Anybody completely cured for many years?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Andrea1976

Re: Anybody completely cured for many years?

Postby Andrea1976 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 pm

Thanks. So I was wrong the whole time... :roll:

Ok, I have to see what people say about left colectomy done laparoscopically.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:49 pm

Mine was in my sigmoid which is between the rectum and descending. I still have bowel issues, but usually if it's just part of the colon that is removed and not the rectum, it shouldn't cause as many issues. As far as I know anyway (after surgery that is, if all goes well).

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:51 pm

Thanks! And what about recovery. I am post to take a 3 hour flight 18 days after. Can I if no complications? It's for my daughter.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:57 pm

Andrea1976 wrote:Thanks! And what about recovery. I am post to take a 3 hour flight 18 days after. Can I if no complications? It's for my daughter.

I had colon and liver resection same day. Was out in 4 1/2 days. Usually 3-5, but can be longer if any problems. I would think it would be ok, but I would ask doc.

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:59 pm

Thank you :) my girl is going go big volleyball tournament.

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:02 am

Nik,
That is amazing and so encouraging to hear about your liver!!! 3 years ago and NED!!!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:04 am

Andrea1976 wrote:Nik,
That is amazing and so encouraging to hear about your liver!!! 3 years ago and NED!!!

Actually it's been less than a yr since surgery. Dx December 2014, surgery April 2015

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:08 am

Still great!!!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:09 am

Andrea1976 wrote:Still great!!!

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:16 am

Nik Colon wrote:
weisssoccermom wrote:I remember reading that, according to the ACS, IF you are going to have a recurrence, there is a(n):

80% chance of it recurring in the first TWO years
10% chance of it recurring in year THREE
5% chance of it recurring in year FOUR
with the remaining 5% chance of it recurring after that.

I know it is easy for us to say not to worry but with cancer you can't help initially but to worry.

I'm still uncertain how you can even be a stage I when the cancer was confined ONLY to the head of the polyp and didn't reach the wall of the colon/rectum. Your signature indicates that the stalk was totally clear with a 2cm margin....certainly a good margin. Cancer is staged by the TNM designation with "T" being the depth that the cancer invaded your colon/rectal wall. If the cancer didn't reach the wall (how could it if the stalk of the polyp was totally clear of cancer??) then how can it be classified as a stage I...when a stage one has to have either a T1 or T2 as the depth measure?

Regardless, your cancer was detected at the earliest stage...the polyp was removed and you should consider yourself extremely fortunate. Try not to dwell on the 'what ifs'. Instead be acutely aware of your body...any different symptoms and be vigilant about being checked up on the schedule that your doctor recommends.

I thought that at first also until I seen this.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/239 ... ted-to-the
And here
http://training.seer.cancer.gov/colorec ... /keys.html

I still feel that because of the stalk being clear, LAR is overkill and not worth the risk, but again, that is just my opinion.

Agree with you, Nik, 100%
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:21 am

Bev G wrote:
Nik Colon wrote:
weisssoccermom wrote:I remember reading that, according to the ACS, IF you are going to have a recurrence, there is a(n):

80% chance of it recurring in the first TWO years
10% chance of it recurring in year THREE
5% chance of it recurring in year FOUR
with the remaining 5% chance of it recurring after that.

I know it is easy for us to say not to worry but with cancer you can't help initially but to worry.

I'm still uncertain how you can even be a stage I when the cancer was confined ONLY to the head of the polyp and didn't reach the wall of the colon/rectum. Your signature indicates that the stalk was totally clear with a 2cm margin....certainly a good margin. Cancer is staged by the TNM designation with "T" being the depth that the cancer invaded your colon/rectal wall. If the cancer didn't reach the wall (how could it if the stalk of the polyp was totally clear of cancer??) then how can it be classified as a stage I...when a stage one has to have either a T1 or T2 as the depth measure?

Regardless, your cancer was detected at the earliest stage...the polyp was removed and you should consider yourself extremely fortunate. Try not to dwell on the 'what ifs'. Instead be acutely aware of your body...any different symptoms and be vigilant about being checked up on the schedule that your doctor recommends.

I thought that at first also until I seen this.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/239 ... ted-to-the
And here
http://training.seer.cancer.gov/colorec ... /keys.html

I still feel that because of the stalk being clear, LAR is overkill and not worth the risk, but again, that is just my opinion.

Agree with you, Nik, 100%

Thanks Bev

She also that LAR meant laparoscopic tho. Seems there was alot of confusion here, as you will see in this thread.

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:35 am

Hi Andrea,

All of these abbreviations are hard, huh? You had all of us going with all the LAR talk! :) :) :) My colon resection in 2009 was done via scope. I think I was in the hospital for 5 days, butt I can't remember for sure. The recovery was not too bad and I bet you'll be OK to fly butt that completely depends upon how your recovery goes. IT'S A RECOVERY I HOPE YOU'LL NEVER EXPERIENCE. While it is, of course, your decision, I would strongly encourage you to pass on surgery. It just doesn't make sense. Regardless of the surgery there are quantifiable risks involved (anesthesia complications, post-op infections, hospital-induced infections [MRSA, c-diff} life-long bowel issues, blood clots, etc, etc) Everything in medicine is SUPPOSED to be decided according to the risk/benefit ratio. I can't so the math that says your surgical risk would be less than lymph-node invasion risk! I think I mentioned previously that the anatomical probability of the cancer getting to a node through a NON-INFECTED stalk just doesn't make sense. It sounds like you've had a couple of surgeons who recommended no surgery. I hope you'll follow their advice. Just get follow-up colonoscopies as recommended and enjoy your great good fortune at catching this before it became a more difficult problem.

Best wishes to you.

Bev
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

mike1965

Postby mike1965 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:35 am

Andrea,

Based on everything what u wrote. If it did not reach rectum wall and was only in the top of the polyp than not sure it can be stage 1. However you may want to try something other than LAR surgery. I have tried my best to avoid the LAR surgery but my polyp was flat and was in the first layer. I explored the possibility of the TEM procedure but surgeon said a no go. I did get good news that my surgery was approved. I see the doctor tomorrow finally have a treatment plan. I am happy that I will get answers. Only you can decide what is best for you. Good Luck.
Colonoscopy 09/06/15 Doctor removed polyp
DX - Rectal cancer 09/10/2015 T1M0N0
Surgeon recommended wait and see approach 09/2015
Tumor board recommended LARs Surgery 10/2015
Oncologist and PCP recommended LARs Surgery 11/2015
Seeking 2nd opinion from another Surgeon 01/2016
Having Sigmoidscopy on 02/01/16.
Figured out treatment 02/2016
LARS Surgery 03/2016
Stage 3A T1 N1C M0
Chemo Folfox to begin 04/18/16

survivior

Postby survivior » Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:41 am

Andrea1976 wrote:Please post some inspirational stories!!! Can we beat this forever? When can you consider being cured? Just read stage 1 showed up on liver 10 years later? Is that unusual?

Hello I am 35 years old. I was dignosed in 2002. Colorectal cancer. Had chemo radiation surgeries. And I am cancer free for 13 year now. Did a colonoscopy couple weeks ago and they found a polyp close to rectum. I had transanal excision about 10 days ago . It is benign. So yea there is hope. Just stay positive. I am in pain still from the procedure. But it will pass. Good luck ;)

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:10 am

Bev,

Thanks. Yes, I mixed it all up :shock:

Mike,
Good news for you!!! I was confused. My polyp was higher so I don't need LAR but 2 surgeons are suggesting laparoscopic resection of that part of the descending colon.

Survivor,

Great to hear!!! So happy!!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”