new member... this is hard!

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
spinnz
Facebook Username: Diana Wiseley

new member... this is hard!

Postby spinnz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi, I was really glad to find this board and have found a great deal of helpful information. I filled out my signature to tell my story, but I don't think that I used all of the correct abbreviations. I started FOLFOX last month, but developed neutropenia and had to skip a session. I have recently had 3 shots of Neupogen and hope that my neutrophils are high enough to start back up next week. I will almost certainly need to use Neulasta after this treatment.

I wondered if anyone else on this board is their own caretaker? I am divorced and my only child, a 23 yo son can help me out about once a week, but other than that I am doing this alone. It is hard to hold my own hair back as I puke up the Zofran that I took too late for the nausea... How do you cope?

As a side note, I am a school teacher and returned to work last week. That went well... I am concerned about working with a pump...
Dx age 53 10/8/15
Lap/robotic converted to open sigmoid colectomy, partial small-bowel resection and right salpingo-oophorectomy 10-9-15
CRC stage 3b, T3N1aM0
Margins clear of malignancy
1/27 lymph nodes
Well differentiated
CAT / MRI's indicate NED
FOLFOX + Neulasta- 2 rounds 11/15
Xeloda, 1 week on 1 week off 1/16- 5/16
1/5/16 CEA 1.0, 5/16, 1.0
Factor 13-bleeding disorder
NEW DX
11/15/18 IDC

Lee

Re: new member... this is hard!

Postby Lee » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:35 pm

Hi and welcome. Sorry for the reason you are here.

Yes it is possible to be your own caregiver. Many people on this forum have gone down that path. It will probably get harder towards the end of your chemo treatments as chemo is accumulative. Be sure to keep your Dr aware of issues you are having. If friends and family offer to help, take them up on the offer. When not on chemo, get your errands and shopping list done. Make meals in advance and freeze. Make it easy when on chemo.

Some people worked while on chemo with out problems. Some people worked part time while on chemo. Everybody react differently, so only you will know how your body reacts to chemo.

Since you are a teacher, not sure what grade, let the kids know what is going on. I found with my kids (9 &11) during treatment that when I talked openly to others in there present, they felt I was not hiding info from them.

One thing I found useful during chemo, keeping food in my stomach kept nausea at bay. And junk food is better than nothing at all. Also several small meals through out the day vs 3 meals helped. I always hit Bugerking on the way to chemo and got an egg breakfast sandwich.

A day or two prior to chemo, I loaded up on water as would loose it during chemo. Don't get dehydrated as that can leas to other medical issues..

Good luck, and welcome.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

spinnz

Postby spinnz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:44 pm

I have spoken with my students about my diagnosis and treatment. One of the reasons that I did is because I make them wash their hands as soon as they enter the classroom. I let them know that the treatment that I am receiving makes me more susceptible to other illnesses.

I will try to reach out to others for help... It is just so hard! I have to keep working because I do not want to run out of sick time. I actually was hospitalized in Sept. and misdiagnosed, so I missed three weeks of work then. :x

Thanks so much for the encouragement... sometimes that is all that I need!
Dx age 53 10/8/15
Lap/robotic converted to open sigmoid colectomy, partial small-bowel resection and right salpingo-oophorectomy 10-9-15
CRC stage 3b, T3N1aM0
1/27 lymph nodes
Well differentiated
CAT / MRI's indicate NED
NEW DX
11/15/18 IDC

bitchslapped

Postby bitchslapped » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Welcome to Colon talk. Your signature looks fine, however you are in luck as we have a "sticky thread" for abbreviations & terminology here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5366

I hope Lee's suggestions help & there are so much more on here regarding nausea. Glad to see you using the "search tool" as that will be your best friend to finding information here.
I do feel for those cancer patients managing on their own, but there are so many on here doing just that. I'll just suggest a hair clip on chemo days & hope the nausea will be held @ bay for you.
Perhaps you can wear some type of jacket or sweater to work on chemo days that will somewhat conceal the pump for you if you feel you are shouting it to the world otherwise. They do make a bit of noise, but perhaps that will help muffle the low pumping sound as well.
I agree w/Lee that as an educator, the pump can be used to educate...not all kids are the same either in any given classroom setting. As far as coworkers, unfortunately a cancer dx is hard to keep a secret w/a pump.

