Newly Diagnosed at 25

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
FutureLawyer05

Newly Diagnosed at 25

Postby FutureLawyer05 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:41 am

Hi everyone,

I have read a few posts for a while but I was afraid to write anything, but this seems to be the only positive and very informative forum I can find for people dealing with cc like me. I was recently diagnosed on December 4th, after experiencing major stomach pains and fevers. On December 1st I was rushed to the hospital where they did a CT scan and found I had a tumor, and I am Stage 3b.I was in the hospital for 9 days, and they removed the tumor and I believe it was 30 lymph nodes, and 3 were malignant. My oncologist is very nice and informative, and even requested I do a second opinion in hackensack, just to be sure the plan of action (with folfox) will be the best one to cure me. I just recently had a pet scan done, and I haven't been feeling so great lately because I'm nervous the surgeons may have missed something or the cancer will spread. The first week or 2 I cried everyday because I have a 2 year old and I don't want her to lose me. Then my oncologist said I have a very weak cancer so that made me feel better, and I won't lose my hair. It's hard b/c I feel like everything around me is cancer. It's always on TV, movies, celebs are dying, and it puts me back in a sad place. I want to watch my baby grow. It hurts because I never thought I would be 25 dealing with this. I'm preparing to get my port put in this week and I'm praying I will be able to fight through. I hope everyone on this forum will be healed.

Andrea1976

Re: Newly Diagnosed at 25

Postby Andrea1976 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:39 pm

Sorry to hear!!! I am just at the beginning but CT scan found low density lesions on my liver and other lesions too small to diagnosed. I am being sent for MRI. But 1st to G doctor to have colonoscopy. Also have 2 kids and no other family. So I sm so scared.

CaliforniaBagMan

Postby CaliforniaBagMan » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Well, best of luck to you and I hope all goes well.

I don't believe your future reaction to chemo and treatments can be reliably predicted. There are so many variables at work.

I'm sure this is a terrifying ordeal, but you also can't watch and believe everything you see on TV. I was diagnosed Stage IIIB in July 2007, did not have surgery until Nov 2007. Been NED ever since. I hope your treatments go smoother and are a successful as mine were!
CT guided biopsy on mass - still NED !!!
CT scan finds new 2x3cm mass on 10/09
APR surgery 11/07; NED thereafter
Folfox/radiation 9/07-10/07
DX Stage III rectal cancer 7/07

Wishingonastar

Postby Wishingonastar » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:00 pm

Hi,

So sorry to hear you're going through this too. I'm a 28 year old mum of two (3 and 8months) and I'm stage 3b... So I can't claim to know exactly how u feel I can guess we feel pretty similar!
I'm now into round 3 of chemo (xelox though) and it's not fun but I'm coping. My husbands taken charge & I have to let him for this time as I'm pretty run down BUT I'm doing it for them.

This majorly majorly sucks but my oncologist & surgeon have repeatedly told me we're aiming for full cure. There's obviously no guarantee but there's hope for us both to see our children grow up. It's tearing me apart & wish I could take this all away for us all but that's what the surgery & chemo is for. My advice would be get lots help with your wee one & get your head down & get through chemo. Then in ten years time hopefully we can be the survivor stories that inspire hope in others. Hugs from Scotland x
Diagnosed 8th oct 2015 with upper rectal cancer aged 28. 4.5 months postpartum
LAR & TME 12th oct, no stoma.
pT3 4/25 nodes stage 3
Started cap/oxy 13th November 2015
CT scan: Nov 2016 NED

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:05 pm

Hi and welcome,

So sorry for the reason you are here, but you have come to the right place for a ton of information and support. We do get here what you are going through.

Getting a cancer diagnoses is very scary and suddenly every commercial and front page news is dealing with cancer. It's always been there, you are just more sensitive to it now. Butt know that many people are beating this cancer today. I was a stage 3C (6/13 nodes positive) and I'm still alive and kicking after 11 yrs. There are drug options that are allowing people to fight this cancer, so do not give up on hope!

Getting a 2nd opinion is always a good idea. You want to give 110% now and not look back with regrets. Do you know if you have colon or rectal cancer? If you have rectal, you might want to consider radiation as a precaution.

Again, welcome,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

FutureLawyer05

Postby FutureLawyer05 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 4:21 pm

Thank you everyone,

Yes it was colon, not rectal to my knowledge. I am getting the second opinion also to see if radiation was necessary, so I assume I will know soon. I'll keep everyone posted. I am so glad to hear encouraging words from everyone! I have already begun trying to include cancer fighting foods in my daily life. If you have any suggestions, I am open to them! Thanks again!

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:14 pm

Please double check on the radiation issue. If it's colon cancer and not rectal, then radiation is not indicated and can do harm to your intestines without receiving any benefit. My husband's cancer was in his colon, cecum to be specific and the oncologist told us that he would have radiation after 6 mo of folfox. We went to a reputable cancer hospital for a second opinion and the oncologist about fell of his chair when we told him that our local oncologist recommended radiation as part of the treatment. Radiation to my knowledge is only used in rectal cancer, not colon. Needless to say we did not do the radiation and just underwent 6mo of folfox. Were just about 5 years out now and he's been ned since surgery.

Wishing you the best,

deb m

Andrea1976

Postby Andrea1976 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 1:46 pm

So sorry again that you are dealing with this so young. I am trying to schedule for colonoscopy and so far I only have the earliest appoitment end of Jan for consultation. Everybody here says go to reputable center. What does it mean? I am at DFW area. Do we go to the hospital?

