Update on hubby's lung surgery

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ilivebyfaith

Update on hubby's lung surgery

Postby ilivebyfaith » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:37 am

My hubby opted to have a metastasectomy of his lung mets despite the fact that he had a new spread on his liver and retro peritoneal lymph nodes. He was originally scheduled for a bilateral surgery but the thoracic surgeon had to make a quick judgement call, and decided to clear the median area of his right lung first where he was able to remove 24 mets, and according to him, my hubby have 3 more on the upper portion of the right lung, and another 3 on the lower right lung. Plus a similar (estimate) number of mets in the left lung. According to him, my husband might want to have chemo first, then after which, he can come back to totally clear dh's lungs, in hopes that the size and number of mets will decrease due to chemo.

Right now, the tumor will be under genetic testing to determine which chemo would best benefit my dh. We've already gone thru folfox, folfoxiri, folfirinox, vectibix, erbitux and Avastin. I don't know what other options do we have (hopefully not stivarga).

We're also considering a clinical trial (immunotherapy), as we view this as one of the best option.

Right now my dh is resting in the hospital, oxygen removed, catither removed, pain reliever decreased, and tomorrow, his lung tubes will be removed as well.

Every now and then, I would always encounter in the forum that "cancer treatment is not a race..." I think I'm getting the meaning of it now. There's no short cut. Right now I am very grateful that the surgery was uneventful unlike the last surgery where my hubby was reopened due to internal bleeding.

Healing thoughts to you all!
Carer to DH 42, DX MCRC IV mets liver,lungs 9/9/14;Wild type, KRAS/NRAS nonmutant; Folfox 3x Folfox+Vectibix 3x CTscan, liver mets gone, colon tumor 12 to 15cm, lung mets inc (31-R, 19-L); Change: FOLFIRI + erbitux 6x, colon and liver clear, progress in lungs. Change: folfirinox + Avastin 12x, lung metastasectomy, molecular profiling, folfiri + erbitux, progression, will be switched to stivarga PRAISE GOD FOR HIS FAITHFULNESS!

Nik Colon

Re: Update on hubby's lung surgery

Postby Nik Colon » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:18 am

Glad he is doing good. Best wishes

Cb75

Postby Cb75 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:28 pm

It's wonderful that you found an aggressive surgeon. Where is your husband being treated? Please keep us posted on how things go. Folfiri worked really well for me.

Cb
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

Sophy

Postby Sophy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 5:04 am

Thanks for your update. It sounds like good news that your DH now has fewer tumours and a surgeon who hasn't ruled out future surgeries. Praying for a quick recovery from the surgery.

I don't have any information about suitable chemo, I have only had lung mets and am trying ADAPT, but I hope that you will get good advice about chemo options or immunotherapy trials.

Thinking of you
Sophy
dx T3N1M0 Feb 2011 when children age 11, 7 and 2
Xeloda/rad March 11, LAR June 11 temp ileo
Xelox 6 rounds, NED
Lung mets Oct 13
Laser surgery Germany Jan 14. 3 mets left lung.
Laser surgery UK Jun and Aug 14 one met each lung, NED
Aug 14 Started Xeloda and Celebrex (ADAPT)
June 20 CT shows nodule, bronchoscopy confirms is scar tissue, still NED
Dec 20 stopping Xeloda continue celebrex, cimetedine
Aug 21,March 23 scans show still NED
March 2023 CURED - discharged from Oncology, no more scans or follow up

ilivebyfaith

Postby ilivebyfaith » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:52 am

Hi everyone.

Sorry was out of the loop for awhile. Got busy because of familial and work stuff.

My husband got his results from his molecular profiling and it looks like it's folfiri plus vectibix or erbitux for my husband. His chemo will be on the 16th. He had his operation last October 30 and now we are both eager to have him back into his routine chemo as he is experiencing continuous cough with phlegm and he already lost some weight. How odd that we actually find comfort if his under chemo. His total chemo break after a year of chemo was around 3 months, 1.5 months before lung operation (metastasectomy) and 1.5 months after operation.

We are also doing an anti-TB vaccine, it's supposed to wake up T-cells in hopes that it will help activate natural defense to kill cancer cells. (This is our own experiment, surgeon gives the shots)

My regards to everyone and advance happy Christmas! Advance happy holidays!
Carer to DH 42, DX MCRC IV mets liver,lungs 9/9/14;Wild type, KRAS/NRAS nonmutant; Folfox 3x Folfox+Vectibix 3x CTscan, liver mets gone, colon tumor 12 to 15cm, lung mets inc (31-R, 19-L); Change: FOLFIRI + erbitux 6x, colon and liver clear, progress in lungs. Change: folfirinox + Avastin 12x, lung metastasectomy, molecular profiling, folfiri + erbitux, progression, will be switched to stivarga PRAISE GOD FOR HIS FAITHFULNESS!

musicluvr

Postby musicluvr » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:41 pm

Same reg as I am on currently. Get ready for Erbitux rash, and stomach cramping from Irinotecan (part of FOLFIRI). Feel free to ask me anything at all......
58 yo female
Dx CRC 2/17/14
perm colostomy 3/14
12 rounds 5FU
Small bowel obstruction 8/14
Multiple nodules both lungs 6/15
FOLFIRI + ERBITUX started 8/11/15
Irinotecan reduced 40% , October
12/15 NED, holiday next 2 treatments, then 5FU only
Mets are back 3/16
Erbitux + Irinotecan only; dropping 5FU
CT Scan 6/16 shows mets still there
5/17 been on Erbitux only
chemo break for 3 months
5 mets now on CT Scan. Back to Erbitux
1/18 lung Mets all increased slightly
Adding Irinotecan back

KElizabeth
Facebook Username: KElizabeth

Postby KElizabeth » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:21 pm

musicluvr wrote:Same reg as I am on currently. Get ready for Erbitux rash, and stomach cramping from Irinotecan (part of FOLFIRI). Feel free to ask me anything at all......

About that Irinotecan stomach cramping..
I suffered through this for several treatments, then one day the nurse tells me that she can give me more atropine if I start feeling flushed or my stomach starts cramping. I had no Idea that was what the atropine was for. Since then, I get one shot at the beginning of infusion and one shot halfway through, and have not had the insane cramping since.
I totally recommend asking for the atropine injections during infusion. It doesn't take care of late onset issues, but infusion day is much better now!
Hugs!
Female age 39- ,2 teens.
Colon Cancer - DX March 2013
Age 34 at DX - Stage III B
Resection surgery -May 2013
FOLFOX - June, 2013 to Sept, 2013
5FU plus leukavorin Sept, 2013 to Dec, 2013
METs liver and lungs discovered Sept, 2015
KRAS - MSS
FOLFIRI plus Avastin - Sept, 2015 - July 2017
Durvalumab and Cediranib Sept 2017 Dec 17
FOLFOX with desensitization protocol - current