Reversing an illeostomy early

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
DrlizH
Facebook Username: Liz Werden Hletko

Reversing an illeostomy early

Postby DrlizH » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:47 am

Hi folks. I was diagnosed in August, and following chemo/radiation in the fall, had surgery in december. Chemo/rad took care of lymph nodes and most of the tumor. Clean margins. All looks good. Problem is the illeostomy - it's a mess. I restarted chemo recently and I'm fine with it, but The illeostomy is awful. My skin is a wreck , I can't find a system that stays on more than 24 hours (if that), I'm developing an allergy to the adhesives, you name it. Its only been 3 months and I have another 5 months of chemo - then will have to wait another few weeks before reversal. So, can this be reversed while doing chemo? I'm probably being premature but I just changed my bag for the 5th time in 48 hours. Thoughts?
46 yo Stage 3c rectal diagnosed 8/15, radiation/chemo 9/15-10/15, surgery 12/15. Currently have illeostomy and doing chemo.

Lydia666

Re: Reversing an illeostomy early

Postby Lydia666 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 4:02 am

I know exactly what you mean- i hate mine too for similar reasons. I heard you can interrupt chemo and have the reversal but my surgeon did not want to do it until i am done with chemo. You need to check with your docs. There are people on here who got it reversed 3 weeks later!
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

ALW

Postby ALW » Sat Mar 05, 2016 9:41 am

I had mine reversed exactly one month after my surgery. Mine was a mess too. We couldn't stop the leaks no matter what we tried, it was eating away at my skin, and the pain was terrible. The more it leaked, the worse it got. The Ostomy nurse ran out of ideas as she had tried so many different systems, each one staying on for only a few hours. My surgeon knew there was no way I could make it through chemo like that. They did my reversal and placed a wound vac in order to speed up the healing. Pretty much the day the wound vac came off, I started chemo. I ended up with about a month delay in starting the chemo.
Aug '15 Dx rectal cancer stage 2a @ 41 years old
Sept '15 Radiation & Xeloda
12/3/15 LAR with temp ileo - 0/20 nodes
1/5/16 reversal done early due to complications
2/16 Started 5 rounds Xeloda

jackn

Postby jackn » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:32 pm

I know exactly how it feels, I had tears in my eyes when mine kept leaking. Unfortunately we just have to deal with it and the surgeon cannot expedite the reversal until the hookup has healed because if they do it might result in a leak and cause further problems once it is all closed up. I wish you all the best and remember this is just a phase which will pass away and then you will be thankful for the good results. I am glad that things are going great for you otherwise. My blessings with you.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:05 pm

I got reversed at 10 weeks, before chemo, and it worked out well. Getting reversed while on chemo might not be much fun.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

justin case

Postby justin case » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:26 pm

I got along with my illio exactly close enough to death. My surgeon reversed me in 3 weeks!
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”