Should I have chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
gman3
Facebook Username: 1

Should I have chemo

Postby gman3 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:51 am

I had surgery a week ago doing well right now but I have been told that I will need Chemo. I had Tumor removed from my colon and 28 lymph nodes 1 was positive for cancer . I stayed in the hospital 3 days and came home. My bowel movement is good I drove my car yesterday and my appetite is good. I have read that chemo sometimes can make cancer return I don't know what to do.

PGLGreg

Re: Should I have chemo

Postby PGLGreg » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:04 am

Yes, you should have chemo. Could chemo cause another cancer later? I never heard that, but if it's possible at all, it's surely very unlikely. You have to balance out the good effects and bad effects of chemo, and since there is evidence you still have active cancer in your body, you really don't have a choice.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

gman3

Postby gman3 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:08 am

Thank you for your response I have not really talk to an oncologist yet but I thought if they removed the lymph the cancer was gone they said that it had not spread anywhere.

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:15 pm

gman3 wrote:Thank you for your response I have not really talk to an oncologist yet but I thought if they removed the lymph the cancer was gone they said that it had not spread anywhere.

Of course you'll understand that my advice is comparatively worthless -- just some guy you met on the net. Trust your doctors.

A big problem with treating cancer is telling whether you have it. You can perfectly well have cancer cells in your body that cannot be detected directly, but can grow and spread until they become life threatening. It's important to treat cancer early, so sometimes doctors have to go by the odds. Even if it's possible you have no cancer, if there is a significant chance you do, your best bet may be to have chemotherapy. If you wait for therapy until you are sure that you do have it, it may be too late to keep it from killing you.

The importance of finding cancer in one of the lymph nodes they took out of you is that it is evidence there are cancer cells in your lymphatic system, and from there the cancer can spread to other parts of your body. So it's not the cancer in that one lymph node that you have to worry about, but the cancer cells in your lymphatic system which have not been detected directly, but whose presence is inferred.

If you want to quantify your risk, your oncologist can probably supply you some figures about how likely it is you will survive the next 5 years cancer free if you do not have chemotherapy versus the likelihood of surviving if you do have chemotherapy. Then you can decide if you want to roll the dice. My intuition is that you will find that your chances are poor without chemotherapy.
Greg
NED for 12 years, cured

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:51 pm

Look at it this way. Once the cancer has gotten into your lymphatic system, it could have and possibly has traveled somewhere else. Your lymphatic system is much like the interstate freeway system.....it connects all parts of your body and has entrance/exit 'ramps' everywhere in your body. The fact that one node was found to be cancerous simply means that cancer found it's way into your lymphatic system. Just because they removed that one node doesn't mean that the cancer has/hasn't traveled so some other part of your body. You just don't know that right now so why take the chance by not taking the chemo? Statistically, the fact that the cancer has been detected in your lymphatic system means that you are at a greater risk for having spread....why not minimize that risk NOW before cancer has a chance to set up shop somewhere else in your body? Isn't it better to crush any potential cancer cells that 'may' be in your body when they are tiny and not allow them to grow and become a bigger adversary?

I have never heard of chemo allowing cancer to return...frankly that doesn't make sense. IF that were the case, then WHY would oncologists recommend that you take it? Where did you read this? Look at the source and make sure it isn't from someplace that is totally against traditional medicine. You don't have to take chemo but then be aware that you are taking some very serious risks. I'm not saying that chemo is a walk in the park but think of the consequences if you don't take it. Sure, you may be fine....then again, you may not. Right now, it appears (based solely on what you posted) that it doesn't appear that cancer is anywhere else in your body....BUT....those tests can not tell you with 100% accuracy that one or more microscopic cancer cells aren't somewhere in your body, travelling around ready to wreak havoc in the future. The docs said it hadn't spread anywhere based solely on those tests and possibly a quick look during surgery....but please, remember that those tests can't detect one or two cells that may somewhere in your body and a simple look during surgery can't necessarily detect spread everywhere. Those tests can only show a small tumor (not a cell or two) that has already set up it's new home somewhere in your body.

It's your life and you are the only one who can make the determination about what to do. Frankly, this isn't some 'gray' area where the risk/benefit of chemo is questioned. You are a stage III and the fact that the cancer has entered your lymph system puts you at a higher risk of recurrence than if it hadn't....those are statistics. You do, however, have something in your arsenal that you can use to help minimize those risks...CHEMO. Why not take advantage of it? Listen to the doctors....they are giving you the best advice that is out there based on years of experience and statistics.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

O Stoma Mia

Postby O Stoma Mia » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:14 pm

Would you be able to get a printed copy of the surgery pathology report that mentions the 28 nodes and other details? This report will give information on other various risk factors such as tumor type, lympho-vascular invasion, etc., that are present in your case. Then you need to study your pathology report and look at the big picture, which includes all of the known risk factors present at this time.

