MSS, RAF/BRAF mean?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
angie1975

MSS, RAF/BRAF mean?

Postby angie1975 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 12:28 am

Hi everyone just curious how each of you were explained these mutations, my path report said MSS,RAF/BRAF. I am currently stage 3 just had surgery and I asked my oncologist about it and she was not worried about it. She said that was what my tunor tested before surgery and she hopes they never need to use that information. Can anyone she'd some light on what all that means?
Stage 3 RC, DX 9/15/15
Prospect Trial, Folfox only
Surgery 2/11/16, successful w/clean margins
1/13 nodes positive
4/11/16clean scan, NED
7/13/16, CLEAN SCAN NED
7/21/21 clean scan released by Doc
6 years NED

Nik Colon

Re: MSS, RAF/BRAF mean?

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:53 pm

My docs didn't talk about them. What I do know I found out here or by searching. MSS is Microsatellite Stable (look at the sticky on the main page about MSI) BRAF is a mutation. Mutations and MSI status can help predict outcomes and chemo or treatments to use. What may or may not work, etc. I'm not an expert on this so hopefully someone else will chime in.

DixieBelle

Re: MSS, RAF/BRAF mean?

Postby DixieBelle » Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:48 pm

You need a new Oncologist. My first Oncologist told me he would not talk to me about how long I would live, that I had BRAF mutation and no chemo or radiation would work for me. That was all This was just a year ago. I got my pathology report and started looking things up on CREDIBLE sites. I fired that Oncologist and found one that specializes in Colorectal cancer and has explained everything to me.

In just a year, there are now new clinical trials that look very promising for people with BRAF mutation, my Oncologist is very excited about these. Since my surgery a year ago, I am currently NED (no evidence of disease), but IF this crap does come back (metastasizes), then I feel I have a chance of beating this crap. Previously, people with BRAF mutation had a poor prognosis for 5 year survival.

I do not mean to scare you, but if your Oncologist is not worried about BRAF mutation, then please get a new one.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4562608/
http://www.onclive.com/publications/con ... e-Optimism
Debbie, 66 years old
diag 4/4/15, colon cancer
Fist sized tumor and
15" of colon removed 4/7
BRAF V600E Mutation, MSI High
Stage IIA, T3N0M0
0/33 Lymph Nodes
No treatment
3 years NED

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”