2nd post on getting to know others

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Nik Colon

2nd post on getting to know others

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:20 pm

Not sure what to ask, so, tell us anything about yourself you would like to share.

The link below is to the 1st part
Ok, 1st post on getting to know others
Last edited by Nik Colon on Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nik Colon

Re: 2nd post on getting to know others

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:27 pm

A little about me. I am currently 40, married to a wonderful man "Jay" who is currently 39 (4 month 2 days younger than me). We have a beautiful 12 year old daughter "Elysium aka Lysi". And (again) my old handle "ritz75" was part of my last name and birth yr. My real first and middle name is Nicole Lynn, which is where I came up with my current handle....Nicole Lynn = Nik Colon. Also, I go by Nik or Nikki, usually never Nicole.

Joannerogers

Postby Joannerogers » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:23 pm

Nik,
I'm 53, married to a wonderful, playful best friend for 26 years. I have two grown children 25 and 24. I expecting my first grandchild in January . I found out about my cancer on May 20. It hit us pretty hard stage 4 , with 50% on my liver covered in tumors. I pray everyday for a cure and actually my sister was on a "Catholic pilgrimage " in Austria and she was at the church at Mariazella . There is a Marian Shrine there where people go for miracles. Father Jim did his sermon all about me there and now all 3 tumors in liver are dead! I do believe that was a combo of medicinal treatment and the special prayer from Father Jim!

Nik I think this is such a good idea. Sharing a little about ones self. Brings a personal element to all our posts.

Thank you for that!
53yo married 27 years, 2 children, 24 and 25
Diagnosed april 23,2015 rectosigmoid
Starting CEA 1845
Port placement and liver bx April 27
Folfox started april 29
Avastin added on May 6
Stage IV crc with mets to 50% of liver

10/13/15 dc'd transfusion #12...toxic
Pet/ct scan on 11/3/15
20% liver resected all margins clear 11/30/15
8/18/15 cea 21.
9/15/15 cea 13.9
10/13/15 cea 14.4
1/22/2016 cea 2.5
LAR 02/15/16 all clear

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Hi Nik,

I'm 37(turning 38 in December) and have been with my boyfriend since 2008, we live together. My name is Riann(pronounced same as Ryan). I have a 13 year old son who lives with his father in Delaware. I live in Atlantic Canada. I was diagnosed with colon cancer on October 28th, 2014. Stage 2a. I had my surgery November 20th, 2014 and had 16 cm of my colon removed. (half of my rectum and half of my sigmoid). I didn't have chemo. Thankfully my first post surgery colonoscopy was clear and my ct scans October 5th were clear as well. Currently NED! :) Still adjusting to my new digestive system. Some days are good and some days are bad. I am also dealing with other health issues which I am trying to get under control.
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Thank you both. It's nice getting to know people :)

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:18 pm

I love getting to know people too Nik! Love your posts! :D
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

sjring

Postby sjring » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:42 pm

Hi Nik,

I too think this series of threads is a wonderful idea.

My name is Steve, I am 50 and married to my wife Mary and we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary this past summer. We have two children. My son is 18 and a senior in high school and making final decisions on what colleges to apply to with thoughts of majoring in microbiology, physical biology or pre-med. My daughter is 14 and in Jr. High in 8th grade with interests in history, science, writing and is active in the girl scouts. My wife is a former elementary school teacher and now a full-time mother and caregiver. I am a CPA and have worked in for Contract Research Organizations for the past 15 years. For most of that time I was with a Late Stage CRO (Phases II-IV) where I started as a division controller and ended as VP of Finance for US Operations and currently with an Early Stage CRO (mostly Phase I) where I am Director of Financial Analysis (and very happy they allow me to work around my chemo schedule).

I was diagnosed just over 2 years ago at stage 4 with significant liver mets and a few mets elsewhere. Today there are no visible mets in my liver, and we are working at finding a chemo balance to keep the rest stable (it advances, I go back on Oxili, it shrinks I stick to Avastin and 5-FU).

