Cry Me a River

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:36 am

Excellent advice, Karen. Strangely, cancer doesn't have me depressed, but the loss of a loved one to AIDS several years ago did. I rememeber it well. And I remember beginning to feel better after counseling and medication. It can take a little time, but it DOES get better. And you're stronger than ever after you bounce back.

I have my moments with my Stage III cancer, but I haven't been the mess I was when I lost my friend. I don't know why this is different, but one factor is I have a better support system in place now than I did then. That's a big help. In any case, I'm glad I've been able to cope so far, and I hope CryBaby starts feeling better soon.

I loved my favorite book, "The Anatomy of Hope" by Jerome Groopman. I think we all should read it. Hope is the one thing that can get us through each day. It's powerful. It can heal.

Lee

Postby Lee » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:35 pm

I just read your post.

Guess I'm one of those opposite also. I find I can't cry. My husband says I should. I had someone tell me once the reason I won't cry is because my body is in a fighting mode. I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago with stage 3 rectal cancer.

I do have MAJOR MOOD moments. I can be very sad at times. After 2 yrs, I feel I'm still adjusting to this cancer diagnoses. Guess I don't like the roller coaster ride associated with cancer. One thing I found useful during treatment. I would spend one day every week or every other week and do something that made me feel good. Ususally that meant shopping with a friend. But always something that I could look forward to.

Something else I found useful, keep routines as much as possible. And most importantly keep a POSITIVE ATTITUDE!!!!

Don't give up the fight, you will get beyond this!!!
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”