David Bowie

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lydia666

David Bowie

Postby Lydia666 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:58 am

Whenever someone dies before old age, i say- cancer, i bet! Now i try to find out what kind of cancer it was and they aren't saying any details which upsets me!

RIP david bowie!
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

drebay

Re: David Bowie

Postby drebay » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:12 pm

I saw Liver on one site
6/13 Age 45 mom of 11 and 13 yr old DX Stage IV liver mets
7/13 colon surgery
9/13 Folfox
11/13 Xeliri
3/14 more liver mets
4/14 Lung Met
4/14 Liver resect delayed;lung resect done
5/14 Surg not an option
9/14 Stivarga
3/15 Back to IV Chemo
6/15 Avastin
9/15 In Clinical Trial

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:17 pm

Yes, I read liver cancer too.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/musi ... atest.html

I loved David Bowie's music. My twenty something kids and my husband and I all listen to his music. It's all so classic and timeless. His new album was a gift to say good bye. He was as cool in death as he was throughout his life.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:46 pm

One of the greatest musical geniuses of our time ! RIP David.
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:23 pm

Although I can understand the curiosity of finding out what kind of cancer it was that took Bowie, particularly from us cancer people, I don't want to know, and it's really none of our business. This man's entire life, as a global superstar, was out in the open. Everything, good and bad, celebrities like him have no privacy, and most of them hate that fact. Let's let him die in peace, in his own way. By the way the last album is very beautiful and a bit haunting, listen to it if you can.
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
Feb - colon resection - 2/17 nodes positive
April - liver mets - Stage 4
3 months Folfox chemotherapy
August '10 liver resection and HAI pump
7 months chemo FUDR HAI and Folfiri systemic
NED since August 2010
Last treatment April 2011
HAI Pump removed Dec 2015

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:01 pm

Actually, I just read that he had lung cancer that spread to his liver. Now, knowing how so many ordinary people don't seem to 'get it' when it comes to cancer and spread....I can see that IF the cancer spread to his liver, then someone would say he had liver cancer. Regardless of whether it was lung with spread to liver or primary liver...what does it matter? If he didn't want people to know, then that was his business. He smoked like a fiend and even to the end, he was photographed with a cigarette in his mouth. Can you imagine the uproar that likely would have been if he had come out and said he was dxd with lung cancer that had spread to his liver AND was still smoking?

He does have a family....one that maybe doesn't want it all over the news about his particular cancer. Trying to figure it out isn't going to make a whit of difference and if it was a cancer that spread...that is more maddening to read about the stupidity of journalists who can't get even the simplest of facts correct.
Dx 6/22/2006 IIA rectal cancer
6 wks rad/Xeloda -finished 9/06
1st attempt transanal excision 11/06
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
5 months Xeloda only Dec '06 - April '07
10+ blood clots, 1 DVT 1/07
transanal excision 4/20/07 path-NO CANCER CELLS!
NED now and forever!
Perform random acts of kindness

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:06 am

I wonder if those six heart attacks Bowie is reported to have suffered were side-effects
of whatever treatment he was receiving to slow-down the progress of the cancer.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:10 am

weisssoccermom wrote: He smoked like a fiend and even to the end, he was photographed with a cigarette in his mouth.

Unless you actually lived with David Bowie, how can you say, with any authority, that he smoked like a fiend? And as for
the photograph - cigarette as prop?

:roll:
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:27 am

It is easy to say he smoked like a fiend since he himself admitted it in interviews. Last night on the news, his 'rep' even said the same. As for the photographs of him with smoking, that again was something that this 'rep' indicated as well was a known fact. I'm not judging him....if he wanted to smoke...let him. Even if he DID have lung cancer that metastasized and he smoked after diagnosis, I don't fault him for that. I saw what it was like on this forum when a former member had VATS and continued to smoke....she was raked over the coals for it....told that she should quit, etc. Now, don't get me wrong, I think she should have quit but recognize that it isn't as easy as that.
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
NED now and forever!

