Anesthesia and FOLFOX - interactions?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lisa90

Anesthesia and FOLFOX - interactions?

Postby Lisa90 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Hi guys.

Did any of you have any surgery that required general anesthesia while undergoing chemo?

I've had an almost 3 week break since my last round of FOLFOX because I had surgery on my leg on Saturday (trying to relieve some chronic pain I've had since my last surgery on the leg).

They were going to give me IV anesthesia but put me under initially with gas to be able to find a vein without hurting me. (They stuck me 2 more times while I was under apparently :lol: - chemo veins)

Anyway, when I woke up my tongue and inner cheek had some numb patches, which have come out like cold sores - plus I can smell the chemo on me again and taste it quite strongly despite the break. Seems like I only came off of the chemo yesterday in comparison!

Does anesthesia compound the effects of the chemo? Does anyone have any experience with this?
25y/o F
Symptom onset Aug '14
Colonoscopy done 1 Sep '15
Emergency colectomy done 2 Sep '15 due to obstructing tumor
DX CC stage IIIB - Sigmoid Colon (Adenocarcinoma)
FOLFOX started 13 Oct '15
Oxaliplatin dropped at treatment 9
Treatment completed 5 May '16
Li-Fraumeni syndrome confirmed

Previous history:
- Rhabdomyosarcoma ('92) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('01) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('12) Left leg (recurred '14)

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Re: Anesthesia and FOLFOX - interactions?

Postby dianetavegia » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:55 pm

I did. I was one month into chemo when my gallbladder almost burst and I had an emergency surgery. I had them call my oncologist to make sure that there would be no problem even tho the surgeon (the partner of the guy who did my colon surgery) assured me there wouldn't. I only put off 2 treatments so 2 weeks since I was to have chemo that morning.

The chemo smell got stronger after every treatment. Also, if you have your teeth worked on, they'll warn you that you need to be careful because you might bite your lip, etc. without knowing it. My youngest son tried talking after some dental work and chewed up his mouth and got huge canker sores (white centers) inside his mouth. Maybe you bit yourself and didn't realize it either while getting gas or during surgery.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Lisa90

Re: Anesthesia and FOLFOX - interactions?

Postby Lisa90 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:17 pm

dianetavegia wrote:The chemo smell got stronger after every treatment.

I remember this from my chemo I got for my Osteosarcoma in 2012. I just thought it was strange that since my chemo at the beginning of November, the smell had kind of faded until yesterday - it seems to be back with a vengeance! The only new thing was the op.

I suppose it's all just too many chemicals for my body to handle!

Thanks for the description of the bites - my mom also suggested that was what may have happened; I was just worried it was 5fu mouth sores :cry: So I guess one less thing to worry about.

Thanks
25y/o F
Symptom onset Aug '14
Colonoscopy done 1 Sep '15
Emergency colectomy done 2 Sep '15 due to obstructing tumor
DX CC stage IIIB - Sigmoid Colon (Adenocarcinoma)
FOLFOX started 13 Oct '15
Oxaliplatin dropped at treatment 9
Treatment completed 5 May '16
Li-Fraumeni syndrome confirmed

Previous history:
- Rhabdomyosarcoma ('92) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('01) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('12) Left leg (recurred '14)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”