life after chemo

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Talib
Facebook Username: Tali Bellish

life after chemo

Postby Talib » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:35 pm

Next week I am going to have the 12th and hopefully last chemo session. two weeks after I have a pet CT scheduled with results the following day.
I am soooo scared. First, from the results. Second, from the idea that if anything is left it will now grow without disturbance.
Third, I keep reading how people who recover from cancer make many lifestyle changes that I know I will not be able to make. So, If I don't take supplements and I will never stop eating sugar am I feeding the cancer? (sports I do)
And finally, I know I will be very lonely because the way I see it already now, everyone has moved on as if I am cured and everything is over. I feel as if the journey is just starting.
colon cancer - June 2015
45 yrs old at diagnosis
stage III B- 2/32 lymph nodes positive
surgery - July 2015
chemo - FOLFOX August 15 - Feb 16
Feb 16 Pet CT - NED
Sep 16 CT - NED
Jan 17- CT - NED
May 17 liver ultrasound - clear
Nov 17 CT - NED

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Re: life after chemo

Postby jens22 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:51 pm

Congrats on getting ready for your final chemo.....As a stage 3 Person I can tell you first hand that it took some time to recover after chemo. That first scan after is scary. Little by little with each victory of low CEAs and Negative scans i was able to let go. My friends and family still were there for me. Life style changes haven't happened in the way I would like them to but the way i change Lives of others still do. The people I can now help...the empathy I now Have...the support I can now give. Still taking it one day at a time and so will you.
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

horizon

Postby horizon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Eat a sensible diet, get some exercise in, etc.

No one ever told me to stop eating sugar.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:24 pm

Sugar does not feed cancer. I take D3, but that's about it. Just do what you can. It is very scary when you quit chemo, even though it's nice not to be on it. I have been done with chemo for a few months now and the scans are scary. Wishing you the best.

Scaredsless

Postby Scaredsless » Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:01 am

I was so relieved when I was through chemo and radiation that I experienced a three-week natural High. I will look up every day feeling glad to be alive and worried about nothing. I just wish I could maintain that feeling because it's how I want to feel all of the time.
Stage 2, T3, CRC, starting chem/rad 01/12/15
Fluorouracil 6 weeks

Talib

Postby Talib » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:26 pm

Thank you for the responses. I guess there is nothing to do about the fear from scans. But I need a plan for the day after. What do I do? I cannot do the same sports I did before because of the port ( tennis and running). What do you guys do?

Please tell me more what you guys did. I guess I am not looking for radical changes (actually reading about all the people who "cured" themselves by making major changes in their lives depresses me because I know I won't do it) I want to find the smaller things that are important or at least will make me feel like I am doing something different, better than I did when I got this disease.

Thank you all, you are amazing I hope I will get to the point of being able to help and support others like you do.
colon cancer - June 2015
45 yrs old at diagnosis
surgery - July 2015
Feb 16 Pet CT - NED
Sep 16 CT - NED
Jan 17- CT - NED
Nov 17 CT - NED

JoyceV
Facebook Username: jbrinkmannorton

Postby JoyceV » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:53 pm

While I still do not look forward to my scans, I do not get nearly as anxious about them or day to day after starting Lexapro. I am no longer consumed on a daily basis with my cancer as I was. You may want to talk with your doctor about some kind of anti-anxiety medication. It has changed my life and my daily outlook as well as changed my husband's life who has always been my rock through the cancer years!
9/11 Colon Resection
33 lymph nodes removed - none cancerous
Stage 1
5/13 two mets to liver
5/13 successful liver resection
NED since liver resection
12 folfox - 9 w/oxi

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:11 pm

Talib wrote:Thank you for the responses. I guess there is nothing to do about the fear from scans. But I need a plan for the day after. What do I do? I cannot do the same sports I did before because of the port ( tennis and running). What do you guys do?

Please tell me more what you guys did. I guess I am not looking for radical changes (actually reading about all the people who "cured" themselves by making major changes in their lives depresses me because I know I won't do it) I want to find the smaller things that are important or at least will make me feel like I am doing something different, better than I did when I got this disease.

Thank you all, you are amazing I hope I will get to the point of being able to help and support others like you do.

