Is this normal???

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
sstrad
Facebook Username: susan.stradling.johnson

Is this normal???

Postby sstrad » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:15 pm

I finished chemo in August. I have gotten much stronger since then, but I am still experiencing muscle and joint pain in my arms, back, legs, ankles and feet. I also get terrible pains across my abdomen that started when chemo started. Onc says none of this is chemo related. I find it hard to believe that no other patients have experienced any of this. My mother also had colon cancer, and after her chemo was over she developed polymyocitis. My primary doctor ran a lot of blood tests, and ruled out the polymyocitis, but wants me to go see a rheumatologist. She put me on prednisone for a little bit, and I felt a lot better, but took me off them when the blood tests didn't show anything.

As I have read through some of the posts about this it looks pretty normal. I'm looking for some advice on how to proceed, and who to go see for some help.
DX 5/10/14
Stage 3 T3N0
5FU + Radiation until 7/5/14
Surgery 9/15
Rectal removal permanent colostomy
4 months wound care with Wound Vac and Hyperbaric treatment
Chemo Feb-July 2015
5Fu
Oxyaliplatin

Nik Colon

Re: Is this normal???

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:52 pm

Sorry, I can't answer your question, but your sig says stage 3, but T3NO(no M mentioned) which would be stage 2a? Wondering if there was a typo.

http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/colo ... cer/stages

Stage IIA: The cancer has grown through the wall of the colon or rectum and has not spread to nearby tissue or to the nearby lymph nodes (T3, N0, M0).

All stage 3 have a number after the N

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:13 pm

Chemo really does a number on you for a long time. Have they done any scans of your abdomen?
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Any number of us have ended up with side effects which include very bad arthritis. Maybe Ron will see this and jump in.

Lisa42 (who died a few years ago) went to every sort of ologist and finally was told that 'if you were ever going to have arthritis, chemo can bring early onset'. I'm 65 and have pain in one knee, my hips, both shoulders/ arms and take my daily aspirin at night, now, so I can sleep. It seems the more I move around, the better it is.

Your onc is off base. My motherboard died and I just got a new computer (used/ rebuilt) today and my bookmarks were not transferred or I'd quickly post a link about FOLFOX and mechanical or tactile allodynia and the study that proved chemo caused CNS (central nervous system damage) that can cause extreme pain to gentle touch or no pain to heat or touch that should cause pain. I was blessed with tactile allodynia and it's always worse at night. My jammies or the sheets brushing across my legs is very painful. I completed chemo in Aug. 2009~~~~

Chemo is poison and causes a lot of bad things along with being helpful for many people.

Here's one I've not read.

http://www.cancercare.mb.ca/resource/File/FPO_Rounds/Daeninck_Chemotherapy-induced_Peripheral_Neuropathy_Mar14.pdf
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

sstrad
Facebook Username: susan.stradling.johnson

Postby sstrad » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:28 am

Nik Colon wrote:Sorry, I can't answer your question, but your sig says stage 3, but T3NO(no M mentioned) which would be stage 2a? Wondering if there was a typo.

http://www.cancer.net/cancer-types/colo ... cer/stages

Stage IIA: The cancer has grown through the wall of the colon or rectum and has not spread to nearby tissue or to the nearby lymph nodes (T3, N0, M0).

All stage 3 have a number after the N

On my reports it says Stage 3 T3N0 Oncologist said technically stage two, but it had gone through the wall of the rectum, but no lymph node involvement. They treated me as though stage 3.
DX 5/10/14
Stage 3 T3N0
5FU + Radiation until 7/5/14
Surgery 9/15
Rectal removal permanent colostomy
4 months wound care with Wound Vac and Hyperbaric treatment
Chemo Feb-July 2015
5Fu
Oxyaliplatin

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:15 am

sstrad wrote:My primary doctor ran a lot of blood tests, and ruled out the polymyocitis, but wants me to go see a rheumatologist. She put me on prednisone for a little bit, and I felt a lot better, but took me off

That you received multiple rounds of chemotherapy with added steroids + experienced "feeling a lot better" when placed on glucocorticosteroids at a later period of time leaves to question the possibility that your present symptoms are due to low serum cortisol (adrenal insufficiency).

Secondary adrenal insufficiency is a little know, but serious, endocrine disorder that can arise from the use of exogenous glucocorticosteroids (ex. dexamethasone added to chemo for relief of nausea). Secondary adrenal insufficiency is not on the radar of most MDs/physicians - but it should be.

A simple blood panel would give a clue. Ask your MD for a "morning baseline cortisol level (fasting) and morning baseline ACTH level." The blood levels must be drawn between 7-8 am (your values will be compared to statistical/expected morning values, cortisol levels following a diurnal pattern/circadian rhythm that is time sensitive). A baseline cortisol level below 5 ug/dl and an ACTH level below 12 warrants follow-up with an endocrinologist.

Anyone who takes corticosteroids (prednisone, dexamethasone) for any extended period of time should be aware of secondary adrenal insufficiency and be on the look-out for signs/symptoms. The pituitary/adrenal glands can be suppressed with use of corticosteroids.

I live with Addison's disease (primary adrenal insufficiency, complete adrenal gland failure). It is no picnic.
- Karen -
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

tif2112
Facebook Username: tif2112

Postby tif2112 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:39 pm

It has been a little over 3 years since chemo/radiation, started having lower back pain about a year and 1/2 ago finally got referred to pain management who is going to do a procedure to hopefully relieve some of the pain. She did say it was mostly likely either caused or exacerbated by the radiation. Also still have female issues and very sensitive in my hands and feet.
51 year old female
Henderson, Nv

T3N0M0
2012 DX - Rectosigmoid Mass, Colon Resection, rx - radiation and chemo
07-24-2014 NED
2014 englarge lymph nodes, biopsy of 1 negative
07-07-2015 even bigger enlarged lymph nodes, shown on MRI & CT
2015 biopsy of bone marrow, lymph nodes-negative
3-6-2018 still enlarged lymph nodes, no diagnosis

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”