From the Netherland; rectalcancer with lung mets

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Hanako

From the Netherland; rectalcancer with lung mets

Postby Hanako » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:24 pm

Dear all, my name is Hanako and I live in the Netherlands. I've joined the forum because I eonder how treatment is in other countries. I am 41 years old, two years ago I was diagnosed with stage 1 rectalcancer. After treatment of 25 radiation sessions and 5 weeks of chemo pills (xeloda) I had surgery with a stoma as end result. 85% of full recovery I was told. Only with in a half year the ct scan showed spots on my lungs. Within half a year I am now stage 4 with 19 lung mets spreaded in both my lungs. My only given option is chemo. Beacause I feel the chemo will do more harm I have not started chemotherapy. I still feel good and healthy, have no complaints at this moment. Who has the same diagnosis and what treatment are you given...regular or altrnative. Thank you for your time...
Kind regards, Hanako

orcasres

Re: From the Netherland; rectalcancer with lung mets

Postby orcasres » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:49 pm

As a stage II, I can't help you much with your questions, but someone will come along soon and join in. Welcome to the club that no one really wants to belong to. People here are very helpful and understanding. Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

plastikos

Postby plastikos » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Sorry to hear this Hanako. As a fellow stage IV I know it is not easy. Treating cancer is never easy. Chemo is not fun but it is the only evidence based treatment that we have for your condition as far as I know. The decision is entirely up to you but I would reconsider and undergo chemo. The drugs are better now so there is still a fighting chance. If there is a recognized major cancer center in your country I suggest you get an opinion there.
St. IV Colon CA @ 37, male, Kras wild, MSI-high (2014)
11/2014 Right Hemicolectomy + Liver Resection
12/2014 - 6/2015 FOLFOX + Cetuximab
10/2015 - Recurrence liver
Liver resection 10/2015
FOLFIRI 11/2015 - 5/2016
Recurrence liver, nodes 11/2016
Pembrolizumab started 12/2016 -> pseudoprogression(?) -> biliary obstruction -> biliary stenting
Chemo 4x: most mets inactive and smaller on PET-CT
March 2017 - Back on Pembrolizumab again
Sept 2017 - SIRT - > NED
2019 NED

mariane

Postby mariane » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:05 pm

I think giving up chemo is a mistake. It is your decision, very tough one. I survived FOLFIRINOX, now I am on FOLFOX and even having little ones at home I am surviving it relatively well. I try to live my life as good as I can and have as much time with my family as possible. Resigning from chemo may be a serious mistake. You can have a very good response to it and gain time until cure arrives. I think you should consult lung surgeon as well. There might be a surgical option for you. I would consult more than one surgeon and more than one oncologist.

Good Luck!
mom of now 14 years old twins, dx @ 40 in 6/2015 with upper rectal cancer, 10+ liver mets, CEA 140
chemo: 8/2015 - 10/2016 - 4xFOLFIRINOX, 2xFOLFOX, 8xFOLFIRI, 10x5FU, HAI pump -12xFUDR
4 surgeries, complete pathological response
CEA<2 since 10/2015
NED since May 2016

I praise God for every day with my family!

meatie

Postby meatie » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:49 pm

Hanako wrote:Dear all, my name is Hanako and I live in the Netherlands. I've joined the forum because I eonder how treatment is in other countries. I am 41 years old, two years ago I was diagnosed with stage 1 rectalcancer. After treatment of 25 radiation sessions and 5 weeks of chemo pills (xeloda) I had surgery with a stoma as end result. 85% of full recovery I was told. Only with in a half year the ct scan showed spots on my lungs. Within half a year I am now stage 4 with 19 lung mets spreaded in both my lungs. My only given option is chemo. Beacause I feel the chemo will do more harm I have not started chemotherapy. I still feel good and healthy, have no complaints at this moment. Who has the same diagnosis and what treatment are you given...regular or altrnative. Thank you for your time...
Kind regards, Hanako

You better start chemo as soon as possible. If you wait until the lung mets have grown so much that you feel something, it might be too late. Are you refusing chemo because the bad side effects from xeloda?
Mother DX @59 8/14
cln+lvr res 9/14, stage 4
FOLOX+Avs 12-rd 10/14 to 4/15
Reoccurrence, KRAS mutant 11/15
Folfiri 18-rds 11/15-8/16
FOLFIRI with Ramicirumab 28-rds 8/17-9/18
Regorafenib 10/18-10/19
Lonsurf 10/19 onward
Folfox rechallenge 05/20
Regonivo (Opdivo+Stivarga) 08/20
External Peace 09/12/2022

jhocno197

Postby jhocno197 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:23 am

Are your mets large enough for ablation?
DH - dx Dec 2014, stage IV with bladder & peritoneal involvement - non-resectable
Colostomy
FOLFOX failed
FOLFIRI failed
Tumor actually distending pelvic skin
Not a candidate for last-ditch pelvic exenteration
Stivarga finally begun 2/19/16
Tumor growing/fungating
Lonsurf started 11/18/16
Died 3/10/17

