Newbie - Preparing for Battle

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BeansMama

Re: Newbie - Preparing for Battle

Postby BeansMama » Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:58 pm

WriterGirl1969 wrote:Hi Mike - wow, just out of surgery and online posting? You're good!
I hope that your surgery went well and that you're comfortable. I totally agree about relying on God. I'll say some prayers that your surgery results go well and healing is quick.

Hi Beans - thanks so much for your thoughts. I really am trying to balance my search for information so that it doesn't cross the line to obsessing. I get it that the scan may not have caught it, but that doesn't give me a lot of confidence in future scans. Just something for me to keep in mind, I guess.

Hi Andrea - thank you tons for your kind thoughts. I agree, the hardest part will probably be that I am a Mom and want to be a good Mom through everything. I know there will be times when I'll have to be selfish to be sure I'm taking care of myself, but don't want to waste 1 precious second. And you're so right, the word cancer just invades every single thought that you have after hearing it. Even making a wise-crack about someone on TV, I thought, "gee, should I really spend whatever time is left making wisecracks like that?" Ugh. On the upside, I'm being very honest with people around me, rather than what I would probably prefer to do which is not tell anyone. I realize this is too big for that mentality, and that I'll need all my resources. So hopefully I'm being honest with myself.

Weird fact, when I told my dad, he revealed to me that he'd had a colonoscopy a couple years ago, and they told him they thought he had cancer. He had surgery, and the surgeon told him they thought it was cancer, but results from the tissue samples said no cancer. I don't know what's more strange. That it happened, or that I never knew. I like to think something similar could happen for me, but I'm not counting on it.

I'd be glad to message you privately as soon as I can. Right now I'm still in my new member probation period, but I'm sure with all the posts I'll be changing over soon. :)

Again, so much thanks everyone. Feeling like a frightened rabbit takes on a new meaning when you find a sanctuary built just for frightened rabbits.
--Tracy

Tracy,

I totally understand searching for information and trying not to obsess about it. But the simple fact is you will obsess about it. Even now, when I know what I am facing I obsess about it.

I worry constantly about how my illness affects my daughter. I try to keep things as normal as possible but the sad fact is things have had to change. I have had so many complications she's used to seeing me in the hospital, she's had to become more of a helper at home, she does like being on "mom duty" because she feels like she is in charge of me though. It bothers me that she has had to grow up pretty fast in the last few months, but I try to think of it in a positive way. She's learning that we help family and others when they need it and that with determination we can do anything we put our minds to. She's seen me overcome a lot already, and I have promised her that I'm not going to die so I better try my hardest and then some to beat this.

Things don't always go as I have planned - and that planning nature of mine gets me in trouble with this disease. It's one of the reasons I research and obsess and try to find new or different treatments.

I wish I could tell you it goes away or gets easier, but at least for me it hasn't and I'm not sure it ever will.

Don't lose confidence in future scans, I have found PET scans are pretty dang accurate, and it all depends on who is reading the scan. Some doctors are better at it than others. I have had I think 7 or 8 CT scans since that first one (I have lost count!) - the others with better interpretations. I also think knowing what is there helps them interpret other areas of the scan.
41 yrs old
Tumor found 9/2015
Surgery 1 - 11/2015 LAR and colostomy
Surgery 2 - 11/2015 wound vac
Surgery 3 - 12/2015 revise resection, move colostomy
Mets to liver - tumor inoperable - one add'l met destroyed
Stage IVa (T3 N2a M1a)
Primary tumor 9 cm x 7.5 cm x 2 cm
Beginning Folfox 1/2016 - Failed
Beginning Folfiri and vectibix 8/2016 — Failed
Beginning Folfirinox + Avastin 11/2016 - Failed
Beginning Keytruda 1/2017
CEA drop from 345 to 7.3 after starting immunotherapy
Lynch positive 3/2016

Chayo
Facebook Username: Chayo.ramirez

Postby Chayo » Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:55 am

I too am mid-forties with a young child (boy, age 7). I am stage II and had significant pain inthe months leading up to my diagnosis and surgery, so I can tell you that pain can occur even at early stages. As others have noted, degree of penetration into the wall is what matters for staging, not overall size of the mass.

I am a researcher at heart, and to me, knowledge is power. I realize that not everything I read is accurate or current, so I don't obsess over single facts or statistics. So I read *everything* between the time of my diagnosis and meeting my oncologist. To me, it's all information-gathering, and I'd rather go in and be able to ask all my questions about what is and is not reliable info rather than just waiting helplessly.

