UPDATED Need help

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Scaredoutofmind
Facebook Username: Ilene Mastrangelo

UPDATED Need help

Postby Scaredoutofmind » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:21 pm

DH is 42 and has stage iv cc. No mets on lungs or liver, but it's in his peri and on his appendix which was removed in March when he was found out. He has an ostomy which was retracted and after 10 rounds of chemo today he had surgery to fix his ostomy. We were also hoping for a possible debulking of the omentum and anything else.
DH is out of surgery and news is not what we wanted to hear. They found extensive disease in colon and around stomach. They gave him an illostomy instead of fixing current ostomy and did not remove anything. Said for quality of life he needs to go back on chemo

I'm waiting to see him and I'm devastated as I know he will be too. Any advice. We are at Penn in Philly.

They said the tumors were growing around colon and his ostomy that's why it became retracted. This could be the worse news. Any clinical trials?

He is fine and you would never know anything is wrong with him.
Last edited by Scaredoutofmind on Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midlifemom

Re: Need help

Postby midlifemom » Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:42 pm

So sorry to hear. Hugs.
Perhaps a second opinion could help? Memorial Sloan Kettering?
Stage 3 cc - dx Jan '14 age 53, cea 2.9
t2n2m0, KRAS mutant, MSS
Folfox Feb - Aug '14
Nov '14 cea 27.7 -2 liver masses
Dec '14 left lobectomy and HAI
Jan '15 FUDR and FOLFIRI
Aug '15 fudr done, liver clear, add avastin for lungs. Cea 4.3
Feb '16 CEA rising
May '16 2 wk break then drop Iri for 6 weeks.
Jul '16 cancer grew, constricted main bile duct. Stent inserted. On break till jaundice clears. CEA climbing. Doing reduced Folfox. Allergic to Oxali.
Sep'16 chemo failed. Trial or hospice?

JDinNC

Postby JDinNC » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:19 pm

I would go for a second opinion....Memorial Sloan-Kettering in NYC is the best. With you living in Philly..NYC would be so convenient for you. Give them a call...
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a
7/15 surgery on arm
7/15 NED
4/16 recurrance
5/16 remove metastasis from back
5/16. Started immunotherapy
8/16 discontinue treatment
7/18...PET scan...NED

Ceebo

Postby Ceebo » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:47 pm

I'm so sorry abiut the shocking news! We experienced a similar situation last September, 2014. My husband went into surgery for a liver resection but they were unable to do it after they found numerous tiny peritoneal mets on the colon and in the pelvis. They closed him up and said he needed to get back on systemic chemo. He's been on chemo ever since but had to stop it in July due to tumor progression in spite of the chemo. He's now in a clinical trial -TAS-102, but the drug was just recently FDA approved. We are very thankful that my DH still feels good and is very active. We are praying for some other options if this one doesn't stabilize tumor growth. I'm sure you are still numb with just getting the news. This forum offers a lot of knowledge and support. Keep us updated if you can.
DH 64 Stage 4 on 4/14 ; cecal tumor; 5+ nodes ; mets to liver; colon resection
5/14 FOLFOX
9/14 - Liver surgery aborted; peri mets
10/14 CT mult.1-2 mm lung mets; FOLFIRI & Avastin
1/15 CT -liver & lung mets shrinking
3/15 PET - ? New met. site colon; CEA rising
7/15 Chemo has failed; looking for clinical trial
9/29/15 started TAS-102 trial
KRAS mutant; MSS

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:22 pm

So sorry, yes, I would say second opinion. Best wishes

Scaredoutofmind
Facebook Username: Ilene Mastrangelo

UPDATED. Re: Need help

Postby Scaredoutofmind » Thu Oct 08, 2015 5:28 pm

It's been 24 hours since receiving the news regarding DH. After speaking further with surgeon today he explained how they basically found disease on/through the colon wall and along bowel. I asked why we can't just removed the colon and bowel, he said disease is extensive and it would not change much. Said chemo will eventually stop working and he will get sick. Said possibility of furture obstruction.

Of course completely devastated.

I asked his surgeons to limit information to him. I want to keep him in the best spirits to fight. I talked to his onoc today and he will put him back on 5fu, avastin, oxi and said he will be adding an additional drug too.

I want to get additional opinions as anything is possible and miracles do happen. Anyone else experience similar situation?

shade

Re: UPDATED Need help

Postby shade » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:10 pm

I am so sorry. I understand your desire to shield your husband from the full impact of his condition. This is difficult to do for very long but it might help him recover somewhat before coming to terms with the news. We all know the turmoil you are going through now. I hope your providers can help find a way forward.
Stage IV rectal
10/12 Cancerous polyp removed age 51
6/14 uLAR and resected liver met
12/14 finished FOLFOX / Avastin
1/15 ilio reversed = LARS!!!
1/20 onc said “cured!” - no further monitoring unnecessary
5/21 chest pain revealed new lung mets… radiation
10/21 maintenance avastin/xeloda
9/22 stivarga 2 weeks, d/c'd due to foot pain
10/22 vectabix + irinotecan

Nik Colon

Re: UPDATED Need help

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:30 pm

Just me, but I would want full explication as to where with pics, etc, and why removing won't help. I still say get a second opinion also.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”