Seeking Reversal Insights/Experiences.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
JDMNYC

Seeking Reversal Insights/Experiences.

Postby JDMNYC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi all -

Am scheduled for a reversal on 12/11 (after LAR and diverting ileostomy on 9/17 (got about 1" rectum remaining)). I'm trying to get some sense of just how good/bad I will be feeling for Christmas/New Years, both in terms of surgical/incision pain, and then (and probably more importantly) bowel function.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Holidays :D
- Dx Stage IIIc rectal cancer: January 2015 (CEA 20)
- Chemo (Folfox): January - April 2015
- Chemo-Radiation (Xeloda): May - June 2015
- Surgery (LAR/temporary ileostomy): September 2015; 4/20 lymph nodes – no adjuvant chemo
- Reversal: December 2015
- Stage IV: August 2016 - Lung Mets
- Chemo (Xeloda) Started October 2016.
- CEA down; lung mets shrinking.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

justin case

Re: Seeking Reversal Insights/Experiences.

Postby justin case » Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:14 pm

Please read reversal log, I moved it where it is easy to see.
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

sadysue

Postby sadysue » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:44 pm

No pain after my reversal. As far as bowel function, I stayed close to home...or at least close to a bathroom....for a while. Things were pretty unpredictable for me for a while. Good luck!
Rectal dx 4/2011 (Stage 3B - T3N1M0)
5FU/Rad - daily/6 wks ending 6/2011
Surgery 8/19/2011
Finished 8 rounds Folfox 2/2012
Ileo reverse and port out 3/2012
NED

JDMNYC

Postby JDMNYC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:57 pm

sadysue wrote:No pain after my reversal. As far as bowel function, I stayed close to home...or at least close to a bathroom....for a while. Things were pretty unpredictable for me for a while. Good luck!

Thanks! Good to know. Trying to decide whether I'll be in shape to have family (close family) around on Christmas Day (2 weeks exactly); I appreciate it.
- Surgery (LAR/temporary ileostomy): September 2015; 4/20 lymph nodes – no adjuvant chemo

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

JDMNYC

Postby JDMNYC » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:01 pm

justin case wrote:Please read reversal log, I moved it where it is easy to see.

Thanks Justin; some good information there.

O Stoma Mia

Ileostomy reversal and takedown information

Postby O Stoma Mia » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:20 am

You may want to have a look at some of the hospital leaflets on stoma reversal to see if there is anything additional there that would be of help to you:

Improving Bowel Function After Bowel Surgery
http://www.bladderbowel.gov.au/assets/doc/ImproveBowelAfterSurgery.html

Reversal of your ileostomy or colostomy
http://www.stmarksnhshospital.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Reversal-of-your-ileostomy-or-colostomy.pdf

Normal Bowel Function
http://www.stmarksnhshospital.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Normal-bowel-function.pdf

Sphincter Exercises for People with Bowel Control Problems
http://www.stmarksnhshospital.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Sphincter-exercises-for-bowel-control-problems.pdf

Regaining Bowel Control After Surgery
https://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/understanding-bowel-cancer/treatment/surgery/regaining-bowel-control-surgery/

Stoma Reversal
https://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/stoma-reversal

Returning Home After Surgery
https://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/product/returning-home-v6-0/

Diarrhea Bowel Management for Frequent Stools
https://www.mdanderson.org/patient-education/Bowel-Management/Diarrhea-Bowel-Management-for-Frequent-Stools_docx_pe.pdf

Diarrhea
https://www.mdanderson.org/patient-education/Bowel-Management/Diarrhea_docx_pe.pdf

Constipation
https://www.mdanderson.org/patient-education/Bowel-Management/Constipation_docx_pe.pdf

Fecal Incontinence
https://www.mdanderson.org/patient-education/Gastrointestinal/Fecal-Incontinence_docx_pe.pdf

Bowel Management Guide
https://www.mdanderson.org/patient-education/Bowel-Management/Bowel-Management-Guide_docx_pe.pdf

