & mom
Right colectomy 4/2014 @41yrs old
Tubulovillous T2-N0-M0 0/30 nodes (located in Cecum)
Stage 1 colon well-mod differentiated
Lynch negative
NED

5/2014 Chest CT showed enlarged lymph nodes/biopsied Sarcoidosis! (Not symptomatic)
3 incisional hernias fixed 3/2016

FrozenAKgirl

Postby FrozenAKgirl » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:06 am

Thanks! I am getting the feeling that this isn't that big of a deal ;-). Hopefully, that is the case! Still about a week and a half out. The waiting is horrible!!

- Lynch Negative

elise

Postby elise » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:39 am

If it can be done laprascaopic like mine, it wasn't too bad actually. By the time I was discharged from hospital on day 6 or so, I had gone to the bathroom to pass a BM. On my 3rd day at home I was doing a deep clean of the house (trying not to lift more than 10lbs!) by week 4 or so I was back at the gym.

Open is a longer recovery (my liver was done open). I'd say it was more like 4 weeks before I was deep cleaning :lol:

Hardest thing after for me was re-learning how my colon worked. I had nasty diarrhea after and pooped myself once :roll:

Good luck and PM if you want more details :)

Elise
Feb - Stage 2 (T3 N0 M0) CC @ 30
Mar - R hemicolectomy, 18 LN
May-Nov 6 - Chemo (8 Xeloda)
Feb - NED
Feb - NED
May - Stage 4 - 1 liver met @ 32
Jun - Liver resection
Oct - CLEAN SCAN
Aug-Jan - FOLFOX 5 rounds, 5FU X 6
Ap, Oct - NED
Mar - NED

Thetoad

Postby Thetoad » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:48 pm

Yes, learning how your colon works is important. I lost quite a bit and my b m's are now softish and or a bit runny. Surgery was almost 30 months ago. Nobody seems bothered so I am trying to accept it as me. I think it might be caused by the shorter colon and the fact that I eat far too much sweet stuff. No alcohol though. I too pooped myself in the hospital bed, but the nurses were great. As one of them said, 'you're allowed to do that in this ward...' Don't worry!
Emergency extended rt hemi November 2013.
Complete blockage, small perforation.
Stage 2a.
T3N0M0
22 Lymph nodes clear.
No bag.

Yearly appts appts and 6 monthly CEA tests.
Incisional hernia repair, mesh Nov. 2014.
Cellulitus
CEA 1.4 on 28/7/17
27/5/17. Gallbladder removed, open.
Good consultation Feb. 2017
CEA 1.7 on 16/11/17 colonoscopy ok Jan. 2018 :)
Nurse pleased, March 2018. CEA 1.8. One more CEA test and hopefully last appt in November, 2018.
Prostate cancer, Gleason 7 (3+4) Sept. '18.

FrozenAKgirl

Postby FrozenAKgirl » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:45 pm

I may die of embarrassment if I poop myself at the hospital :shock: :shock:
What is the deal with alcohol? (I haven't been told any do's and dont's yet). Can I never drink again???? Can you guys eat popcorn?

- Lynch Negative

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:50 pm

FrozenAKgirl wrote:I may die of embarrassment if I poop myself at the hospital :shock: :shock:
What is the deal with alcohol? (I haven't been told any do's and dont's yet). Can I never drink again???? Can you guys eat popcorn?

I pooped when I was giving birth. I'm sure they see poop often so I was like, no big deal. As far as alcohol. Of course they say not to drink, but they say that no matter what, so I don't care or listen. I also want to live my life, not just exist.

FrozenAKgirl

Postby FrozenAKgirl » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:33 am

Lol! I know, poop happens. I'm just hoping for no uncontrolled code brown ;-)

So, it's really a "no alcohol" order. :-/. What happens if you drink occasionally?

- Lynch Negative

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:47 am

FrozenAKgirl wrote:Lol! I know, poop happens. I'm just hoping for no uncontrolled code brown ;-)

So, it's really a "no alcohol" order. :-/. What happens if you drink occasionally?

Afaik, nothing changes, it's ok
Popcorn I know is not good for some. I would say, try and see.
Again, these are just my thoughts and opinions.
I had diverticulitis/diverticulosis, but the pockets were removed during my resection so no worries with that anymore. I haven't had popcorn in awhile so idk, but I would be willing to eat it again. Again, I do what I want as I want to enjoy life. If I try something and it affects me then I will stop. Until then, I have fun :D

FrozenAKgirl

Postby FrozenAKgirl » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:11 am

:D :D :D

- Lynch Negative

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”