Inoperable Stage IVs

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
NIKMAKMOM

Re: Inoperable Stage IVs

Postby NIKMAKMOM » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:43 am

Hi All,
I'm an inoperable stage 4...I was diagnosed with colon cancer 10/14, which was surgically resected because I was completely blocked. It was a successful surgery and no colostomy. However, I have mets to my liver, lungs and mediastinal lymph nodes. The reason for being inoperable is because the medial stinal nodes are inaccessible with surgery. Since I have mets in my liver and lung, we thought maybe reducing tumor load, but surgical intervention can't get them all, so it would not be beneficial. I'm a chemo lifer..started with folfox which helped to reduce size of all my tumors, and I am now on maintenance chemo 5fu and Avastin every 2 weeks. Its been 1 year and 25 chemo sessions later, and so far l'm still stable.

I'm always reaching for the SilverLining and keeping positive really helps!
~Always Reaching for the SilverLining~ Elkie :D
Age 48 at Dx Wife/Mom to 2 Kids
Stage IV Colon T4a N2a M1b - Mets Liver, Lung, Mediastinum & Lymph Nodes
DX: 10/2014 - Colon Resection
TX: 11/2014 - Folfox/Avastin 7x (DC allergy tx #7)
Chemo 5FU/Avastin (38 rnds) 7/2016
3x Rads to lung met
Immunotx 6x Opdivo Failed CT 8/2016 Significant Progression
9/2016 Irinotecan+ Vectibix 8x Failed-Skin Issue Current: Ongoing Erbitux +Leucovorn/5FU push
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/mystagelvcoloncancer

erinelainerose

Postby erinelainerose » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:31 pm

hopkins54321 wrote:I was told "inoperable" due to location/size of my lesions. I'll be undergoing Y90 treatment on Thursday this week (day after tomorrow) for the right lobe. Left lobe to be treated in 4 weeks. Praying it will be effective as I'm almost down to my last two chemo options (Stivarga and Lonsurf). Pretty much decided I'm not going to use Stivarga, though.

I recently read information about MSI-high and MSS biomarkers (someone posted the link above to the Incurable Scientist's blog post about this). I'm waiting for my doctor's office to get me my report as to whether I was tested for this or not. I'm hoping I'm quite "unstable" :wink: as this could be a window of opportunity for a clinical trial.

If you don't mind my asking, what size are your tumors now? Anytime I mention anything other than the standard chemo, I get pushed back on - they act incredulous as if I am missing some huge piece of the puzzle. I do get what they (the oncs) are saying, but I want to try and think outside the box and not just slowly let the chemo whittle him away.

erinelainerose

Postby erinelainerose » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:34 pm

erinelainerose wrote:
hopkins54321 wrote:I was told "inoperable" due to location/size of my lesions. I'll be undergoing Y90 treatment on Thursday this week (day after tomorrow) for the right lobe. Left lobe to be treated in 4 weeks. Praying it will be effective as I'm almost down to my last two chemo options (Stivarga and Lonsurf). Pretty much decided I'm not going to use Stivarga, though.

I recently read information about MSI-high and MSS biomarkers (someone posted the link above to the Incurable Scientist's blog post about this). I'm waiting for my doctor's office to get me my report as to whether I was tested for this or not. I'm hoping I'm quite "unstable" :wink: as this could be a window of opportunity for a clinical trial.

If you don't mind my asking, what size are your tumors now? Anytime I mention anything other than the standard chemo, I get pushed back on - they act incredulous as if I am missing some huge piece of the puzzle. I do get what they (the oncs) are saying, but I want to try and think outside the box and not just slowly let the chemo whittle him away.

erinelainerose wrote:

This Thursday? Today? I hope all went well!!! Please let us know!

AngelaN
Facebook Username: angelamnicholas

Postby AngelaN » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:08 pm

Hi Just to clarify - my husband did not have a liver transplant. The surgeon is a transplant surgeon/oncologic surgeon who is not afraid to be aggressive with treatment for the right patient.
DH diagnosed with Stage 4 CRC Nov 2013
11 tx Folfox/Avastin; LAR/liver resection/introp RF of liver - May 2014
3 treatments FOLFIRI
Lung resection - Sept 2014
FOLFIRI + Avastin x 10 treatments
Avastin+5FU q3 weeks x 4
SBRT x 1 lung met
RFA for remaining 3 in Oct and Nov
SBRT for liver met Jan 16
lung mets growing
Enrolled in NIH TIL trial Oct 16
XRT for lung met 12/16
Cells didnt grow for TIL trial Feb 17
Waiting for NCT03085914 at Penn

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:42 pm

I just wanted to comment to anyone new here. Please feel free to start your own post so it does not get missed. On the main page, click where it says "New Topic"

j'swife

Postby j'swife » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:35 pm

My DH had inoperable liver mets "too many to count" several were over 7 mm.
We went to Dr K at MSK after learning about her use of the HAI pump and it took less than 6 months until his successful resection.
Hope you find your path to that place soon..all the best
DH 63 12/12 unresectable liver mets. 2/13 Ffx-Avstn fail. 4/13 HAI pump@MSK. 8/13 mets 50%;Resectn & LAR 10/13.NED! Folfiri & FUDR. reversal 4/14. 3 lvr spots 10/14. 5FU+FUDR. 5/15 resectn/IRE . 7/15 lung 'thingy' 9/15. FUDR, Xeloda. HFS. 2/16 RFA of lung met. FUDR/IRI. 4/16 2 lung 1pelv spots. XEL, stop FUDR. 6/16 RFA 2of 3 mets. XEL. D.10/3/2016 of infection post surgery to remove aortic clots (rare Budd-Chiari syndrome) in local hospital. HAI success! then blindsided...

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”