Wishing you the best on your journey!
Chayo
Dx 11/24/2015 Colon Cancer at age 45
Adenocarcinoma in the sigmoid colon
12/16/15 colectomy
Stage 2, T3N0
Started Folfiri Feb 1, 2016

kellywin

Postby kellywin » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:32 pm

Welcome Tracy. I don't have much to add but to say hi. I think this point is the hardest part. The not knowing. I know how your mind goes, thinking about every possibility, but honestly, there's really no way to know without the pathology and the scans. Try and not overthink, from what I've seen everyone's symptoms are different. Hopefully you'll have the results soon and you can feel a little comfort in knowing what you're dealing with and what the plan is.

Thinking positive thoughts for you.

...Kelly
Kelly, mom 14 yo girl
Dx 11/15/12 Rectal Cancer @ age 40
Stage IIIC
5.5 weeks Xeloda & Radiation - complete 2/5/13
Colectomy 3/12/13, 7 of 14 nodes positive - no ileo
4/24/13-8/20/13 - 5 rounds Xelox, 1 Xeloda only

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:36 pm

BeansMama wrote:
Tracy,

I totally understand searching for information and trying not to obsess about it. But the simple fact is you will obsess about it. Even now, when I know what I am facing I obsess about it.

I worry constantly about how my illness affects my daughter. I try to keep things as normal as possible but the sad fact is things have had to change. I have had so many complications she's used to seeing me in the hospital, she's had to become more of a helper at home, she does like being on "mom duty" because she feels like she is in charge of me though. It bothers me that she has had to grow up pretty fast in the last few months, but I try to think of it in a positive way. She's learning that we help family and others when they need it and that with determination we can do anything we put our minds to. She's seen me overcome a lot already, and I have promised her that I'm not going to die so I better try my hardest and then some to beat this.

Things don't always go as I have planned - and that planning nature of mine gets me in trouble with this disease. It's one of the reasons I research and obsess and try to find new or different treatments.

I wish I could tell you it goes away or gets easier, but at least for me it hasn't and I'm not sure it ever will.

Don't lose confidence in future scans, I have found PET scans are pretty dang accurate, and it all depends on who is reading the scan. Some doctors are better at it than others. I have had I think 7 or 8 CT scans since that first one (I have lost count!) - the others with better interpretations. I also think knowing what is there helps them interpret other areas of the scan.

Beans, thank you so much. That's a really helpful way to look at this. I worry about it being hard on my soon to be five-year-old son, but the truth is that I will have lots of opportunities to teach him about trusting God and having faith no matter what. I guess that's a pretty important thing to give him. That really lifts my heart.

I think you're right - the obsessing part just happens. It's like the idea of cancer is just as invasive as the cancer itself. Just having you all to hear from and talk to has really kept me stabilized. I've talked about a lot of this with Hubby too, who is of course going through his own set of fears and worries right now. I told him that he should joint the group to get some support from the care-giver POV. I really can't say thank you enough.
DX 3/4/2016 Colon Cancer; age 46 Mom of then 4-yr-old
Stage IIIB: T3N1M0
3/31/16 Surgery
4 to 10/2016: Xeloda Monotherapy
CEA: 10/16 0.56, 1/17 0.54
CT CLEAR: 3/6/17; 4/17/18; 4/16/19
NED 3 years
“If I can help somebody as I walk along, then my living shall not be in vain.”

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:43 pm

Chayo wrote:I too am mid-forties with a young child (boy, age 7). I am stage II and had significant pain inthe months leading up to my diagnosis and surgery, so I can tell you that pain can occur even at early stages. As others have noted, degree of penetration into the wall is what matters for staging, not overall size of the mass.

I am a researcher at heart, and to me, knowledge is power. I realize that not everything I read is accurate or current, so I don't obsess over single facts or statistics. So I read *everything* between the time of my diagnosis and meeting my oncologist. To me, it's all information-gathering, and I'd rather go in and be able to ask all my questions about what is and is not reliable info rather than just waiting helplessly.

Wishing you the best on your journey!