Constipation Control When Taking Pain Medicine
https://www.mdanderson.org/patient-education/Bowel-Management/Constipation-Control-When-Taking-Pain-Medicine_docx_pe.pdf

Also, you may want to have a look at some of the other reversal logs / diaries / mini-blogs that have been created here on Colon Club:

Takedown Countdown! - BrownBagger

Takedown Info - SurroundedByLove

Rectal-What's is "normal" like after my ostomy is reversed? - katykards1

Reversal Log: Experience,Problems, Q & A's - Badass

Reversal Thread: PROSPECT Trial - Basil
Last edited by O Stoma Mia on Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:22 am

It took me about six weeks to recover from my LAR. I was back to work after about three weeks, but wasn't really feeling good until about Week Six, when I climbed back on my bike and never looked back.

I got reversed at Week Ten. Just gauge your progress week-to-week. You'l have plenty of ups and downs day-by-day. But it's what you wind up with that counts.

Good luck!
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

JDMNYC

Re: Ileostomy reversal and takedown information

Postby JDMNYC » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:08 pm

O Stoma Mia wrote:You may want to have a look at some of the hospital leaflets on stoma reversal to see if there is anything additional there that would be of help to you:

Reversal of your Ileostomy or Colostomy

Regaining Bowel Control

Stoma Reversal

Returning Home After Surgery

Also, you may want to have a look at some of the other reversal logs / diaries / mini-blogs that have been created here on Colon Club:

Takedown Countdown! - BrownBagger

Takedown Info - SurroundedByLove

Rectal-What's is "normal" like after my ostomy is reversed? - katykards1

Reversal Log: Experience,Problems, Q & A's - Badass

Thanks Mia - these are great! I find information helps with the anxiety. Really appreciate it!

JDMNYC

Postby JDMNYC » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:09 pm

BrownBagger wrote:It took me about six weeks to recover from my LAR. I was back to work after about three weeks, but wasn't really feeling good until about Week Six, when I climbed back on my bike and never looked back.

I got reversed at Week Ten. Just gauge your progress week-to-week. You'l have plenty of ups and downs day-by-day. But it's what you wind up with that counts.

Good luck!

Thank you - sounds like I could do a close small family Christmas, and just be prepared to be absent as necessary :)

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:26 pm

Sleep and exercise are the two most important elements in making as quick and complete a recovery as you can. Don't be afraid to get enough sleep, and force yourself to get into a regular exercise routine, such as walking around the block, so that you can gauge your progress as you regain your strength. As for sleep, you just flat-out need as much as your body requires to recover. Don't try to fight or resist it--it's your friend.
Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

cathy123

Postby cathy123 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:49 pm

As far as surgery pain I was in pretty good shape 2 weeks out. I was (and still am )having frequency and control issues but I would have been fine with having close family at my house. Some days were much bette than others, and even on bad days things seem to come in clusters. Just make sure your guests understand the situation and hopefully are happy to help out. Also make sure you still rest and don't overdo it.
Cathy

Diagnosed 10/14 low rectal cancer age 43
Clinical T2NXMX
Radiation/xeloda 12/14-1/15
LAR with temp Ileo 3/15
pT2N0M0, lymphatic invasion 0/37 nodes
4 xelox, 1 xeloda only
Reversal 9/15
Mom to 9&11 year olds

VodKanockers

Postby VodKanockers » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:59 pm

I had my reversal on 11/19. My LAR was in early June and I completed my 8 rounds of FOLFOX in mid-October. So, about 5.5 months since I had my temp ileo and my system was rerouted.

Surgery – It’s way more minor than the LAR, my surgery was about 1.5 hours. After, I found the wound pain was pretty intense initially, but diminishes quickly. I stopped my pain meds after just a couple of days.

The worst part of my 5 day hospital stay (besides the horrible food) was the half-day just prior to my system restarting. A lot of cramping/bloating. I tried to walk quite a bit, which certainly helps. Walk as much as you can to help things go more smoothly. I probably could have gotten out a day earlier, but listened to the nurses and went the conservative route to make sure things were working well enough to leave.