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:51 am

We all do the best we can....And haven't we all seen and heard of people that lived to 90 smoking and drinking every day? And marathon runners having heart attacks at an early age, and vegetarian healthy people taken away by cancers? So we try, we put our seat belts on, or not, we try to eat healthy, or not, we exercise, or not, we take risks, or not. We get one life here LIVE IT.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:23 pm

What I'm curious about is not what kind of cancer he had, but where he was treated. Since he spent a lot of time in NYC, I would assume Sloan-Kettering. My question then would be, how do they handle celebrity patients at MSKCC and other high-profile institutions? One would presume that they arrange special times and places for procedures and consults. That's not what I've been told. According to one former Kemeny staffer that I met at the hospital, celebs are treated just like anyone else and "that's the way they like it." But I seriously doubt that. I've never seen Mr. Bowie or any other celebrity cooling their heels in the 5th floor waiting room at 160 East 53rd St.

Yes, Bowie was a great talent in so many respects. Died way too young, but it just goes to show that money and fame only go so far. We're all made of the same, mortal clay. Even Ziggy Stardust.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:15 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:It is easy to say he smoked like a fiend since he himself admitted it in interviews. Last night on the news, his 'rep' even said the same. As for the photographs of him with smoking, that again was something that this 'rep' indicated as well was a known fact. I'm not judging him....if he wanted to smoke...let him. Even if he DID have lung cancer that metastasized and he smoked after diagnosis, I don't fault him for that. I saw what it was like on this forum when a former member had VATS and continued to smoke....she was raked over the coals for it....told that she should quit, etc. Now, don't get me wrong, I think she should have quit but recognize that it isn't as easy as that.

Sorry, sounds very judgmental
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
NED since August 2010

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm certain that all the celebrities, heads of state and assorted illuminati are treated like VIPs at MSK. Separate entrances, wings at the main hospital, private meetings with the physicians, etc. I doubt very much they would be waiting on the 4th floor for hours with the rest of us plebes for their appointments. Money and fame always give you a step up.
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
NED since August 2010

weisssoccermom

Postby weisssoccermom » Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:07 pm

Sorry you feel it is judgmental because it wasn't meant to be. I was merely trying to point out that IF a person wants to smoke, etc. even if that person has or had cancer....it's not my decision whether or not he/she should or shouldn't. I don't smoke so can't possibly understand how difficult it is for people to smoke...even though I have heard it is. Just like some people (myself included) stress eat, I know that many people smoke when they are stressed. Why wouldn't someone be 'stressed' if they were facing an imminent death? My FIL had pancreatic cancer and was obviously dying from it...the docs could do nothing for him. He was a heavy drinker and although I don't drink, I didn't fault him for drinking after his diagnosis. Many family members kept trying to tell him to quit, thinking that stopping would somehow 'cure' him or stop the progression of his disease. Why should he stop? Would it prolong his life? NO. If drinking was able to dull the pain (both physical and emotional) for him, why not?

Bowie was very open and upfront about his smoking and he said he wished he had never started and/or that he was able to quit. He said it, not me. How is that judgmental? It was HIS life and he had every right (just as we all do) to live it whatever way he wanted. As long as he wasn't promoting the idea of smoking...somehow saying it was perfectly acceptable, etc., it was his decision what he wanted to do/not to do.
11/17/06 XELOX 1 cycle
NED now and forever!

Lydia666

Postby Lydia666 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:12 pm

weisssoccermom wrote:Sorry you feel it is judgmental because it wasn't meant to be. I was merely trying to point out that IF a person wants to smoke, etc. even if that person has or had cancer....it's not my decision whether or not he/she should or shouldn't. I don't smoke so can't possibly understand how difficult it is for people to smoke...even though I have heard it is. Just like some people (myself included) stress eat, I know that many people smoke when they are stressed. Why wouldn't someone be 'stressed' if they were facing an imminent death? My FIL had pancreatic cancer and was obviously dying from it...the docs could do nothing for him. He was a heavy drinker and although I don't drink, I didn't fault him for drinking after his diagnosis. Many family members kept trying to tell him to quit, thinking that stopping would somehow 'cure' him or stop the progression of his disease. Why should he stop? Would it prolong his life? NO. If drinking was able to dull the pain (both physical and emotional) for him, why not?

Bowie was very open and upfront about his smoking and he said he wished he had never started and/or that he was able to quit. He said it, not me. How is that judgmental? It was HIS life and he had every right (just as we all do) to live it whatever way he wanted. As long as he wasn't promoting the idea of smoking...somehow saying it was perfectly acceptable, etc., it was his decision what he wanted to do/not to do.

I did not think it was judgemental.
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”