I am active with FightCRC as an advocate, attended my first Call-on-Congress this year and enjoyed the experience tremendously and loosing forward to next year's event, which my daughter will attend as well. I'm also on the Board of the local Boys & Girls Club (I was their treasurer and webmaster until I was diagnosed).
50 YO Husband & father of 2 teenagers.
DX 9/9/13 Stage 4 cc (at age 48)
16 Rounds FOLFOX + Avastin (Oct-13 to May-14)
Maintenance chemo - Avastin & 5-FU infusions (Jun-14 to Jul-15)
Jul-15: Mets to lymph nodes, resuming FOLFOX
Sep-15: MRI showed stability, back to maintenance chemo.

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:59 pm

sjring wrote:Hi Nik,

I too think this series of threads is a wonderful idea.

My name is Steve, I am 50 and married to my wife Mary and we celebrated our 25th wedding anniversary this past summer. We have two children. My son is 18 and a senior in high school and making final decisions on what colleges to apply to with thoughts of majoring in microbiology, physical biology or pre-med. My daughter is 14 and in Jr. High in 8th grade with interests in history, science, writing and is active in the girl scouts. My wife is a former elementary school teacher and now a full-time mother and caregiver. I am a CPA and have worked in for Contract Research Organizations for the past 15 years. For most of that time I was with a Late Stage CRO (Phases II-IV) where I started as a division controller and ended as VP of Finance for US Operations and currently with an Early Stage CRO (mostly Phase I) where I am Director of Financial Analysis (and very happy they allow me to work around my chemo schedule).

I was diagnosed just over 2 years ago at stage 4 with significant liver mets and a few mets elsewhere. Today there are no visible mets in my liver, and we are working at finding a chemo balance to keep the rest stable (it advances, I go back on Oxili, it shrinks I stick to Avastin and 5-FU).

I am active with FightCRC as an advocate, attended my first Call-on-Congress this year and enjoyed the experience tremendously and loosing forward to next year's event, which my daughter will attend as well. I'm also on the Board of the local Boys & Girls Club (I was their treasurer and webmaster until I was diagnosed).

Thank you. Imo, this makes us REAL, not just a "handle" behind a computer! Also, imo, this is such a personal forum where we are all connected. I WANT to know people, not just their cancer. I truly hope others will add to this thread as it is so nice to hear about them as a person :)

Lisa90

Postby Lisa90 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:40 am

I'm Lisa :)

I'm 25 and I'm from South Africa. I'm about to start my Master's degree in Translation Studies - I am doing my research on how people process different kinds of subtitles. I really love languages, I speak English, Afrikaans, Japanese, some French, some German, and I can read Latin (It was one of my majors!). I want to start learning Mandarin Chinese next.

I still live with my folks, but next year, when my partner and I get back from an overseas trip we plan to move in together.

My previous cancers were all in my legs - I lost one to it, and the other has someone else's bone in it with lots of metal to keep it together :mrgreen: It's been a struggle for me to walk with a prosthesis but when I do wear it I feel positively bionic!
25y/o F
Symptom onset Aug '14
Colonoscopy done 1 Sep '15
Emergency colectomy done 2 Sep '15 due to obstructing tumor
DX CC stage IIIB - Sigmoid Colon (Adenocarcinoma)
FOLFOX started 13 Oct '15
Oxaliplatin dropped at treatment 9
Treatment completed 5 May '16
Li-Fraumeni syndrome confirmed

Previous history:
- Rhabdomyosarcoma ('92) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('01) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('12) Left leg (recurred '14)

PGLGreg

Postby PGLGreg » Fri Oct 30, 2015 1:08 am

My name is Greg. I'm 73, married since 1968, retired from teaching linguistics in 2010. I'm lucky to live in Hawaii, near the beach, on which I jog mornings, with wife and dog. I've been learning to play the flute for almost two years. I'm looking forward to getting one of the new UHD bluray players when they come out next year.
Greg
stage 2a rectal cancer 11/05 at age 63
LAR 12/05 with adjuvant radiation+5FU,leucovorin 1-2/06
NED for 12 years, cured

arizona mom

Postby arizona mom » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:45 am

This is fun!