While it may be true that you are NED (No Evidence of Disease) right now after surgery, this doesn't take into account the fact that there are possibly many Circulating Tumor Cells (CTC) that are far too small to show up on any scan at the present time. These are the threats that you want to minimize with chemo while they are still small and vulnerable.

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:22 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote:While it may be true that you are NED (No Evidence of Disease) right now after surgery, ...

Well, it's not true. Cancer found in a lymph node is evidence of disease.
Greg
NED for 12 years, cured

gman3

Postby gman3 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Thank you Guys for all the information I think that you are right I will need to do the Chemo . I want to live to see my 1st grandchild 5mths old grow up. I am 58 years old I have never been sick a day in my life and I had never been in the hospital before. This is all new to me and kind of hard to understand everything. I do have a lot of faith in God and that what has gotten me to this point I appreciate everything that each of you have said.

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:24 pm

Yes, chemo can cause other cancer later. It is possible, but it doesn't happen to everyone. Whereas, you know you have this cancer right now. Chemo can make it less likely to come back. I would do the chemo.

http://ctep.cancer.gov/protocolDevelopm ... FOLFOX.doc
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

horizon

Postby horizon » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:11 pm

I had a similar situation and I have no regrets about doing chemo. Each person is different but I couldn't have lived with the regret if it came back and I hadn't done everything that was available to prevent that when I could have.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

chrisca

Postby chrisca » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:21 pm

Were I in your position, I would have the chemo. I am very glad I did mine even though I didn't have any lymph node involvement. The only caveat is I don't know the details of your surgery and diagnosis. As with any decision you need to talk with your doctor and discuss the details of your particular situation. Then, ask what chemo is recommended (there are many kinds, each with their own pluses and minuses) and do some homework, including a second opinion, to be sure this recommendation is the best for you. As others have noted, any time a lymph node is positive for cancer it could mean it has "escaped" and is trying to set up shop somewhere else in the body.

A second consideration is whether or not to do radiation. Radiation often has more negative effects than chemo but it can be a necessary tool. Your oncologists will also discuss this if it's recommended. Radiation is only useful for killing cancer at a localized site, while chemo works throughout the body. That's why it's a good idea in most situations.
Male, false negative colonoscopy age 48
DX: 12/2010 rectal cancer age 51
Stage T3N0M0 2 cm from anal verge
neoadjuvant rad/chemo Xeloda
Rectal resection (open surgery) straight anastomosis
Xeloda round 2
ileostomy reversal 11/2011
Successful adhesion X-lap 8/2013
Ongoing LAR syndrome but NED 10 years

Cj51

Postby Cj51 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:06 am

PGL Greg said

X2.
DX Stage IIIb RC, T3N1M0, April 2010, 51
6 wks Xelox/rad 6/10
resection, temp illeostomy 8/10 Complete response!
12 rounds FOLFOX for clean up 9/10, Allergic to Oxi, started Xeloda only 12/10
Ileo takedown 9/28/11
4/2020 NED

NZJay

Postby NZJay » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:11 am

Do chemo. That is 100% the best decision.
11-13 Dx CC
SPS T4b(touched stomach organ),N1(3/23),M0(Stage 3B)
11-13: resect + partial gastrect
2-14: 1 Tx Cape + Oxy; renal failure, colitis
4-14: 7 Tx Capecitabine
1-15: clear CT
7-15: clear scope
1-16: clear CT
3-17: clear CT
10-17: clear scope (5 year gap now!)
CEA@dx: 8.4 / 6-15: 4.0 / 10-15: 4.2 / 2-16: 4.9 / 7-16: 4.9 / 11-16: 5.0 / 6-17: 4.5
NED since resection

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:29 am

It's highly unlikely that I'll have the option to do mop-up chemo because I had problems tolerating the first infusion, but if I was allowed to do it, I would. Anything you can do to kill every last stray cancer cell floating around in your body is worth it, IMO.

Good luck and be sure to stop back here for information on managing chemo side effects and to keep us updated on your progress.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:47 am

Cj51 wrote:PGL Greg said

X2.

BUTT....if it has been removed it is NED, no EVIDENCE of CURRENT cancer. Yes, it WAS there, but being removed = NED. That does not mean there IS NONE, just what was seen has been removed, again NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE after surgery (seen cacer was removed). Big difference. Again, NED does not mean NO CANCER, just no EVIDENCE of it still in the body. The lymph that was removed showed cancer, yes, but again, it was removed, hence currently NED. Which is what the reply was about. She said "may be NED right now"
Last edited by Nik Colon on Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”