At home – wound care is pretty easy, they’ll send you home with instructions on how to deal with it. My wound was left open which I think is pretty common (weird to see this 1” hole in your abdomen). Supposedly if it heals from the inside out you will get better results.

The hardest part of this whole process is the new bowel function. When a bm/clustering hits, it can range from no big deal to pretty miserable. Either way, the process for me generally lasts from 1 – 3 hours. Once this is done, then I get many hours of feeling relatively normal (as normal as you can feel after a LAR, chemo, radiation, etc). One of the things that makes this hard is that any amount of output, mucus or otherwise can send you running to the bathroom. The other thing is that my body will work very hard to try to move stuff, even when there’s not much there to expel. My surgeon suggested trying to hold it to help with the retraining of the bowel, but once the clustering starts it’s pretty hard to ignore the need to get to a bathroom stat.

I moved away pretty quickly from the low fiber / soft diet with my surgeon’s approval. I did this to help get more bulk forming. Other things that seem to help are to eat small portions and drink a lot of water, especially with meals. And continue to walk / exercise.

If I can determine timing of these episodes then I think it would be fairly manageable. Right now, I feel pretty tied to home, as I don’t want to be caught out when one of these episodes starts. If I can manipulate the timing through diet or other means, then I could get back pretty quickly to a normal routine. Right now I work from home to ensure I have immediate access to facilities if needed, which is a nice option if it is available to you. The other drag for me is that I’ve had a few of these episodes start right at bedtime as well. When that happens, it makes for very long nights.

This is a quick summary of some of my experience with the reversal, I’m sure there are others with similar and others with way different results. I wish you well with your procedure and a speedy recovery. I had only been home from the hospital for a day before Thanksgiving, and so wasn't sure I would feel up to to host any guests and ended up not having any other family over. I would think you have enough time between your procedure and Christmas / NYE to understand your response and think it's likely you would be feeling fine by then to have some time with family and friends.
47yr M DX Feb '15 Stage III RC T3N1M0
Mar/Apr '15 - 6 wks chemo/IMRT rad
June '15 - LAR w/ temp ileo 0/14 LN
Jul '15 - port installed
Jul/Oct '15 - 8 rnds FOLFOX
Nov '15 - ileo takedown
Dec '15 - port removed

Rob in PA

Postby Rob in PA » Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:36 pm

While you won't be fully recovered, I think having close friends/family over for Christmas and/or New Years would be good for you as long as you are not expected to play the part of entertainer/prep/cleanup role :shock: .

Good luck with your reversal. Don't expect a Christmas miracle...you will have some crappy (pun intended) days as you adjust, butt we (most of us) have all been in those shoes.

Best to you,
Rob
dx 11/07 crc IIIb @ 39
Xelox/Rad/ temp colostomy
LAR/J-pouch/ temp ileo
Folfox-8
Failed reversal
2/09 liver mets; liver resect/ileo reversal
Folfiri/Avastin - 12
2/11 5 lung mets
Folfiri/Avastin 2011
SBRT 3/12
Lung met 5/13/ said NO to more chemo
SBRT 8/13
2 lung mets 5/14, VATS 8/14, NED

Jachut
Facebook Username: hutchinson@aanet.com.au

Postby Jachut » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:52 am

This surgical pain I was over in about a week, but I wouldn't have gone far from the toilet for about six weeks. I could make it OK but I needed to know where it was!

JDMNYC

Postby JDMNYC » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:45 am

Thanks Rob -

I think we have tentatively decided to go that way, although I have reserved the right to change my mind :)

Surgery is scheduled for Friday, so keep your fingers crossed.

Best regards.

Jim

Rob in PA wrote:While you won't be fully recovered, I think having close friends/family over for Christmas and/or New Years would be good for you as long as you are not expected to play the part of entertainer/prep/cleanup role :shock: .

Good luck with your reversal. Don't expect a Christmas miracle...you will have some crappy (pun intended) days as you adjust, butt we (most of us) have all been in those shoes.

Best to you,
Rob

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”