Crazy cancer anxiety vs. legitimate concerns -- how do you differentiate?

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lpas

Crazy cancer anxiety vs. legitimate concerns -- how do you differentiate?

Postby lpas » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:01 pm

So, I've been struggling a lot lately with health-related anxiety and I could use some advice from those who've been there/done that.

I had a CT scan 2 weeks ago, which was normal. My CEA (although not a great marker for me) is trending downward. I thought I was seeing blood in my urine, as I posted a few weeks ago, but the urologist never found more than a trace and it appears the pink color may have been related to one of the supplements I take. My cystoscopy was clear and they also did a urine test for cancer cells which was clean. I had a mole check on Friday and they removed a suspicious one--which could be melanoma--but it was small, and I can't imagine it would be causing me any other problems at this point.

With all that said, I can't seem to shake the feeling that something isn't right. My back has been bothering me a lot for about a month now. The pain comes and goes, sometimes in my lower back, sometimes between my shoulder blades, which is very odd. I don't think it's bone mets, but muscle strain doesn't make sense either. I'm also anemic, but not iron-deficient, and the problem seems to be getting worse. Haven't had much energy lately and my appetite is crappy, which I suppose could be the anemia. Overall, I think my oncologist thinks I'm nuts. Who knows, maybe he's right. I know I've pretty much lost faith in my body entirely. I used to see myself as a healthy person. Now I feel as though I'm falling apart at the seams. I have both a mammogram and my one-year colonoscopy set for next month and I'm to the point of almost expecting them to find something.

How are we supposed to get back to a place of trusting in our bodies again? Or is that even the right thing to do? Honestly I don't know what to think any more. Am I sick in the body or sick in the head? Can anyone else relate?
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

Nik Colon

Re: Crazy cancer anxiety vs. legitimate concerns -- how do you differentiate?

Postby Nik Colon » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:08 pm

I'm sure alot is anxiety from stress. You can also get pain from it, or just notice it more from worrying. If you are laying, sleeping more, that could also cause some back pain. Many things. It's very stressful and of course we worry. Best thing is to try not to, try to do something to take your mind off it. We can't change what will be. Much easier said, but do what you can to not think about it. Hugs and best wishes

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Yeah, you're just crazy! Ha ha. Man, take the good news and run with it.

ziggymonster

Postby ziggymonster » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:40 pm

I agree with Kenny...you have gotten great news......the anxiety over all this can cause most of the symptoms you are worrying about. I have many of those fears myself...but I've had reccurances in lungs and liver,
I find when I relax a bit much of my pain goes away.
DX advanced prostate cancer 2002
2014 still fighting mPca , failed surgery, radiation, hormone
DX Stage IIIa Rectal Cancer 12/12 1 of 12 nodes +
LAR permanent colostomy 1/13
Folfox 2/13 - 7/13 clear CT CEA 1.2
7/14 liver met chemo the resect in Oct
6/15 2 pos lung mets watching for now

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:55 pm

I have the same type of anxiety about my health. I was so worried my one year ct scan results and they were clear. I'm currently struggling with a severe sinus infection that is making my asthma worse. It's really hard for me not to think about my health. I started antibiotics Friday that have yet to help. I had many blood tests and did two 24 hour urine collections for my endocrinologist. She said it would take 4 to 6 weeks to get in to see her again. I'm just trying to deal with one thing at a time. Right now the sinus infection is most pressing. Just know that you're not alone in your feelings. I am here for you!*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

TracieLynn

Postby TracieLynn » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:01 pm

Ipas, I think we are the same person! Every time you post
It's the same thing I've been staying up at night worrying about! I feel betrayed by my body... I exercised 5 x a week... Ate right...no smoking no drinking! I had the tumor deposit like you and am high risk for reoccurrence. I still need to get to NED, have my reversal, and return to the "real" world. But I'm not sure I'll ever be the same... At this point I'd rather be overly cautious than ignore anything. Doctors miss stuff all the time and we have to look out for ourselves! Now, how to stay sane?? Hang in there! You are not alone!!
43 yr old Wife to DH Stage IIIB w/one Tumor Deposit
1/17 lymph nodes
Low RC Dx 2.26.15 CEA 19.5
Xeloda and Radiation 3.24-5.1
May 2015 break for recover CEA 5.5
LAR June 2015 w/temp ileostomy CEA 3.3
Xelox Aug 2015 and switch To Northwestern
09/2015 blackout, blood clot, seven stitches, on blood thinners
CT scheduled for 12/8/15
Feb 2016 Met to liver. CEA at 3.1
Liver resection @NW 3/23/16
VATS for Lung 5/6/16
More spots popping up lungs
Folfiri+Avastin Started Sept 2016-current (April 2017)

NZJay

Postby NZJay » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:12 pm

Yeah I can relate. You just have to remember your body and mind have been through a world of shit, and they bear the scars of every battle you've fought.

