Just found out

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Kerrywal
Facebook Username: Kerry

Re: Just found out

Postby Kerrywal » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:29 pm

Petscan for tomorrow cancelled because doctor is sick. We're waiting again
60/M Colonoscopy March 2016, CT, Endoscopy, PetScan:
T3N2aM0
radiation/chemo 4/26/16
31 rounds of RT & Xeloda
7/20/16 surgery
12 Ln out of 13 cancerous
Temp ileostomy, cancer on liver, unoperable
7/20/2016 Stage IV rectal

Kerrywal

Postby Kerrywal » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:37 am

We still have not started with any treatment. He has a CT scan today to line him up for radiation. And tomorrow we'll visit with the Chemo oncologist. I am really scared about the chemo part. Watching this global quest, the truth about cancer. Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with natural treatment?
T3N2aM0
radiation/chemo 4/26/16
31 rounds of RT & Xeloda
7/20/16 surgery

OrchardWriting

Postby OrchardWriting » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:46 am

Sorry to say, but this truth about cancer sounds like a lot of baloney.

This doesn't mean there isn't a place for natural treatments for side effects, etc., but you have to be careful because some can inhibit the effectiveness of treatments.

I would also argue with the inference that chemo is a scam. You can see the number of people on this board for whom chemo has prolonged their lives.
Diagnosed with stage III rectal tumor (though probably late stage II) January 2006.
Chemo/Radiation
Full APR Surgery
Folfox Chemo
So far NED.
Ooops. Liver tumor diagnosed 10/13 after elevated CEA. Liver resection for 5cm tumor 12/6/13.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:21 am

OrchardWriting wrote:Sorry to say, but this truth about cancer sounds like a lot of baloney.

This doesn't mean there isn't a place for natural treatments for side effects, etc., but you have to be careful because some can inhibit the effectiveness of treatments.

I would also argue with the inference that chemo is a scam. You can see the number of people on this board for whom chemo has prolonged their lives.

I would love to get Penn and Tellers take on it :D

kandj

Postby kandj » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:49 am

Kerrywal wrote:Does anyone have any knowledge or experience with natural treatment?

I believe that Steve Jobs went with an all natural approach following a pancreatic cancer diagnosis. He came to his senses months down the line but was too late. By then the Cancer had spread.

I think anyone can tell you that there is this big pharma conspiracy when it comes to cancer. But, in the end, it is all just that, conspiracy. Natural therapies definitely have their benefits to augmenting treatment (keeping your body and mind healthy) but alone they cannot kill your cancer. Cutting it out of your body and blasting what remains on a microscopic level is our best bet right now.
wife to DH, dx 8/15 stage IV @36, 12+ liver Mets
HAI placed 12/15
Liver resect 5/19/2016 15-20 mets (surgeon lost count)
Liver Recurrence 7/2017-radiation
Lung met 10/18 VATS
lung/adrenal gland recurrence 11/19
Adrenal ablation 2/20 VATS 3/20
Radiation: 9/20 adrenal gland, 2/21 pancreatic node
9/2021 liver, 4/22 esophageal node
7/2023 proton therapy: liver
140+ rounds of chemo and counting
Chest nodes, lung nodules, and esophageal nodes currently.

Kerrywal

Postby Kerrywal » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:20 pm

We finally have a tentative date to start treatment. Today in 1 week. These past 7 weeks have been the longest weeks ever. I guess when we are older we get so much more impatient. Maybe others will share how long it was wirh them and if they live in a big city or small town like we. I guess it really doesn't matter but I would like to hear from some. My husband is a stage 3b

Thank you
T3N2aM0
radiation/chemo 4/26/16
31 rounds of RT & Xeloda
7/20/16 surgery

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:37 pm

Kerrywal wrote:We finally have a tentative date to start treatment. Today in 1 week. These past 7 weeks have been the longest weeks ever. I guess when we are older we get so much more impatient. Maybe others will share how long it was wirh them and if they live in a big city or small town like we. I guess it really doesn't matter but I would like to hear from some. My husband is a stage 3b

Thank you

I had my colonoscopy done Dec 10, 2014, CT and PET shortly after, port on Jan 19th and first chemo Jan 20th (I believe). So a month and 10 days after.

