Those with Liver Resection for Recurrence

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
James65

Those with Liver Resection for Recurrence

Postby James65 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:25 am

Hi All,
Been a while since my last post, but I do check in every so often. When I was first diagnosed in 2006 this message board became my lifeline and it's hard to imagine completely disconnecting from it.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with a recurrence to my liver after going about seven years with clean CTs and blood work. A resection was done by a Dr. Barth at Dartmouth Hitchcock in Hanover, NH, (Wonderful place and Dr. Barth is a rare find. Please seek him out if you are facing surgery). I go for follow ups every three months and today was a CEA check, which was fine.

I'm just wondering about others who've been through something similar and how you are fairing and what if any changes you've noticed in your life or outlook on the world since resection.

I wish everyone well and the hope that we can all find a way to be as free from fear as is possible.

James
Diagnosed with stage III rectal tumor (though probably late stage II) January 2006.
Chemo/Radiation
Full APR Surgery
Folfox Chemo
So far NED.
Oops. Liver tumor diagnosed 10/13 after elevated CEA. Liver resection for 5cm tumor 12/6/13. So far so good.
Oops again, one tumor in each lung diagnosed 8/8/16. One too small to deal with and the other resected in late September. Wait and watch for now.
Oops, another lung Met in upper left lobe on edge of previous resection scar 11/11/19.

plastikos

Re: Those with Liver Resection for Recurrence

Postby plastikos » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:51 am

7 years before a recurrence? That mustve been a shock I imagine. I have just had a resection for my first (hopefully last) recurrence. Although I already had liver mets when I was diagnosed last year. Cant really share how my life has changed since I just had the surgery but I think one of the changes I will make is adopting a more drastic lifestyle change compared to after my first surgery. For me that means no sugar, no processed meats, no red meat if possible, mainly a fish and vegetable diet, exercise and downscaling my private practice to relieve stress. It cant hurt. Desperate times call for desperate measures right?
St. IV Colon CA @ 37, male, Kras wild, MSI-high (2014)
11/2014 Right Hemicolectomy + Liver Resection
12/2014 - 6/2015 FOLFOX + Cetuximab
10/2015 - Recurrence liver
Liver resection 10/2015
FOLFIRI 11/2015 - 5/2016
Recurrence liver, nodes 11/2016
Pembrolizumab started 12/2016 -> pseudoprogression(?) -> biliary obstruction -> biliary stenting
Chemo 4x: most mets inactive and smaller on PET-CT
March 2017 - Back on Pembrolizumab again
Sept 2017 - SIRT - > NED
2019 NED

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:58 pm

Are they sure it was recurrence and not new primary?

Lee

Postby Lee » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:25 pm

My Onc told me on my last visit, generally a recurrence happens with in the first 5 yrs, RARELY, but sometimes 7 yrs out. Never after that.

I suspect your tumor was a sleeper for awhile and then woke up. I believe your chances of having it come back or pop up some place else is pretty rare.

Did you do any mop up chemo?

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

James65

Postby James65 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:39 am

Hi,
I did 18 weeks of folfox after the primary cancer surgery (chemo/rad, surgery, chemo) but didn't do any chemo after the surgery for the recurrence. The surgeon and medical oncologist ran my case past two separate tumor boards and both said studies show the beneficial effects of chemo in this situation don't outweigh the costs.

Are you doing chemo? You had METs to the liver with the primary, did they do a resection for those?

I also wonder how many resections a liver can go through.

Best,
James
Diagnosed with stage III rectal tumor (though probably late stage II) January 2006.
Chemo/Radiation
Full APR Surgery
Folfox Chemo
So far NED.
Oops. Liver tumor diagnosed 10/13 after elevated CEA. Liver resection for 5cm tumor 12/6/13. So far so good.
Oops again, one tumor in each lung diagnosed 8/8/16. One too small to deal with and the other resected in late September. Wait and watch for now.
Oops, another lung Met in upper left lobe on edge of previous resection scar 11/11/19.

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:21 pm

I did 8 cycles of Xelox the half year after colon resection. This made (the then un-resectable) liver mets shrink sufficiently for a successful attack in Oct 2012. No more chemo since but I was pathological clean when liver was resected (see sign. below). The onc-surgeon who lead my hemihepatectomy promised that it would take roughly a month for the liver to re-grow to its original volume (they had taken off 75%) and that this could --in principle-- be repeated indefinitely. We didn't discuss the 'in principle' further -- I think he meant that scar tissue etc. would come into play after a few? times.

Aside, once removed, don't count on it to come back in its original shape. Belly looks quite different now. :shock: :shock:

L
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:06 pm

ALL, studies have shown that instead of 5 years, 7 years is the more accurate cut off date for RECTAL cancer for common time for recurrence.

So, I had a recurrence to my liver at 3 years. I had the full open surgery with NO follow up chemo. I couldn't take the pain pills they gave me so suffered horribly for over a month. Couldn't bathe, comb my hair, put on makeup, you name it. Our daughter came and stayed here for 5 weeks, helping me with anything that called for me to lift my arms.

After she left and I was home alone 12 hours a day, I became a horrible hypochondriac. Health Anxiety they called it. Now the term being used is Chronic Disease Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

I went from Suzy Homemaker to 'if you trip over the dog hair, pick it up' and 'if you need to leave me a message, write it in the dust on the end tables' (not really but I could not care less about housework, hobbies, etc.)

I'm not the Pollyanna I was for 61 years.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

14 years since dx and 11 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”