Talib,

I don't see why your port should keep you from tennis or running. We have many runners on here - I'm not one. I used to play tennis but stopped due to low energy. I'm trying to get back to it, but at a lower pace. If you have concerns about what restrictions the port places on your activities, talk to your doctor. Best of luck!
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Talib

Postby Talib » Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:49 pm

There are no restrictions officially but the fact is that if I run or play tennis, the area around the port hurts. It prob moves and touches a nerve or something but it's just the way it is.
colon cancer - June 2015
45 yrs old at diagnosis
surgery - July 2015
Feb 16 Pet CT - NED
Sep 16 CT - NED
Jan 17- CT - NED
Nov 17 CT - NED

lynch2015
Facebook Username: tiffany.mccleary

Postby lynch2015 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:52 pm

I totally understand! I've got 2 rounds left. I know I'll have a scan shortly after, my colonoscopy is coming up in July amd that worries me being my first and only scope so far found cancer. I'm in the same boat as well as far as family/friends....everyone has moved on from helping me as if I'm cured and done with it all. My mother has even went as far as taking something out of context that my husband and I tried discussing with her and she is no longer talking to me or visiting my kids, let alone helping me,out. Although, my grandma is very busy now taking care of my grandpa who is just starting his journey with rectal cancer.....my grandma even talked to my great aunt to make sure she would be more readily available, and she said she would be but has since offered to attend my grandpas appts with her so I'm now left with the decision on hiring some help (4 kids, 3 college classes and chemo/appts). I wish I had something more encouraging to say butt....I'm in the same boat.....just floating along. Lol
Lynch positive 2011
Dx stage 3b CC 6/2015
Right hemicolectomy 7/2015
Xeloda and Oxaliplatin 9/2015, 8 rounds
Xeloda reduced 10/2015
Oxaliplatin reaction on rounds 2 & 3
Oxaliplatin reduced to 75%
Oxaliplatin administered over 5 hrs to avoid reaction
Wife and mommy to 4 girls

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:57 pm

Talib wrote:Thank you for the responses. I guess there is nothing to do about the fear from scans. But I need a plan for the day after. What do I do? I cannot do the same sports I did before because of the port ( tennis and running). What do you guys do?

I made no changes. The port will heal quick. I am ned and live the same as I did b4

horizon

Postby horizon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:22 am

Nik Colon wrote:I made no changes. The port will heal quick. I am ned and live the same as I did b4

Agreed. I lifted weights, did pullups, etc with my port in. I remember being bummed out getting one and SkiFletch telling me that he lifted weights and did scuba (!) with his in. Really gave me some hope.
I'm just a dude who still can't believe he had a resection and went through chemo (currently 13 years NED). Is this real life?

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:11 pm

My wife runs, (though not as much as she did because of fatigue from Chemo) works her dogs, rides horses, and in general everything she did before, with only one exception. She can't shoulder her shotgun when we are out grouse hunting any more. Her port is too near where she would place the butt of the gun, and that would be very uncomfortable. I have heard from a couple folks here on the forum however that they have shot without any ill effects to their port. I don't think you should have any concern about taking up most any sport that provides exercise.

As for diet - a sensible one which is in moderation would be best. Juicing, Lemon/Bicarbonate water and most all that internet nonsense you can just leave alone - they won't help. Suddenly becoming a vegan won't likely help either. A few supplements if you can't get what you need from dietary sources might be a good idea, but a healthy diet you should be able to get all those from eating right. Though sometimes these vitamins are not absorbed as well after a colon resection. My wife was a very fit, healthy and athletic person prior to her stage 4b dx with colon cancer. So much so that her primary care doctor NEVER discussed seriously a colonoscopy with her even though she had reached 50. Before she got a referral to a GI doctor for a scope to confirm, her doctor suggested her bowel issues might be due to diverticulitis. Wish it had been!

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:44 pm

in 2014 & 2015 prior to getting my port removed I did about 8 "official" event 1/2 marathons, and I ran about 3,000 miles. I had a port in the entire time and I had no issues so I am not sure why your port would be "hurting". I was / am fairly slight of build so there was not a lot of fat to protect the port.

Diet, eat what makes you happy and will feed you for running. I eat a predominantly whole food, plant based diet, which is high in veggies. I take supplements, but more so for my own piece of mind, than any major belief that they will help me "beat cancer". They may help or assist, and they may not but I feel better for doing something. I eat a lot of veggies, and cook myself a lot so I don't really get a lot of sugar. I fuel myself with the veggies (turns into glucose) and carbs (turns into glucose) which are stored in your body as glycogen which you replenish when you run. Why eat sugar? If you need sugar when running just use some of the endurance gels which are full of carbs and can be used by your muscles.

I got my port out after 2 years from last resection but I had no issues for the 2 years it was in.
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

horizon

Postby horizon » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:13 pm

kiwiinoz wrote:in 2014 & 2015 prior to getting my port removed I did about 8 "official" event 1/2 marathons, and I ran about 3,000 miles.

My brain exploded when I read 3000 miles. :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”