muscle tightness on right side

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
angie1975

muscle tightness on right side

Postby angie1975 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:38 pm

I have had 7 rounds of Folfox, going for my 8th round on Wed. and ever since beginning chemo I have had this pain on my right side under my ribs, and towards my back. It feels like sore muscles at times, and other times it feels like a dull pain. when it first began I asked my oncologist and she said chemo can cause this, and my bones looked good on my scans. Has anyone else experienced this kind of muscle aches, and dull pain on right side and kind of through the back? I am trying to keep a clear mind and not worry about the cancer spreading every time I have a new symptom, but sometimes harder said than done.
Stage 3 RC, DX 9/15/15
Prospect Trial, Folfox only
Surgery 2/11/16, successful w/clean margins
1/13 nodes positive
4/11/16clean scan, NED
7/13/16, CLEAN SCAN NED
7/21/21 clean scan released by Doc
6 years NED

macpudd

Re: muscle tightness on right side

Postby macpudd » Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:37 am

Hi Angie,
I too have a similar type of pain, it developed after my fifth or sixth cycle of folfox, I had a ct at the time and there was inflamation in the right side of my abdomen, the surgeon and onc both said it was proabably as a result of adhesions caused by my surgery ( right hemicolectomy ). This inflamation continues to show up on my scans but has not changed since I finished chemo last August, and my CEA has been steady, so they are fairly sure that it is adhesions and not tumour growth. I continue to have the pain every day and take pain relief three or four times a day. Hope your pain goes away and your treatment goes well.

Regards
MacPudd
Dx 10/13/2014 right hemicolectomy 10/15/2014 pT4b N0 M0
Folfox x12 from Dec 2014 to July 2015
01/16/18 tonic seizure hospital admission
01/17/18 ct and mri 2cm tumor on left side of brain
commenced anti epileptic and steroids and
insulin.
01/25/18 brain craniotomy 80% of tumour removed pathology says gbm4
6 weeks of rad and Temodar chemo and then 6 monthly cycles of Temodar
MRI in Oct no tumor
Mri Jan 2019 tumour growth Feb Pet scan tumour 6cm, no surgery, starting Avastin also Lomustine

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:18 am

Scar tissue begins to form within 5 minutes of the incision being closed. Some people have PT for it but surgery to release any tightness would only cause more scar tissue to form. My gastro told me that bits of tissue will attach to the lung, muscle, etc. He asked me if I ever had discomfort taking a deep breath.

Might be adhesions/ scar tissue.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

angie1975

Postby angie1975 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi dianetevigia thanks for the reply. My incision is at the bikini line down center of belly, and my colon was removed on left side so I could see pain on let side being that.so kind of confused why it is on the right most of the time. Guess it kind of bothers me since that is where liver is located and I associated that pain with possible spread of cancer. It does not hurt when I take take deep breath just occasionally. I thought I might have read one of your post you had a recurrence, can't remember if liver or lings. But if it was the liver did you feel it? I really just do not want to head to head to stage 4, and I know I should not even be concerned about that right now since surgery was successful and my oncologist said I had a good path report
Stage 3 RC, DX 9/15/15
Prospect Trial, Folfox only
Surgery 2/11/16, successful w/clean margins
1/13 nodes positive
4/11/16clean scan, NED
7/13/16, CLEAN SCAN NED
7/21/21 clean scan released by Doc
6 years NED

tigerpaw
Facebook Username: kristin.lossius

Postby tigerpaw » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:03 pm

I actually had the same kind of pain during FLOX, but rather moderate. CT scan showed nothing. During HIPEC the surgeons noticed signs of earlier inflammation around the liver and gallbladder and removed scar tissue. The finding was hard to explain since I had a left hemicolectomy and the right side was left untouched. After HIPEC, the pain is mostly gone.
63y female
dx July 13 resection of primary in sigmoid colon
Stage 3B cc, T3N1M0
KRAS mutant, codon 12/13, MSS
FLOX (FLV infusion 2 consecutive days + oxi) August 2013. Oxi stopped after 8tx
clear CT 6/14
peri mets + lung met 12/14
1/15 HIPEC
3/15 Lung resection
8/15 Subcutaneous met in midline abdomen-resected
8/15 Two lung nodules, observation, no chemo
2/17 enlarged lymph nodes hilus and mediastinum
5-8/17 FLV + Avastin
3/18 radiation to mediastinal and hilar lymph nodes

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:22 pm

My husband had that & it was a pulmonary embolism!!!! Have you been checked for that?

Alternatively, there is a painful condition called costochondritis (sp?) that is similar.
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”