Kerrywal

Postby Kerrywal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:12 pm

OK I found where to enter info as signature. Wow I hope you forgive me, not sure of all the info I see on others posts. English is my 2nd language so really struggeling with medical terms. Just glad that my husband finally will start treatment on Tuesday. After all this timeMarch 1 till now his mass probably grew another cm.
T3N2aM0
radiation/chemo 4/26/16
31 rounds of RT & Xeloda
7/20/16 surgery

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:19 pm

Kerrywal wrote:OK I found where to enter info as signature. Wow I hope you forgive me, not sure of all the info I see on others posts. English is my 2nd language so really struggeling with medical terms. Just glad that my husband finally will start treatment on Tuesday. After all this timeMarch 1 till now his mass probably grew another cm.

Click here for more info on what different things mean
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5366&start=45

Kerrywal

Postby Kerrywal » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:43 pm

Thank you for the link to the Terminology and abbreviation.
T3N2aM0
radiation/chemo 4/26/16
31 rounds of RT & Xeloda
7/20/16 surgery

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:17 pm

Kerrywal wrote:Thank you for the link to the Terminology and abbreviation.

You're welcome :)

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:44 pm

Sorry this is so late in the thread. As you can see from my signature, I am one of the 'older' members here. Yesterday (April 20) was my 9 year 'anniversary' from my last treatment which was my surgery. In June, it will be 10 years since my diagnosis with rectal cancer.
Here are some tips which I learned long ago...from this board and from others that I was a member of.

1. Get copies of ALL test reports.....colonoscopies, pathology reports, blood tests, etc. Don't let anyone try to tell you that you don't need them. If the doc won't give them to you, go directly to the facility and get a copy of everything.
2. Get a 3 ring binder (I still have mine) and dividers. Make a separate section for: blood tests, colonoscopy reports, CT/PET scan reports and pathology reports. Also, get something like a clear pencil holder (the kind kids get at the beginning of the school year) that has holes for the binder. In it put things like the info card on the port (should tell you what type of port), a list of your meds, etc.
3. If your husband has drug allergies, write on the front of the binder, in permanent marker the allergies. It is difficult, at stressful times, to remember all the allergies if he has them.
4. If you have a GP that your husband has a good relationship with, make sure that the doc is copied on EACH and EVERY test report. That way, if the facility or the onc (for example) give your husband a hard time about obtaining a copy of a particular report, the GP will have it.
5. DO NOT ACCEPT THE DOCTOR'S WORD ALONE ON WHAT ANY REPORT STATES. Too often, we forget exactly what was said and/or the onc doesn't mention everything that was/is in the report.
6. Don't be afraid, particularly with the surgeon and the onc, of getting a second opinion. The onc will be the doctor that your husband will be seeing for quite some time (years) and you want to not only trust that doctor but also feel comfortable with him/her as well. Just because an onc's name was given to you doesn't mean that you need to go to him/her. Talk to friends who may have gone through cancer and see if they have any recommendations.
7. The surgeon is of particular importance. Rectal cancer, particularly in the male, is a more difficult cancer to treat surgically than, for example, than colon cancer. Don't feel pressured to pick the surgeon right now....get through the chemoradiation treatments first but while going through them, be looking for a surgeon. Again, just because a surgeon's name was given to you....it doesn't mean you should go with him/her. IMO, rectal cancer should be treated surgically by a surgeon who is BOARD CERTIFIED in colon and rectal surgery. Keep in mind that all surgeons are board certified in general surgery and you'll find many general surgeons who are qualified to do the surgery your husband will need BUT....they also do other surgery for things like: gallbladder removal, hernias, appendectomies, etc. I'm NOT saying that they aren't good surgeons but, IMO, you need a surgeon that ONLY does colon/rectal surgeries. Verify that any surgeon who are contemplating using is board certified at this link. http://www.abcrs.org/verify-a-physician-2/