Willow.NZ

Postby Willow.NZ » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:45 am

Hi & welcome...As long as you feel fully informed & have spoken to the best oncologist & surgeons available, less chance of regrets later on. I hope you have good family and friends to support you with whatever you decide. Alternative therapies can sometimes aid feeling well, but like the others have said conventional treatment is the only chance of stabilising or curing, but this doesn't mean this is the path you have to take. Take care & I wish you peace in this time x
Dad diagnosed Sept 14 Stage IV. Age 57yrs. Transverse colon - spread to Retroperitoneal, Mesenteric & Supraclavicular lymph nodes. Folfiri commenced Sept 14.
April 15 - Bowel resection
August 15, stable scan
Feb 16 - No signs of cancer on scan...stop chemo & scan in 3 month
Scan April 16, Crazy growth to stomach, lymph nodes & multiple mets to liver. Commencing Folfox.
August: chemo not working. Stopped treatment.
September 3rd 2016 peacefully left this earth.

Annemiek

Postby Annemiek » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:03 am

Hoi,
Welcome to a fellow dutchie! So sorry to have to meet you here.. did you go for a second opinion in The Anthoni van Leeuwenhoek ? Where are you being treated at the moment? Although we are in a small country, there 's a big difference in oncologists, find ine that is willing to go all the way and is open to different opinions, you need to push for agressive treatment !!!!

I also would start chemo, to slow down the growth of the lungmets, maybe it's possible to laser them later..
I got very sick on xeloda, but 5FU went okay, ask for a portacath, I know they don't automatically advice them as they feel it is prone to infctionm but I had one installed and it is way better then having all the needles in your arms...

Good luck on your journey. Keep off dr google, but look around here on the colon club they are great!!

Annemiek

LeonW is a fellow stage 4 from the Netherlands and wrote some good comments on kanker.nl under darmkanker. He's also active here

43 yr mum of a girl aged 7
10/2014 coloncancer stage IIIc
11/2014 HIPEC, tumor removed + 12 positive out of 60 ln
hysterectomy, abdominal lining partly removed
Peridonitus, stoma fitted, 6 abcesses drained in abdomen
MSS, kras
3/2015 Folfox, someones playing kill Bill inside me
9/2015 finished 12 rounds,
First scan results: NED!!!!!!!!!
4/2016 ct scan: NED!!!
7/2016 ultrasound: NED
10/2016 cr scan: NED
5/2017 ultrasound: NED 2,5 yrs!
CEA 8/2017 1.8 stable.
CT scan 11/2017 NED! 3 yrs
CEA 1.9

Hanako

Postby Hanako » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:13 pm

Thank you all so much for replying! I do not want chemo because I don't feel it will make live better. I have a very good oncologist in Dordrecht. Before that I was treated at the Daniel den Hoed clinic in Rotterdam and I've been for a second opinion in the Anthony van Leeuwenhoek. So as far as the best information and best doctors in our country, I have visited them. The advice is chemo to prolong life, however they all say it will hopefully het me a year more than without treatment. A year ago I was given 6-9 months and Iam still here with no noticable health issues. I function like a healthy person and am Able to do all I want. I am so very afraid that chemo will change all this around. That I will get sick from the chemo and not be able to what Iam doing now. The doctors made it quit clear that i will not get better. Then why start chemo. The advice is 5fu with avastin through a portacath. The mets are to spread and to large in numbers to get surgery or radiation. Who has the same diagnosis and is undergoing chemo ...how is that working formyou? How do you feel? What is your prognosis? Thanks again... Hanako

Hanako

Postby Hanako » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:17 pm

orcasres wrote:As a stage II, I can't help you much with your questions, but someone will come along soon and join in. Welcome to the club that no one really wants to belong to. People here are very helpful and understanding. Lois

Thank you Lois!

stu

Postby stu » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:44 pm

Hi.
I do understand what you are saying, although chemo has allowed my mum to be here six years after a stage 4 diagnosis. What did come to mind was Dr Ladas in London . He trained under a German doctor and as far as I am aware are the only two doing laser surgery on the lung. You might want to investigate this just to see what you think.
My mum selects surgery where possible. I respect your decision and am glad your still in good health to enjoy life. A couple of people here have travelled to the uk and Germany so if your interested in reading further you can do a search here.
Kind regards
Stu
supporter to my mum who lives a great life despite a difficult diagnosis
stage4 2009 significant spread to liver
2010 colon /liver resection
chemo following recurrence
73% of liver removed
enjoying life treatment free
2016 lung resection
Oct 2017 nice clear scan . Two lung nodules disappeared
Oct 2018. Another clear scan .