I've been in at least one form of constant pain ever since my first surgery; they shift and change and come and go. My doctors set a rule for me; three weeks of constant or increasing pain in one area would trigger further investigations. Anything else filed under "comes with the territory".

As for general anxiety I've found help in meditation, positive distraction, activities, etc. Note: I drink far too much.
11-13 Dx CC
SPS T4b(touched stomach organ),N1(3/23),M0(Stage 3B)
11-13: resect + partial gastrect
2-14: 1 Tx Cape + Oxy; renal failure, colitis
4-14: 7 Tx Capecitabine
1-15: clear CT
7-15: clear scope
1-16: clear CT
3-17: clear CT
10-17: clear scope (5 year gap now!)
CEA@dx: 8.4 / 6-15: 4.0 / 10-15: 4.2 / 2-16: 4.9 / 7-16: 4.9 / 11-16: 5.0 / 6-17: 4.5
NED since resection

midlifemom

Postby midlifemom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:52 pm

Lpas,
I can relate - you're not alone.
I went for a few sessions with a counselor to discuss anxiety.
It actually helped.
Have you tried any counseling?
Also, what about a massage - maybe that would ease your aches and anxiety.
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

Maggie Nell

Postby Maggie Nell » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Hello Ipas,

Elbowing the cancer elephant out of the way, you are using the language of being in a classic growth phase,
with re-defining your identity. You may get some clues from this website (no affiliations) on how to
come into a new relationship with your bodymind and reforging confidence in your own instincts.

https://mommymystic.wordpress.com/

Your naturopath may have some contacts.

From a Ph.D in psychosocial oncology.
http://www.simmsmanncenter.ucla.edu/ind ... itten-law/
Last edited by Maggie Nell on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DX April 2015, @ 54
35mm poorly diff. tumour, incidental finding following emergency R. hemicolectomy
for ileo-colic intussusception.
Lymph nodes: 0/22
T3 N0 MX
Stage II CRC, no adjuvant chemo required.

Lydia666

Postby Lydia666 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:40 pm

Very difficult not to worry even with all the good news. I understand, of course. I think we all do. I assume the worries come and go, so i hope they'll go away soon. Someone on here said, i'd rather be wrong than miserable, so bettter to think all will be well.
I don't know how to get rid of the anxiety. For me it comes and goes and thre is not much i can do. Positive news do help, which you have.
Oct 2012- thyroid cancer
June 19, 2015 Dx@39 yrs- CRC-T3N1M0
No vascular, no perineural invasion
Aug-Sept 2015- 28 rad/5FU
Oct 28, 2015- LAR- temp ileo, neg. nodes- 0/11
March 2016- 6 rounds Xeloda/positive CHEK2 mutation
August 2016- DCIS and decided post prophylactic double mastectomy
May 2018 - clean CT
Sept 2018-clean scope
Devastation, total shock- oct 2018, invasion of peri mets
Dec 20 - 2 round of folfox
Mom to 4 & 7 yrs kids - at least i brought them to this level of independence.

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:06 pm

The anxiety is understandable, young kids, a life threatening disease hopefully gone, some seriously toxic treatments with damage potential, and some real unknowns.

I would not dismiss the "not well" parts, nor despair either, there are a number of "benign disease" possibilities. This is the way chronically ill people often are, where common medical tests seem "ok" but they have pain and/or other seriously debilitating problems that go on (and on) until they are addressed, if ever. Conventional medicine is not good at surfacing many digestive issues, even the ones just sitting there in some 20 lb postgraduate GI textbook. Biologically oriented CAM practitioners (ND, MD, DO, DABCI, NP) may have a better batting average on some things, because they invested time and effort on a broader sweep.

