Withering away without help

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Maggie Nell

Re: Withering away without help

Postby Maggie Nell » Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:24 am

Vital signs in recognising Abnormal Illness Behaviour

1. Where illness is the subject of compensation or financial support, and

2. When a patient is complaining of symptoms which:
> are extravagant
> are unusual
> cannot be securely explained by the medical evidence
> are of unusual duration
> do not respond to, or are worsened by established treatments

Since well intentioned physical doctors are good at reinterpreting the world in terms of disease, the truth that
the patient’s symptoms and disability are psychologically based and are clearly explicable from life history rather than
disease, may be much more obvious to an intelligent lawyer or insurance assessor than to the treating doctor.

Illness is the common word used to describe the sensation of being unwell, whereas disease is a medical
term. Feeling ill may be due to many things besides disease. Illness describes how a patient feels. Disease
describes how a doctor thinks. The result is a clinical dialogue fraught with all the potential
misunderstanding of any exchange across two cultures. A patient may have a disease like an occult cancer
and not feel ill. On the other hand, he/she may for a variety of reasons, feel dreadful - and yet have no
actual disease.

Excerpt A Fine Line Between Illness and Disease, Dr Peter Stevenson FRACP MRCP Consultant Physician
http://www.mlcoa.com.au/on-balance/archive-2
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:33 am

We've been had
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
Feb - colon resection - 2/17 nodes positive
April - liver mets - Stage 4
3 months Folfox chemotherapy
August '10 liver resection and HAI pump
7 months chemo FUDR HAI and Folfiri systemic
NED since August 2010
Last treatment April 2011
HAI Pump removed Dec 2015

behconsult

Postby behconsult » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:03 pm

Dear "Withering away without help,"

Sorry you are having emotional upheaval as you tease this all out. Your thought patterns are rather catastrophic when in reality they shouldn't be. I encourage you to speak with your therapist or get a new one. A "counselor" frequently doesn't have the sophistication to address the presentation issues unless they are extremely well-seasoned.

Setting aside your cluster of medical issues, when it comes to the here and now present moment, your internal world creates your external world.Your head is filled with numerous stories about your future. I'm sure you have mentally already visualized your funeral, tombstone, and the like.

If you are still alive to read this. Most suffering in this world is self-induced/. And when there are legitimate sufferings, like colon cancer, it is not unusual that we ad to that suffering by our own mechanisms as well. Most people resist this truth as they are so identified with their thoughts. When in a psychological pain state, all they want is more suffering thoughts; I have experienced it, observed it others, and even read it on this board.

This suffering could be good for you. You may decide to choose different pathways, make different choices, become more proactive and the like until you find peace and recognize the patterns that mess you up as you do this flawed walk thing called life. May you resolve your health maladies and health questions with clear vision and no stories polluting your experience.
Stage 4 Age 56 BrafV660E 5/14
spot on perit/ Right side tumor
Resctn 6/9/2014
Folfox strt 7/2014. 6 of 12 tx
Chemo induced DM2
Pet 4 mets to lung (1 cm, 6 mm) Xeloda/Avastin 9/16 to present.
Cryo-ablation to four spots- Collapsed lung/chest tube 2x
Possible local recurrence in a spot or two on PET. Stable CT

Sams wife

Postby Sams wife » Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:28 pm

behconsult wrote:Dear "Withering away without help,"

Sorry you are having emotional upheaval as you tease this all out. Your thought patterns are rather catastrophic when in reality they shouldn't be. I encourage you to speak with your therapist or get a new one.

your internal world creates your external world.

This suffering could be good for you. You may decide to choose different pathways, make different choices, become more proactive and the like until you find peace and recognize the patterns that mess you up as you do this flawed walk thing called life.

May you resolve your health maladies and health questions with clear vision and no stories polluting your experience.

I'd just like to say thanks. I saved one of your posts & texted to a friend that has catastrophic or dramatic words. I had already told her to quit using them but I think you words got her. :D that was 6 months ago but I'm pretty sure it was yours that I sent her. She said thanks too.
Husband dx 1/13/15 St.2 CEA 7.1
Chemo/25rad 2/15 till 4/24/15
5FU/leucovorin
Surgery 6/8/2015 Stage IIa T3N0MX microscopic cancer left
Watching 4 lung spots
0/5 lymph nodes. Lap. APR
25% less 5FU/leucovorin 7/14/2015 x 26 CEA 3.4
25% more 5fu 9/2015
9/16/15 CEA 7.7
1/16/16 @ 9.2 during allergy?
3/16 New lung spot 4x4 mm
6/16 CEA 6.9 spot 5x5