Follow up colonoscopy so soon?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Lisa90

Follow up colonoscopy so soon?

Postby Lisa90 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:44 am

Hi guys,

I noticed upon a search that most of you have had a follow-up colonoscopy at 1 year after DX - I saw my surgeon today and he wants me to have a colonoscopy at 6 months after DX? Isn't this too soon?

I know this is probably erring on the side of caution given my long history with cancer (I may as well marry a tumor, I guess) but it's bugging me a little - mostly because I don't really want to do that prep all over again especially with the FOLFOX already interfering with my stomach. It'll still be in full swing :shock:

I know I pretty much have to do it and I don't plan on trying to skip it; but I just wanted to know if it's that unusual to do it so soon?

Also, is it really worse to do the prep and go through the after effects mid-chemo? :(

Sorry if this is a stupid question...
25y/o F
Symptom onset Aug '14
Colonoscopy done 1 Sep '15
Emergency colectomy done 2 Sep '15 due to obstructing tumor
DX CC stage IIIB - Sigmoid Colon (Adenocarcinoma)
FOLFOX started 13 Oct '15
Oxaliplatin dropped at treatment 9
Treatment completed 5 May '16
Li-Fraumeni syndrome confirmed

Previous history:
- Rhabdomyosarcoma ('92) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('01) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('12) Left leg (recurred '14)

exaussie

Re: Follow up colonoscopy so soon?

Postby exaussie » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:29 am

Sons Dr did colonoscopy at 3 months post diagnoses so it's not unheard of at 6 months. Prepopik was used for him as it didn't make him feel sick. I used that for my prep and it wasn't bad.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

betsydoglover
Facebook Username: Betsy Lindh Williams

Postby betsydoglover » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi -

Looking at your history, I'm wondering if your initial colonoscopy wasn't able to get all the way through past the tumor?? That was the case with my almost obstructing sigmoid tumor. My surgeon wanted another scope 3 months after surgery. I just couldn't deal and waited 5 months, but the reason was to take a look at the rest of the colon.

Take care,
Betsy
diag. Stage IV, 5/05, liver met
lap sigmoid colectomy, 6/05
6 cycles Xeloda/oxaliplatin/Avastin (NED after 2)
11/08 9x13mm right lower lobe lung nodule; removed via VATS 4/09
NED
6 cycles Xeloda + Avastin
Avastin only 10/09-5/11
Still NED 06/18

Lisa90

Postby Lisa90 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:50 pm

betsydoglover wrote:Hi -

Looking at your history, I'm wondering if your initial colonoscopy wasn't able to get all the way through past the tumor?? That was the case with my almost obstructing sigmoid tumor. My surgeon wanted another scope 3 months after surgery. I just couldn't deal and waited 5 months, but the reason was to take a look at the rest of the colon.

Take care,

Hi!

That was a problem with me too... One of the reasons they decided to operate so quickly! I didn't even think of that actually. It does make sense.

The surgeon did say he saw no indication of any other tumors in the colon, but better safe than sorry I suppose!

exaussie wrote:Sons Dr did colonoscopy at 3 months post diagnoses so it's not unheard of at 6 months. Prepopik was used for him as it didn't make him feel sick. I used that for my prep and it wasn't bad.

Thanks for the reply - I suppose it's also pretty much case by case. I will ask if I can try the Prepopik - thank you!
25y/o F
Symptom onset Aug '14
Colonoscopy done 1 Sep '15
Emergency colectomy done 2 Sep '15 due to obstructing tumor
DX CC stage IIIB - Sigmoid Colon (Adenocarcinoma)
FOLFOX started 13 Oct '15
Oxaliplatin dropped at treatment 9
Treatment completed 5 May '16
Li-Fraumeni syndrome confirmed

Previous history:
- Rhabdomyosarcoma ('92) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('01) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('12) Left leg (recurred '14)

Craig B
Facebook Username: Craig Brockman

Postby Craig B » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi Lisa,

It al depends on the dr, and of course your DX. I am headed in for my 6th scope tomorrow after being DX December 2010.

Last year when an abnormal polyp was discovered, my dr wanted to do a 6 month followup after it was discovered it was nothing. However, when the 6th month came up, he decided that I didn't need it since I had no difficulties. I'll add that I developed ulcerative colitis as a result of the resection, so I have additional aggravating circumstances, but thankfully under control.

As I type this I have started my prepopik - it is a God Send! Go to their website and get an additional $10 coupon. I used it last year, and it cleaned REAL GOOD!
DX 2a @ 46 12/27/10
T3N0M0 WD 0/17 LN
12/30/2010 Colon Resec
PwrPt 2/2011
3/28/2011 Started Folfox 5 BiW.
10/27/2011 Finish Chemo
11/10/2011 Scope CLEAN! 11/16/2011 CT/PET CLEAN NED!
11/13/2013 3 Yr Scope Ulcerative Colitis Discovered, inflammation NED
10/30/2014 Polyp Discover in UC area, at first thought to be Cancer, biopsy negative NED
11/04/2015 ??????

orcasres

Postby orcasres » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:19 pm

I was diagnosed on the basis of a CT scan and the tumor was so large that they skipped the scope and went straight to surgery since I was nearly blocked. So I got my first scope four months after my surgery and I was on FOLFOX. The prep was subpar (I had a hard time keeping the prep down) so the GI scheduled another scope six months later. It was clean so the next was in three years. It was clean so I am back to a five year schedule.

My husband has had UC since 1970 (no cancer) and he gets a scope every 2-3 years based on his symptoms.

Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”