Digestive Issues after Ostomy Reversal

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
RickMurtagh

Re: Digestive Issues after Ostomy Reversal

Postby RickMurtagh » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:13 am

It has been three months since my takedown. I battle diarrhea constantly, hence I am in Depends most of the time. I use the MD Anderson bowel management programs to manage things - they really help. I take either Lomotil or Immodium every three hours (alternating) and metamucil several times a day (4-6).

Everonce and a while I read about one of you being constipated and I am envious. I would give my left nut not to have to poo for a day. The only way I can manage that is if i do not eat for two days, then on the second day there is nothing in me to come out. Since I LOVE good food that has only happened once.

If you Google MD Anderson bowel management the results will include three documents I find useful. The first is what to expect after surgery, then there is loose stool management and lastly managing constipation, but tbh, I have never had to consult that last one. I am just glad they are out there.
Rick, 61
DX III two tumors Feb 09
Chemo/rad March 09
Ileo June 09
FOLFOX July 09
Takedown April 10
Mets to the sacrum and presacral area March 11 - NOT
Chronic infection of sacrum that looked like cancer (including a blockage)!
Permanent ileo April 11

CarolM

Postby CarolM » Thu May 02, 2013 5:49 pm

Anyone have major problems with eating red meat? I had my colostomy reversed on 4-4-2013 but didn't get any advice/ suggestions from anyone as far as what to start eating first or what to avoid. I ate red meat 3 times in 1st 2 weeks and had severe cramping for 3 days straight. I was given meds for the cramping and now have diarrhea constantly. Also, very afraid to eat anything for fear of the cramping/ nausea/ vomiting I had recently.

teachpdx

Postby teachpdx » Sat May 04, 2013 9:45 pm

You might want to check out the MD Anderson cancer center. They have good info on how to modify your diet after reversals.http://www.beatingbowelcancer.org/sites ... olV4.0.pdf This is one site and info I found helpful. Here's a link to the MD Anderson info. I found it very helpful. I don't follow it to a T but it's really good info: http://www2.mdanderson.org/app/pe/index ... c&docid=34

Good luck with thing. There is also a thread about people's experiences going through reversals further down in the forum
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

kerstin

Postby kerstin » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:06 am

I had my ileostomy reversed 6 weeks ago and because the resection was so low down and i only have 2cms of bowel left I was told i would most likely have loose motions, leakage and diarrhoea forever. I've had all these with no rest in between so have also been dealing with a sore bottom on top of everything else !! 3 days ago I decided to try a japanese diet ..ie fish with rice,sushi, miso soup with noodles and whatever else you want to throw in. I'm also eating banana's. At present I'm boiling all the veg - cabbage, leaks, pak choi and using the water in soups so i can get some of the nutrients from the veg. My bowel habits have returned to normal (the diarrhoea and leakage have stopped) which is giving me freedom again. Dairy is definately upsetting me as does caffeine, i'm now drinking de-caf green tea. I will slowly start to introduce veg and small portions of meat and eggs into the miso soups and see how that goes. Also thinking of giving soya milk a try too.

Crazyred
Facebook Username: cathleenwieder

Postby Crazyred » Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:55 am

I am brand new to this site and you are my “first” !
Thank you for this diet recommendation! I had my reversal last fri Feb 28th.Since my bowels woke up it has been
horrific. Averaging 17-19 trips to the bathroom a day ,
constant accidents with no warning and some just thinking it’s gas and then the flood gates open.The internal pain and pressure from my bottom has me sobbing in pain and the spasms
are out of control .I am not many days in but am already
Intentionally not eating out of fear!! I will give this a try and any recipes would be appreciated!! Thank you!

teachpdx

Postby teachpdx » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:32 pm

Not to be a Debbie Downer, butt I'm 7+ years out and I still get loose stools if I eat the wrong foods. I went from being a live to eat person to an eat to live person. Don't get me wrong I still love food, but there sre many triggers and sometimes it's just not worth i.

I avoid going to events where you eat before the event. Sometimes I just eat what I want but it can mean getting up 2-3 times in the middle of the night. I generally stick to what I know works and if I'm going to eat something that will be a trigger I try and have something in my stomach first - takes away a lot of fun of impulse eating. I still mourn my old (healthy) ways of eating.
4/24/12 RC T3N1M0 age 53
5/23-7/2 - 26 chemorad - Xeloda
7/16 Lynch- MSH2
8/28 LAR w/ temp ileo, CR, 0/11,M0, hysterectomy
10/13 6 cycles Xeloda - completed only 1 1/2 due to HFS
3/12/13 - reversal
8/13 NED
6/15 - HFS gone!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”