ANDRETEXAS

Postby ANDRETEXAS » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:09 pm

Welcome to the forum. You will find many people here who can answer your questions as you go through your course of action. Stay positive, stay truthful with your medical team, don't read old statistical information that doesn't apply to you individually and take each day as it comes. A cancer diagnosis of any type is earth-shattering for anyone, but once you've set a plan of attack with your medical team, you will find the courage and resolve to win. You can get through this ! Don't forget that. Andre
2/10/14 - Colon resect
2/13 - DX- Stage IIIb
6 of 18 lymph nodes cancerous
3/7 - Port placed
3/11 - FOLFOX (12 rds w/full oxi)
8/14 - Chemo finish
8/25 - CT- Inc
9/5 - clean PET
12/10- clean CT

3/2/15 - Clean colonoscopy & port removed
3/4 - clean CT
9/21- clean CT

3/23/16 - clean CT

2/22/17- clean CT

3/21/18 - clean CT
4/1 - clean colonoscopy

3/11/19 - clean CT
9/23 - Five-year release - Annual visits now !

4/13/23 - clean colonoscopy

ONE DAY AT A TIME !

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Postby KElizabeth » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:58 pm

Very sorry you are going through this. There are many of us here who know your worries for your children. It can be so scary in the first weeks and we've all been there. The nightmares and sleepless nights will end as you adjust to your new normal. The anxiety will subside as you embrace the fighter inside you. You are young and healthy so you can endure this.
Stay strong.
Elizabeth
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current

chrisca

Postby chrisca » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:49 pm

Andrea1976 wrote:So sorry again that you are dealing with this so young. I am trying to schedule for colonoscopy and so far I only have the earliest appoitment end of Jan for consultation. Everybody here says go to reputable center. What does it mean? I am at DFW area. Do we go to the hospital?

MD Anderson is one of the best, and it's in Houston. Not quite in your backyard, but it could be worth the trip if you have any doubts about your local provider. http://www.mdanderson.org/
Male, false negative colonoscopy age 48
DX: 12/2010 rectal cancer age 51
Stage T3N0M0 2 cm from anal verge
neoadjuvant rad/chemo Xeloda
Rectal resection (open surgery) straight anastomosis
Xeloda round 2
ileostomy reversal 11/2011
Successful adhesion X-lap 8/2013
Ongoing LAR syndrome but NED 10 years

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:30 pm

I know what you mean. It's like when you are trying to get pregnant and everywhere you look there are women with babies or pregnant women. The fact is, they were there all the time, but now you notice them more because of your situation. The same thing happened with me right after I was diagnosed--I would pick up an innocent looking book or turn on a movie that was supposed to be romantic to distract myself and halfway through-bam, someone gets diagnosed with cancer. It seemed to be everywhere, but it was just because I was more sensitive to it.

I'm sorry you are going through this and about all I can say is it sucks that you have to, but this is a great board with a lot of support and advice and you've come to the right place. Keep a copy of all your medical records and tests, jot down any questions you have for the doctor when you think of them or you might forget, ask your doctor for ativan or something else for anxiety if you need it, and just try to take this one day at a time. This is a marathon, not a sprint, so you have to prepare for it. Remember that there are no stupid or silly questions, so don't be afraid to ask anything or vent if you need to or share your good news, large or small, on here. No one will judge you and sometimes it's easier for someone who is going through it or has been through it to understand than it is for your spouse or friends. And sometimes your spouse, family, and friends might drive you bonkers even thought they are acting out of love and this board is a safe place to say the things you can't or wouldn't say to them. People mean well, but sometimes, they say and do insensitive things.

I'm glad you found us but I'm sorry you had the need to. :(

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

FutureLawyer05

Postby FutureLawyer05 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:13 am

Thank you so much for all of the advice and support! I am wishing the best for everyone and I am glad I found a wonderful support group, even in a sad situation. Trying to stay positive. Everyone is very uplifting here. Thank you all.

jens22
Facebook Username: jspirio

Postby jens22 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:33 pm

Hey Jersey Girl ...While I was almost 20 years older than you..our trips were similar. I was also diagnosed at Stage 3b and 5 years later here I am cancer free. I now live on Long Island and Had my Surgery Here. I went to MSK Sloane satelite for Chemo and the same chemo plan is used Everywhere. I had the 6 months of Folfox. Surgery before Hemi Coletomy and port first. You will get through this. Just make sure you have help with your 3 year old on chemo weeks. You need to focus on you and healing...We are here to help.
Colonoscopy 3/10 for ? hemmorrhoid.
Diag Colon Cancer 3 days later
Colon Ressection 3/30/10
Stage 3B 5/14 Nodes positive.
Power Port and 7 months of Chemo
Port removed 11/11
8 negative Cat Scans..... 10 years cancer free and Discharged from Sloane Kett!!
Diag age 47 , now 57 Mom of 3 boys.

FutureLawyer05

Postby FutureLawyer05 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:46 am

Thank you! Today is my port placement day. Pretty nervous about it. Will be starting my chemo in about 2 weeks. Pet scan came back, no cancer has spread, but it's still a highlighted area where the tumor was at, but the onc said it could also be inflamed since I recently had surgery. Still thankful for the news!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”