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:24 pm

hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. I am also stage IV and have lung issues. I travelled to Germany to have surgery with Prof. Axel Rolle to have my lung mets resected. Please search my name on this board for posts about my experience. Although i have recurrence and am not in a great place right now, I do highly recommend the surgery for multiple lung mets as it gives you a chance at NED and potential cure if all can be resected with good margins.

cb <3
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

Lydia666

Postby Lydia666 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:50 pm

Hanako wrote:Thank you all so much for replying! I do not want chemo because I don't feel it will make live better. I have a very good oncologist in Dordrecht. Before that I was treated at the Daniel den Hoed clinic in Rotterdam and I've been for a second opinion in the Anthony van Leeuwenhoek. So as far as the best information and best doctors in our country, I have visited them. The advice is chemo to prolong life, however they all say it will hopefully het me a year more than without treatment. A year ago I was given 6-9 months and Iam still here with no noticable health issues. I function like a healthy person and am Able to do all I want. I am so very afraid that chemo will change all this around. That I will get sick from the chemo and not be able to what Iam doing now. The doctors made it quit clear that i will not get better. Then why start chemo. The advice is 5fu with avastin through a portacath. The mets are to spread and to large in numbers to get surgery or radiation. Who has the same diagnosis and is undergoing chemo ...how is that working formyou? How do you feel? What is your prognosis? Thanks again... Hanako

Hi Hanako,
I'm not sure I understand. How come you were given 9 months at a stage 1???
Like everyone said, i'd do the chemo. 5fu is basically xeloda which you already did. Not sure about avastin but people survive it and it helps. I understand you are scared, so am I. I had my surgery and now i have chemo waiting for me for several months and am really scared but don't see how i have a choice! All the best to you.
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

musicluvr

Postby musicluvr » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:30 pm

Same dx I got in July. Too many spots for RFA or surgery. Chemo with Erbitux, FOLFIRI was awful. Taking holiday from full treatment, only doing 5FU which is what Onc said should maintain now until next scan, hopefully mets will remain shrunken.
I have same decisions you have. Try to maintain quality of life while on active chemo is the hardest thing I have ever done.
Luckily I have a husband who supports whatever decisions I make, including this break. 5FU is awful, my fingers and toes have suffered tremendously. But fewer days feeling like crap is doable for now.
Anxious to follow your path. Feel free to ask me anything.
58 yo female
Dx CRC 2/17/14
perm colostomy 3/14
12 rounds 5FU
Small bowel obstruction 8/14
Multiple nodules both lungs 6/15
FOLFIRI + ERBITUX started 8/11/15
Irinotecan reduced 40% , October
12/15 NED, holiday next 2 treatments, then 5FU only
Mets are back 3/16
Erbitux + Irinotecan only; dropping 5FU
CT Scan 6/16 shows mets still there
5/17 been on Erbitux only
chemo break for 3 months
5 mets now on CT Scan. Back to Erbitux
1/18 lung Mets all increased slightly
Adding Irinotecan back

Ajane

Postby Ajane » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:09 pm

Hanako, If I were in your shoes, I would do chemo. Having said that, I respect your decision. We've all hard decisions we must make....some of us at stage 4, it'll likely eventually come down to quality versus quantity. I think we just want to make sure your decision is an accurately informed decision and that your Doctor's are providing you with every possible option.
No two cases are alike, but like you, I was initially a stage one rectal. As of this past May, I'm mCRC. I always thought with a pCR, I'd be at less risk for a recurrence, local or distant. But obviously I was wrong about that with it showing up in my lungs.
As you can see by my signature, I did have an interim, mostly carefree NED period of 17 months from excisional surgery to a solitary tumor recurrence. I know I was so very fortunate my CEA was a good indicator and it was solitary nodule. The route I chose was UL lobectomy (because the tumor was in a bad spot). I started with CapeOx+Avastin but after two rounds switched to Folfox+Avastin. Folfox was much easier than CapeOx as it didn't keep my gastrointestinal tract upset. I completed 8 rounds before HFS began becoming unbearably painful and neuropathy worsened. Fortunately my scan was clear, so I chose to begin maintenance. It is an extremely low 200mg dose of 5FU+Avastin. Maintenance is a piece of cake. Folfox...not so much, but doable with decreases in dosages after round 1 and 3. I did okay the summer of 2013 with the six weeks of Xeloda+radiation. But I've never had a regular chemo dose of 5FU alone, so I can't offer any input there.
I hope you find the answers you need so you can make an informed decision that will lead you to the best possible outcome. Jane
Last edited by Ajane on Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
7/13, T2, G3, Ultra-low. CEA 5.7 KRAS Wild, MSS
8-9/13 6 wks Xeloda/radiation
12/13 TEM pCR NED
5/15 CEA 4.6 PET 1.5 cm met, UL Lobectomy
6-10/15: Rounds 1-2 Xelox+Avastin; 3-8 Folfox+Avastin
10/15-4/16: 12 rounds Avastin
9/2016 CEA 4.2, 12 mm AP node
11/2016 CEA 4.3. PET/CT. 16mm AP nodal met removed
4 wks chemorad
2/2017 NED CEA 2.4
Carafate to tx esophageal ulcers caused by rad
Avastin maintenance postponed