Myriad my risk hereditary Cancer blood test

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Daisymae

Myriad my risk hereditary Cancer blood test

Postby Daisymae » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:43 pm

Just curious if anyone has done this test? I've had 2 doctors recommend it in last few months. It tests your risk for 8 primary cancers, one of which is colon. I did IHC testing at MSKCC and it was negative/normal so did nothing further. That was almost 4 years ago. Was considering calling them and asking for more info but just wondering if anyone has gone down this path. Thx!

ktwmn

Re: Myriad my risk hereditary Cancer blood test

Postby ktwmn » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:54 pm

I had the Myriad test done because my onc was concerned about Lynch Syndrome. The only sequence that came up was that I am a heterozygous carrier for a mutation called "ATM"" the principal cause of ataxia telangiectasia (A-T). Several studies have suggested that heterozygous carriers of ATM mutations are at increased risk of breast cancer and perhaps of other cancers (incl colorectal), but the precise risk is uncertain.

Incidentally my insurance (BCBS) did not cover this test even thought we tried to appeal the decision. However, the Myriad paperwork has a form that you sign which makes your only responsible for a portion of the cost (about $300-400 as I recall).
Dx 7/11, Stage IIIc CC
12 txs Folfox 8/2011-2/2012
MSS, KRAS-mut G12D
NED until 3/2015, mets to liver and peritoneum
April-December 2015: 15 txs folfiri+avastin
Liver mets resolved; pelvic met remains
January-May 2016: folfox+avastin; allergic rxn to oxi
June-August 2016: 5FU+avastin
October 2016: looking into immuno trial
January 2017: maintenance chemo xeloda + avastin

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”