Best Wishes
BS
DSS,35YO,unresect mCRC DX 7/'14,lvr,LN,peri,rib
FOLFOX+Avstn 4 Rnds d/c 10/'14
Stent 9/'14
FOLFIRI+Avstn 10/'14
Gone From My Sight 2/20/15
Me:garden variety polyps + precancerous polyp, diverticulitis
Carergver x2 DH,DM dbl occupancy,'03-'10
DH dx 47YO mCRC,'04-'07, lvr, billiary tree fried x HAI
DM dx CC 85YO,CC,CHF,stroke,dementia,aphasia

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:01 pm

Spinnz,
Yes it is difficult to reach out for help.
Perhaps you can be ready with a mental list of ways friends and your son can help when they ask or state that they wish to help.
Things like meals, yard work, the offer to run to the store when you run out of something, light housekeeping, etc.
Good luck.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

spinnz

Postby spinnz » Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:07 pm

A hair clip is such a simple solution! I really wasn't prepared for the nausea the first treatment. I only threw up once, but I threw up the Zofran. I plan on staying on it the whole course of treatment and for 3 days later.

I tend to drink lots of water daily, but the feeling of swallowing knives that I experience during and after treatment makes it more difficult. I am addicted to Smart Water; I drink at least a liter a day, but I'm searching for a warmer alternative.

This isn't at all fun... but I hope to be a better, stronger, more compassionate person because of the experience.

Thank you
Dx age 53 10/8/15
CRC stage 3b, T3N1aM0
1/27 lymph nodes
Well differentiated
CAT / MRI's indicate NED
NEW DX
11/15/18 IDC

Sams wife

Postby Sams wife » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:15 am

Maybe you need to keep the zolfran with you at work. My husbands only suppose to take It for 2 days after chemo but he has been getting sick at work. It's only been once every 2 weeks. It may be dehydration because every time it happens he need fluids about that time. But zolfran will melt if you stick it under your tongue. I think we will be keeping it with us from now on. And he has been taking it more this week (or 2) than usual. He just seems more nauseated & tired this go-round. Good luck.
Husband dx 1/13/15 St.2 CEA 7.1
Chemo/25rad 2/15 till 4/24/15
5FU/leucovorin
Surgery 6/8/2015 Stage IIa T3N0MX microscopic cancer left
Watching 4 lung spots
0/5 lymph nodes. Lap. APR
25% less 5FU/leucovorin 7/14/2015 x 26 CEA 3.4
25% more 5fu 9/2015
9/16/15 CEA 7.7
1/16/16 @ 9.2 during allergy?
3/16 New lung spot 4x4 mm
6/16 CEA 6.9 spot 5x5

megan120

Postby megan120 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:03 am

I also worked during chemo. I used a poppy pocket to wear my pump under my scrubs at work. I thought it looked and felt a little awkward, but none of my patients seemed to notice it, so maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought. I got it from one of my chemo nurses during my infusion, but they are also available online.

I was only sick during my first infusion. I took lots of zofran and phenergan, and made sure to keep something in my stomach all the time (I gained weight on chemo). I also asked for the ODT zofran instead of the pills, so nothing to vomit up.

I agree with Lee about talking to your students. My kids are young (3,5,8 now) and even my youngest seemed to understand that my chemo made me not feel good.

www.cleaningforareason.org provides monthly housekeeping to patients on chemo for free
36 year old mama to 3 (8,5,3)
Dx May 2014
Stage IV cc with met to cervix
2/134 pos LN
partial colectomy with temp ileostomy
folfox with avastin 6/14
Oct 14, hyst-mets to uterus, rt ovary implants
1/6/15 6 rounds of folfox
5/4/15 done with 28 tx chemo-rad
7/24/15 completion colectomy, NED!

radnyc

Postby radnyc » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:25 am

Hi, you'll find a lot of useful information from great humans on here. I'm single, and although my parents helped out when they could, I've dealt with my cancer journey mainly on my own. It was tough, but I preferred it that way, it made me stronger. I worked during my chemotherapy, only missing one day of work every two weeks. I would have gone nuts and broke if I had not worked. Two things that I recommend for dealing with the effects of chemo are: keep moving, walk, run if you can, exercise helped me a lot. For the nausea and overall shitty chemo hangover I did acupuncture twice a month and that helped a lot. Good luck with everything and feel free to PM IF you like.
Al
DX Jan 2010, at age 47
Feb - colon resection - 2/17 nodes positive
April - liver mets - Stage 4
3 months Folfox chemotherapy
August '10 liver resection and HAI pump
7 months chemo FUDR HAI and Folfiri systemic
NED since August 2010
Last treatment April 2011
HAI Pump removed Dec 2015

Val*pal
Facebook Username: Valerie Barkus Kantner

Postby Val*pal » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:38 am

Diana, I'm sorry that you have had to join CC, but you will get tons of support here.

