Delayed Side effects of Oxali?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lynch2015
Facebook Username: tiffany.mccleary

Delayed Side effects of Oxali?

Postby lynch2015 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:08 pm

My last oxali infusion was 11/20. After that my platelets were too low for anymore chemo for 2 weeks. Then I had infected tooth roots which delayed chemo again. I had 4 treatments with oxali, then decided to finish the last 4 treatments with Xeloda only due to many factors. I just started my 6th round of Xeloda on Thursday (yay, only 2 more to go!). However, the last week or so I've noticed a lot of joint pain, mainly in my fingers, knees and toes. Along with that, I'm having trouble opening jars, getting a good grip on things. Is this a delayed effect from the Oxali, an effect of Xeloda, just getting older (31 in March lol), or a combination of the above? My next onc appt is in February, I'll mention it then but wondering others opinions?
Lynch positive 2011
Dx stage 3b CC 6/2015
Right hemicolectomy 7/2015
Xeloda and Oxaliplatin 9/2015, 8 rounds
Xeloda reduced 10/2015
Oxaliplatin reaction on rounds 2 & 3
Oxaliplatin reduced to 75%
Oxaliplatin administered over 5 hrs to avoid reaction
Wife and mommy to 4 girls

radicabyn

Re: Delayed Side effects of Oxali?

Postby radicabyn » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:40 pm

My dad's on oxali now. His doctor explained that the reason the body can tolerate only so many doses is the cumulative buildup of sensory neuropathy. My under-educated guess is the oxali is your culprit.

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:40 pm

One of the delayed side effects of OXI is according to my hand surgeon, is a predisposition to arthritis; you might have gotten it anyhow but it comes on earlier and is more pronounced. I am unfortunately a lot older than you, but I did not have any significant joint pain until after I was off chemo. I have had three rounds of physical therapy since I finished my cancer treatments and will start another round in February. I have problems with my back, right hip (assumed to be piriformis which would be muscular) my left calf, my right hand, my right foot, and probably some others I have forgotten about; I use a variety of hand braces at night and custom orthotics. You can see from my signature I finished FOLFOX in May, 2011 and specifically with OXI in March, 2011.

I am not complaining; I had the choice to do chemo and I did it and do not regret it. I just wish that the oncologists were more open about possible side effects so they do not come on as a surprise. The back pain was the first one I got and it was only a year after finishing chemo so I was pretty panicky at first that it was caused by a recurrence or spread of the cancer.

Physical exercise does help me a lot. My onc talked about free classes at the local Y for cancer survivors and I would have done that if I could. We live on an island served by ferry (no bridge) so I do two miles (a half hour) on the treadmill each morning and I do as much walking here as I can. Our property is very vertical so that can be a frustration.

I wish you good luck in getting to the bottom of this.

Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:48 pm

My last chemo was Aug 2009. I have continued to develope chemo related problems. My newest that has been proven in studies and published papers is Tactile Allodynia. It's also called Mechanical Allodynia. It's always worse at the end of the day and can be quite painful. The slightest brush of a sheet or jammies across my legs is painful as if a bad sunburn was rubbed very hard. Rubbing the area roughly causes no pain.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

lynch2015
Facebook Username: tiffany.mccleary

Postby lynch2015 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:06 pm

Thank you everyone. I'm guessing it's the oxi, or maybe even arthritis. Guess we'll see whatthe doc says next month. I've had knee pain previously, but the finger/toe joint pain is new.
Lynch positive 2011
Dx stage 3b CC 6/2015
Right hemicolectomy 7/2015
Xeloda and Oxaliplatin 9/2015, 8 rounds
Xeloda reduced 10/2015
Oxaliplatin reaction on rounds 2 & 3
Oxaliplatin reduced to 75%
Oxaliplatin administered over 5 hrs to avoid reaction
Wife and mommy to 4 girls

wwroam
Facebook Username: Wayne Whitaker

Postby wwroam » Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Four rounds of Oxi isn't really a lot but we all have different responses.
My SO has now completed 15 rounds of Oxi. She had Oxi for 9 cycles ( when PN kicked in, but which hasn't really worsened), had a break for 5 cycles and until this week another 6 cycles. The Oxi was very effective. The last 2 cycles resulted in hospital admissions from a reaction to Oxi. Tomorrow she commences a de-sensitization program so that she can hopefully be able to continue with the Oxi.
I find it amazing how much Oxi the body can endure.
Stage 3a DX 25/06/07
Folfox complete 30/01/08
7 years NED
Port scheduled for removal 8/02/10 Gone.
PSA .54 No prostate problems
Diagnosed Type 2 Diabetic
SO diagnosed CC Stage IV Liver Mets 23/03/15

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”