I'll give one easy example. Celiac disease is a severe form of digestive disease, yet the average time to diagnosis is nine years, of the few percent that are ever diagnosed, from patients commonly dismissed as psychiatric cases. Many celiac patients have run through 1-2 dozen doctors without recognition. Other problems are emergent, like NAFLD. ... More recently, it has become appreciated that all the chemotherapy agents used in colorectal cancer appear capable of causing steatosis. (I am not saying you have this, but rather that post chemo problems have been underappreciated, inadequately discussed and analyzed)
Last edited by rp1954 on Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Lisa90

Postby Lisa90 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:25 pm

I've had cancer quite a few times. You really learn your body and what it's trying to tell you when you go through this a lot. I'm not trying to be a downer but if you feel like something is not right, push them to check it out.

I've learnt to give something 2 weeks. If it doesn't clear up in two weeks after I try something to treat it, I go to my doctor.

I had to relearn this the hard way after a year of complaining and being told I'm too young to have CRC and I must have IBS or some kind of psychosomatic thing and besides I just saw my onc x months ago blah blah blah...

That being said, you did get some good results. Take those and run if you're comfortable it will show anything you're feeling. Just bare in mind markers for bone cancer are different to the ones for crc and that's why nobody noticed in my follow ups.

Also bare in mind there is not really any known link between bone cancer and crc. So the chances are low it's bone mets.

I'd honestly suggest you see a chiropractor or at least try to manage your stress and anxiety, too though. Not trusting your body or feeling in control of it can make you feel pretty overwhelmed and I've found this has a significant impact on my pain levels.
25y/o F
Symptom onset Aug '14
Colonoscopy done 1 Sep '15
Emergency colectomy done 2 Sep '15 due to obstructing tumor
DX CC stage IIIB - Sigmoid Colon (Adenocarcinoma)
FOLFOX started 13 Oct '15
Oxaliplatin dropped at treatment 9
Treatment completed 5 May '16
Li-Fraumeni syndrome confirmed

Previous history:
- Rhabdomyosarcoma ('92) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('01) Right leg
- Osteosarcoma ('12) Left leg (recurred '14)

arizona mom

Postby arizona mom » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:08 pm

I like the "I'd rather be wrong than miserable" line.

The way I see it is that I am basically living scan to scan these days. I have twinges and aches and bumps that freak me out too, but I realize that if I can't let go of the fear for at least little while between scans, what kind of life am I going to be living? So I convince myself that I am doing everything I can to keep as close a eye on things as possible. I try to have faith that if something is going on, it is probably slow enough that waiting a month or two while I live a little between scans is not going to affect things that much. I have been told here that fighting cancer is a marathon and not a sprint. Slow down, relax, appreciate your good news and try to have as normal a life as possible...at least until your next scan.
47 yrs mom of 4
5-7-14 - dx stage IV-3 liver mets. CEA 76
5-20-14 Folfox w/Avastin
7-24-14 - Colon/liver resection and HAI implant at MSKCC
11-18-2014 - scan- NED!
12-19-14 finished 12 treatments of Folfox (dropped Oxali after 9)
2-19-15, 6-18-15 clean scans - NED
9-11-15 mets in ovaries - hysterectomy - CEA 1.0
Folfiri 10/15 to 3/16
3-24-16 CT scan NED
7-1-16 It's back. 1cm in lung and 3 peri mets. :(

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:34 pm

As someone who has had back problems for decades, I can offer that a lot of stress is felt in the back muscles. If you are worried, you may be tensing those muscles during the day without even realizing. That can cause soreness and pain.

I'm not saying that's what it is and I would get anything that worries you checked out. I'm just offering a possible solution to the back pain.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:01 pm

Yeah, a strange marathon it is.

First I absolutely panicked in the weeks following the bad news of Dx. The following full year, loaded with resections, chemo, scans, setbacks, blood work, etc, etc. was tough, but allowed hardly any time for anxiety. But when it all stopped and attention was reduced to only quarterly scans, I found it very hard adjusting. As if being alone in the fight again. Same when doc reduced surveillance to half-year checks, especially around the days of the scans that are skipped.

Not that I mind still being clean. I *do* count *all* my blessings.
But anxiety remains and surfaces at every change in schedule, at every incident.
I doubt if it will ever disappear . . .
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”