I'm Lara. I'm 47 now. I married my high school sweetheart 27 years ago. We were the nerdy kids in high school. :D We have four kids (oldest 26, youngest 12), two boys and two girls in that order. They are all math geniuses. My oldest just got his doctorate in math and his first job is using high level math to literally prevent a robot apocalypse! My 18 year old daughter (senior in HS) just scored a perfect 800 on the SAT math level 2 subject test! She is doing college apps now. I'm hoping for MIT!

Up until this whole cancer ordeal, I was terrified of doctors and hospitals. I had all my kids natural, all underwater. I would rather deal with pain then have them stick a needle in me. I hated IVs. I kinda had to get over that in the last couple years. :shock:

My husband and I have a small home business related to electronics. I love that we are able to work at home together! It has also given us a lot of flexibility to deal with the cancer.

Even though I am now bald (this happen traumatically in the last week on folfiri) and I'm battling a re-occurrence of stage 4 cancer, I feel truly blessed with my life and my family.
47 yrs mom of 4
5-7-14 - dx stage IV-3 liver mets. CEA 76
5-20-14 Folfox w/Avastin
7-24-14 - Colon/liver resection and HAI implant at MSKCC
11-18-2014 - scan- NED!
12-19-14 finished 12 treatments of Folfox (dropped Oxali after 9)
2-19-15, 6-18-15 clean scans - NED
9-11-15 mets in ovaries - hysterectomy - CEA 1.0
Folfiri 10/15 to 3/16
3-24-16 CT scan NED
7-1-16 It's back. 1cm in lung and 3 peri mets. :(

exaussie

Postby exaussie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:52 pm

I was a caretaker, boy hard to say... I will be 50 very soon. Born in west australia, live in usa makes me a dual citizen.
Married at 17, yes 17. Still married to the same great guy
5 children, oldest is still at home and we are ok with that--working and going school, one daughter married 4 yrs, daughter 18 looking into culinary school, daughter 17 a junior looking into medical field. My son (26) survived 14 months of colon cancer hell, married his fiance and passed away 10 days later.
I have become a pain in the ass haha getting all my friends to get colonoscopies. Talking about symptoms to all, one of my son's friends had symptoms at 20 found out he has crohns after his colonoscopy.
DS 26 yrs old diagnosed 6/13 T3N2aM1b
Resection 6/13
6 rounds chemo folfax
12/13 Fissure
hernia surgery 12/13
5 months break
Maintenance chemo 3/14
Crazy growth. Liver failing. Folfox and vectibex 7-29-14
Chemo failure Hospice 8/26
Left us 8/28

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Thank you all for sharing. Again, I'm so sorry about your son exaussie, hugs

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:29 pm

Lisa90 wrote:I'm Lisa :)

I'm 25 and I'm from South Africa. I'm about to start my Master's degree in Translation Studies - I am doing my research on how people process different kinds of subtitles. I really love languages, I speak English, Afrikaans, Japanese, some French, some German, and I can read Latin (It was one of my majors!). I want to start learning Mandarin Chinese next.

I still live with my folks, but next year, when my partner and I get back from an overseas trip we plan to move in together.

My previous cancers were all in my legs - I lost one to it, and the other has someone else's bone in it with lots of metal to keep it together :mrgreen: It's been a struggle for me to walk with a prosthesis but when I do wear it I feel positively bionic!

Hi Lisa, I see you are fairly new here and I'm not sure if I have spoken to you prior so I wanted to say hello and thank you for sharing :)

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”