Chayo, I have to say thank you thank you thank you. The pain has really had me spooked more than anything. As a writer, I have a very active imagination. Getting perspective is key. I have my appointment with my referred to Board Certified Colon-Rectal Surgeon on Wednesday, so I suppose I'll find out more info soon. Going into that armed with some of the advice and info from this site makes me feel so much more prepared and better able to process what will be happening. Thank you for sharing that with me - it really is so much appreciated. Trying to keep breathing deeply, in through the nose, out through the mouth. <: -)
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Andrea1976 wrote:I have to agree on the abdominal pain. In my case I felt pressure in exact location of my large polyp. I told my mom few times that I feel that I have a golf ball in my stomach. Hard to believe that I was actually correct. I would never imagine...

I think the time until proper disgnoses is the worst. That's why I am having the surgery. I can't live with the fact that I can't be staged. I think you will feel better after surgery when you have a plan. My surgery is March 22.

From my research online we could win this fight even as stage 4. We will just keep pushing forward and never give up. When I think about it. You could be killed in a car accident tonight. It's just life... You and me have a chance to fight and win!!!

I gave up meat expect chicken once in a while. Tonight I had a steak... Ha, ha and red wine!!! I think once in a while to have red meat is ok. Just not daily...

I do feel that I am obsessed with finding info online. But slowly trying to stop. This weekend was the 1st I didn't spend searching and searching... I am trying to set up a plan for each day. My mom is a 15 year breast cancer survivor. She gives me a lot of power and support. She has promised to be with me every step of the way...

Thanks Andrea. Like you, I think I'm feeling the spot of my mass (not a polyp in my case) and where it's constricting my colon, although I suppose it could also be the diverticulitis. I just need to try not to overthink it. I love that you had steak and wine. LOL I took the opportunity after my "prep" to try to give up my Dr. Pepper habit. I'm caffeine clean since 3/2/16. :wink:

That's wonderful that you have a Mom who has been through it and can be such a support. I will add my prayers for you (and everyone I've met here) and hope that you and I can both be NED soon!

--Tracy (trying to pick up the lingo).
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

Jacques

Re: Colon Club lingo

Postby Jacques » Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:04 am

WriterGirl1969 wrote:... (trying to pick up the lingo).

Tracy -- If you are trying to pick up the lingo, you could start by reading a thread by our chief lingo-ist here. It might take you a while to learn all of these new terms, however... :roll:

http://coloncancersupport.colonclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11940&p=89776#p89776

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Tue Mar 08, 2016 7:00 pm

Thanks Jacques.
I had seen the tech terms, but not these.
I fit into the stimagination really well. Especially today. I got new blood results from GP and in addition to steadily dropping iron counts, I now have elevated liver function. I had this 3 years ago when I had colitis related to CMV, but now that I know about the mass and potential CRC diagnosis, I am worried this indicates liver met. And maybe the elevated function from 3 years ago was more than they realized. I'm totally over-thinking everything today, as I have my first meeting with surgeon tomorrow afternoon. On the good side, she is board certified. I'm just feeling scared silly today.
--Tracy
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:41 pm

Unfortunately got the confirmed diagnosis today. Requested copy of path report for details. CT scan next Wed, flex scope by surgeon next Thurs. Then hopefully a plan of action. Fighter stance. Sword up.
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:29 am

Good luck with your ct scan and sigmoidoscopy!*hugs* We are here for you! :D
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:10 pm

Thanks - I just got my surgery date also. 3/31. Onward, and upward!
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Oh, and first meet with Oncology tomorrow too. Not sure what we're doing other than discussing potentials, since we don't even have the CT scan yet, but I'm going to use it as an opportunity to "interview" this Dr. If anyone has thoughts or points I should not for an initial oncology meeting, I'm open to all info.
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

Jacques

Postby Jacques » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:27 am

WriterGirl1969 wrote:Oh, and first meet with Oncology tomorrow too. Not sure what we're doing other than discussing potentials, since we don't even have the CT scan yet, but I'm going to use it as an opportunity to "interview" this Dr. If anyone has thoughts or points I should note for an initial oncology meeting, I'm open to all info.

Several points:

WriterGirl1969

Postby WriterGirl1969 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:20 pm

Thanks Jacques. This was great information.
I had a really good meet with the oncologist today. Because I already have a pretty severe peripheral neuropathy in both feet, he said right off he'd want to try to stay away from anything with oxa in it. He was very interactive and informative, and impressed with all the knowledge I've gotten out of this group. :)
It's shaping up to be a great team. It's really helped me to feel a bit more confident in what I'm facing.
Along with all the very kind and helpful folks here.

Thanks everyone!!!
Tracy
3/31/16 Surgery
NED 3 years

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:39 pm

Glad that your oncologist appointment went well and that you have a surgery date!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”