I don't know the current research on how long to wait but I do recall seeing the curve I think you are referring to back when I was making my decision. So, I can only share my experience.
My local surgeon did an MRI @6-8 weeks after the end of radiation (did chemo before radiation). And a flex sig @8 weeks (can't remember exact days but know roughly when it was). There was some hazy question as to my MRI (tumor was gone but something about my uterine wall). As for my flex sig (which local surgeon felt was the most impt metric), the tumor was completely gone. My local tumor board didn't think I was a candidate for W&W but my local surgeon was willing to wait another 4 weeks to do another MRI - but recommended I go seek another opinion at MSK.
A month later (delayed a week by snowstorm), which was probably at 12 weeks or so after end of radiation, I had an MRI @MSK and a flex sig and their tumor board/surgeon felt I was a candidate. Both surgeons (here and there) felt flex sig was most impt. metric.
I know this doesn't help you with timing. What does your surgeon think about waiting additional time? They are most familiar with your case. I don't know where you are but I am a firm believer in second opinions - even if you like your surgeon. Why not get an appt with another W&W friendly facility/surgeon and get a second opinion. (I know this is difficult in the current virus situation. I know this because I may not be able to have my appts in May, which is scary! But perhaps they can at least do a telehealth if you forward them your notes/MRI.) This way you will have a few experts opinions to help make your decision.
Good luck and keep us posted.
roadrunner wrote:Hey guys quick question: I just got MRI (a little over 12 weeks since CRT) results today that showed a “near cCR.” It sounded like the radiologist wasn’t exactly sure whether there was any remaining cancer or not. My surgeon, who is fantastic, wants to wait about 5 weeks then do a flex sig to decide on surgery or W&W through palpating/observation. Of course, I ran home (well, I was home since it was a video conference!) and started researching this situation. I found some interesting material suggesting that many (or most?) people in my situation will end up with a cCR if given enough time. One suggested 18-22 weeks from CRT is optimal to maximize the chance of cCR (I will be at 18 or so, so I’m wondering if I should push it back a bit?). The studies also back my surgeon up that MRI is not the best way to decide this, and that there are visual signs that are more conclusive. I’m very comfortable with and trust my surgeon, as I said, but want full information as I go forward. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge (or links) on near cCRs and W&W-friendly current approaches to same? Thanks for any info.