My one suggestion is to reach out to your co-workers for help. Believe me, I know how hard it is to ask for help, but you may become overwhelmed at some point later in your treatment cycle. I assume you are sharing your medical condition with them. Perhaps you can begin mentioning to one or two people at a time that you are worried you may need additional help down the road. Most people, especially teachers, are more than willing to help if they know it is wanted and needed. By "help", I mean that if a couple of your co-workers are willing to call and check up on you after each treatment, it may help you feel more in control. Perhaps you will need something from the store that you forgot to get or a few servings of homemade soup to get you through the rough days.

I think that one of the reasons people are less inclined to help is if they feel uncertain if their offer will be accepted. It's you who must acknowledge that you need some TLC, and I bet you will find a gem or two to be there for you.

What you're going through is very difficult on so many levels, so don't feel like a wimp by asking for assistance.

Take care.
DH dx'ed May '11, age 62
Jul '11: resection Stage IV
10/11: 6 mo Folfox
8/12:thyr canc, surg/tx
2/13: peri mets
2/13: Firi/Avas
6/13: Ok
8/13: break
10/13: Lung, peri, mets
10/13: Firi/Erb
1/14: Erb Fail; spread
5/14: Tx stopped
6/20/14: At rest

spinnz

Postby spinnz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:06 pm

megan120 wrote:I also worked during chemo. I used a poppy pocket to wear my pump under my scrubs at work. I thought it looked and felt a little awkward, but none of my patients seemed to notice it, so maybe it wasn't as obvious as I thought. I got it from one of my chemo nurses during my infusion, but they are also available online.

I was only sick during my first infusion. I took lots of zofran and phenergan, and made sure to keep something in my stomach all the time (I gained weight on chemo). I also asked for the ODT zofran instead of the pills, so nothing to vomit up.

I agree with Lee about talking to your students. My kids are young (3,5,8 now) and even my youngest seemed to understand that my chemo made me not feel good.

http://www.cleaningforareason.org provides monthly housekeeping to patients on chemo for free

Thank you for the link to cleaning for a reason! I'm so behind in housecleaning! I have a small cross body purse that I put the pump in. I haven't worn it to work, but I used it the last time to go shopping, etc. It gets heavy, but less obvious than the fanny pack they gave me at the cancer center!

thank you!!!!
Dx age 53 10/8/15
CRC stage 3b, T3N1aM0
1/27 lymph nodes
Well differentiated
CAT / MRI's indicate NED
NEW DX
11/15/18 IDC

spinnz

Postby spinnz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:09 pm

radnyc wrote:Hi, you'll find a lot of useful information from great humans on here. I'm single, and although my parents helped out when they could, I've dealt with my cancer journey mainly on my own. It was tough, but I preferred it that way, it made me stronger. I worked during my chemotherapy, only missing one day of work every two weeks. I would have gone nuts and broke if I had not worked. Two things that I recommend for dealing with the effects of chemo are: keep moving, walk, run if you can, exercise helped me a lot. For the nausea and overall shitty chemo hangover I did acupuncture twice a month and that helped a lot. Good luck with everything and feel free to PM IF you like.
Al

I have to work and I have to walk. Seriously, I actually tell people that I am "walking off the crazy". The chemo hangover is ugly, I felt like I was detoxing for a couple of days.
Dx age 53 10/8/15
CRC stage 3b, T3N1aM0
1/27 lymph nodes
Well differentiated
CAT / MRI's indicate NED
NEW DX
11/15/18 IDC

spinnz

Postby spinnz » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:12 pm

Sams wife wrote:Maybe you need to keep the zolfran with you at work. My husbands only suppose to take It for 2 days after chemo but he has been getting sick at work. It's only been once every 2 weeks. It may be dehydration because every time it happens he need fluids about that time. But zolfran will melt if you stick it under your tongue. I think we will be keeping it with us from now on. And he has been taking it more this week (or 2) than usual. He just seems more nauseated & tired this go-round. Good luck.

I asked my onc. to give me more Zofran. She did and added Ativan as Compazine wasn't helpful in the least. I will take your advice and keep it with me at work. I also plan on just taking it on the day after they remove the pump. I have my fingers crossed.
Dx age 53 10/8/15
CRC stage 3b, T3N1aM0
1/27 lymph nodes
Well differentiated
CAT / MRI's indicate NED
NEW DX
11/15/18 IDC

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Spinnz,
Advice given to you has all been good, I will add that one thing I found to help me was taking a ginger caplet each day for three days prior to chemo infusion. Didn't work wonders, but definitely noticed an improvement.

Best to you.

Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12