is it possible to remove primary tumor and leave the others

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ieowi

is it possible to remove primary tumor and leave the others

Postby ieowi » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:04 pm

How much risk involved in doing a surgery to remove only one tumor ? I have spoken with the onc. To discuss if possible to do remove at least the primary tumor and he said, they can't give chemo/ immune therapy drug after surgery as the patient need to recover first .

have any one done it before ? Is it really impossible ???
Father 58 yo , Colon cancer IV + 4 Lymph. 7/2015
K-ras Mutant,GNAS,FBXW7,PIK3CA, MSI-low
4 cycles irinotecan+FU5
developed abdominal met + lung met...Failed
4 cycle Oxaliplatin+folfox. peri met growing...Failed
unofficial trial !!!

Nik Colon

Re: is it possible to remove primary tumor and leave the others

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:07 am

From my knowledge, they have to wait like a month and a half roughly b4 starting chemo again. For me they did chemo b4, then surgery, then more chemo. But my surgery removed all visable cancer, so I'm not sure, only know that there is a wait after, so if they can't remove the others, that is probably why they would not want to.

LeonW

Postby LeonW » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:49 am

They did my primary surgery within a few weeks following Dx. Then 6 weeks recovery before starting chemo, followed by 2 months off before doing the concluding resection#2. No more treatments since.
One of the benefits of this sequence was that the chemo killed all liver mets, as confirmed by pathology results of resection#2. Very much possible that chemo killed any remnants from surgery#1 as well as other stray cell too.

I think only your doc/onc can tell the risks/benefits. In my case it seems to have been an absolute success.
Dec 2012 - CC 2 unresect liver mets, CEA 41.8 (MM 65yrs)
Jan 2013 - colectomy @ spleen 2/26 nodes IVa T3N1bM1a
Feb-Jul - 1x Xelox-7x Xelox/Avastin, shrinkage from #3
Aug - 2x PV embolization (both failed)
Sep 2013 - R liver resect, 25d hosp (liver failure/delirium, lung emboli, encephalopathy), no living cancer (pCR)
2014/15 - recovery, scopy: 2 polyps
2016 - new town/life
2018, scopy: 2 polyps
2018/20 low (1.0-1.4) CEAs/clean CTs: 4x2014, 6x2015-17, 3x2018-20
next June 2021!

JDinNC

Postby JDinNC » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:22 am

I had my primary removed in July 13
Lung met in Aug 13
Chemo in Sept 13

Basically waited 4 weeks between each treatment.
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a
7/15 surgery on arm
7/15 NED
4/16 recurrance
5/16 remove metastasis from back
5/16. Started immunotherapy
8/16 discontinue treatment
7/18...PET scan...NED

ieowi

Postby ieowi » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:40 am

My dad already have 3 plus mets, they told me it's not possible to do surgery but I just wanted to know if any one went through it, I don't mean the usual chemo surgery to remove one tumor than chemo, I meant who didn't have an operation due to cancer spread but did it anyway for any reason.
4 cycles irinotecan+FU5
unofficial trial !!!

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Thu Oct 15, 2015 8:48 am

Everyone's case is different. In my wife's case they got her in and removed her primary quite quickly because it was causing bleeding. She already had spread to her Liver and Spleen and at the time they thought her lungs. Started chemo as soon as they could after that. But her tumors were perhaps slower growing than your dads? Perhaps if his Mets were smaller they might have gone ahead and removed the primary. I think it has a lot to do with overall tumor burden.

Regards,

GrouseMan
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

ieowi

Postby ieowi » Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:13 pm

GrouseMan wrote:Everyone's case is different. In my wife's case they got her in and removed her primary quite quickly because it was causing bleeding. She already had spread to her Liver and Spleen and at the time they thought her lungs. Started chemo as soon as they could after that. But her tumors were perhaps slower growing than your dads? Perhaps if his Mets were smaller they might have gone ahead and removed the primary. I think it has a lot to do with overall tumor burden.

Regards,

GrouseMan

Thank you,I just wanted to know if it possible in the future, in dad case the abdominal wall met were the main reason, But it's good to know that it is possible in some cases
4 cycles irinotecan+FU5
unofficial trial !!!

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 5:54 pm

...I have spoken with the onc.
Each specialty has their own story, and individual surgeons may offer more than others. Often oncologists' "unresectable" patients do get resected. Patients do need to (re)search and advocate for themselves.

Sometimes multistage surgery or multimodal treatments are done in regional or national medical centers. Some first stage surgeries on mCRC may be done for medical necessity, like (impending) obstruction. Then some successful chemo with lack of spread might provide a springboard for a second surgery.

Simple 5FU based chemo has been done nearer and even through some surgeries, as described in a number of Japanese papers. Degree of surgical injury, wound healing, type of chemo and medical/legal environment influence the proximity between surgery and chemo. The Japanese were more advanced on simple oral chemo and immune treatments 20-30 years ago. Today, the closest US analogs might be xeloda instead of UFT; cimetidine, celecoxib, JHS Coriolus Super Strength for PSK, and perhaps other parts of the Life Extension list.

In the US there can be a lot of problems getting technically aggressive care beyond trials - drug availability for more antimetastatic oriented formulations, supernutrition in hospitals beyond "standard", medical conformity, economic risks with legal self interests.
Last edited by rp1954 on Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

ieowi

Postby ieowi » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:28 pm

rp1954 wrote:Sometimes multistage surgery or multimodal treatments are done in regional or national medical centers. Some first stage surgeries on mCRC may be done for medical necessity, like (impending) obstruction. Then some successful chemo with lack of spread might provide a springboard for a second surgery.

Simple 5FU based chemo has been done nearer and even through some surgeries, as described in a number of Japanese papers. Degree of surgical injury, wound healing, type of chemo and medical/legal environment influence the proximity between surgery and chemo.

In the US there can be a lot of problems getting technically aggressive care beyond trials - drug availability for more antimetastatic formulations, supernutrition in hospitals beyond "standard", medical conformity, economic risks with legal self interests.

Hmmm I got your point now ! thank you very much !
4 cycles irinotecan+FU5
unofficial trial !!!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”