8. Try to relax as best as possible and don't go doing a ton of Dr. Googling (easier said than done). The next 5-6 weeks will be helpful and stressful at the same time. Get things like dental appointments out of the way sooner rather than later. Before starting treatment, make sure you get some help here on things for your husband to use/not to use during chemoradiation. It's been my experience over the last 10 years that most rad onc clinics are NOT forthcoming about how to avoid/minimize the side effects of treatments.
9. What has the onc mentioned about chemo during the chemoradiation time frame? IF he/she is suggesting using a port....ASK WHY! Having chemo via a port for 5-6 weeks for either 24/5 or 24/7 (depending if your husband gets weekends off) is not fun and most oncs are now, at least giving a pill form of chemo during this treatment phase. IMO, the pills are MUCH easier to tolerate for 5-6 weeks on end than a port for that period of time.
10. The two of you have to make a decision what type of patient your husband wants to be. Does he want to be the kind that just lets the doctor make all the decisions...basically sits back and doesn't have any input? Does he want to be the kind you asks questions but ultimately let's the doctor make all the decisions? Does he want to be the type of patient who wants to be a member of the decision making team? There's nothing wrong with any of these positions and each patient is different in how he/she approaches his/her treatment. Decide how much involvement your husband wants to have and go from there. Cancer treatments can easily take so much control away from the patient...sometimes the patient just wants to have a little control back.

11. Finally, decide how much of your husband's diagnosis you want to share with your friends. Too often, friends seem to 'dissolve' away during treatment.....not so much because they don't like you....oftentimes they just don't know what to say and so, they just say nothing. Most patients just want to be treated normally and not get 'special 'treatment'. Be aware that your husband may very well feel like that. As I said earlier, cancer takes control away from us.....and people tend to either ignore you or treat you with kid gloves....and it can be really annoying. My advice to you is to be cognizant of this and talk to your husband about being treated normally. While there may be times that he's tired, he may very well still want to mow the lawn, continue working, wash the cars, etc. Let him do all those things that he wants as long as he can.

Rectal cancer takes a longer time to treat and sometimes seems to go on forever! Just be patient.....take it one treatment at a time and don't be thinking too far in advance. Right now, talk about the surgeon that you might be thinking of using. Think about getting a second opinion if that's a choice you want to consider.
Good luck. Let us know how things progress.
Jaynee
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:00 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:IF he/she is suggesting using a port....ASK WHY! Having chemo via a port for 5-6 weeks for either 24/5 or 24/7 (depending if your husband gets weekends off) is not fun and most oncs are now, at least giving a pill form of chemo during this treatment phase. IMO, the pills are MUCH easier to tolerate for 5-6 weeks on end than a port for that period of time.

I just wanted to point out good points with the port. First, I look at like as not a port but as an implant that many people get just cuz they like them (head horns, arm or other body parts, strictly cuz they want them), so I try to think of mine that way. The bigger issue, for me anyway, bad veins. Even the best have a hard time with mine. Most places I go now (hospitals mostly, etc) can access them, so mine is WELL worth it imo. I HATE when I go somewhere that cant. So, there is a big plus side to them if you are like me.

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:12 am

I didn't mean to imply that a port was a bad idea overall...just that when one is undergoing chemoradiation for 5-6 weeks straight, the port for the entire time isn't necessarily the best option for the patient. Going through chemorad treatments is taxing enough but being hooked up for the entire time (or at the very least every M-F) is annoying particularly when there is a viable option available that, IMO, helps the patient feel more 'normal'.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:04 am

[quote="weisssoccermom"

11. Finally, decide how much of your husband's diagnosis you want to share with your friends. Too often, friends seem to 'dissolve' away during treatment.....not so much because they don't like you....oftentimes they just don't know what to say and so, they just say nothing. Most patients just want to be treated normally and not get 'special 'treatment'. Be aware that your husband may very well feel like that. As I said earlier, cancer takes control away from us.....and people tend to either ignore you or treat you with kid gloves....and it can be really annoying. My advice to you is to be cognizant of this and talk to your husband about being treated normally. While there may be times that he's tired, he may very well still want to mow the lawn, continue working, wash the cars, etc. Let him do all those things that he wants as long as he can.

Jaynee[/quote]

I totally agree with Jaynee regarding feeling normal, I think of it as feeling useful.
Many times I am very tired but insist on going grocery shopping alone, without hubby. I need to do things that I used to do, knowing I will be exhausted after but still worth that independence.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”