Carafate vs. the ring of fire

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ALW

Carafate vs. the ring of fire

Postby ALW » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:36 am

I want to share my story in hopes that it might help others dealing with the same issue. By day 15 of chemoradiotherapy the ring of fire had me in unimaginable agony (well most of you can probably imagine, but I had no idea what I was in for at the time). I tried everything the doctors were willing to give me, with no luck. Proctofoam, lidocaine, Vicodin. Nothing helped, not even a little bit. I was desperate for relief and quite honestly, I didn't know how I was going to be able to get through the rest of treatment.

Then my surgeon came across a trial that had successfully used Carafate for proctitis. It's an oral drug that is used for stomach ulcers, but she told me to use it as an enema. It was a bit weird because it's hot pink and smells like bubblegum :mrgreen: however, within minutes the pain was cut in half and within an hour it was totally gone. A few hours later I had a BM, 100% pain free. For me, the bubblegum enema is giving me the ability to get to the end of radiation.

I really encourage others that are dealing with the ring of fire to talk to their doctors about Carafate!
Aug '15 Dx rectal cancer stage 2a @ 41 years old
Sept '15 Radiation & Xeloda
12/3/15 LAR with temp ileo - 0/20 nodes
1/5/16 reversal done early due to complications
2/16 Started 5 rounds Xeloda

CRguy

Re: Carafate vs. the ring of fire

Postby CRguy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:42 pm

THAT is great news !!!

sucralfate (Carafate) actually forms a kind of gel "bandage" over an open ulcerated patch of mucosa .. hence the seal and heal effect for upper GIT ulcers. The enema use is a fantastic variation which western medicine often neglects. In some integrative vet practices ("holistic") we have used herbal enemas to help detoxify liver disease patients who are unable to tolerate the meds orally.
For me, the bubblegum enema is giving me the ability to get to the end of radiation.

... NOW you have to work on not blowing those bubbles so much .... :oops: :oops: :oops: :mrgreen:

Best wishes
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
14 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

Sams wife

Postby Sams wife » Thu Oct 01, 2015 7:06 pm

Well. That IS great. I wish we would have heard of it 6 months ago. I sure would have asked about it! I may even go tell the radiation bldg about it.
Husband dx 1/13/15 St.2 CEA 7.1
Chemo/25rad 2/15 till 4/24/15
5FU/leucovorin
Surgery 6/8/2015 Stage IIa T3N0MX microscopic cancer left
Watching 4 lung spots
0/5 lymph nodes. Lap. APR
25% less 5FU/leucovorin 7/14/2015 x 26 CEA 3.4
25% more 5fu 9/2015
9/16/15 CEA 7.7
1/16/16 @ 9.2 during allergy?
3/16 New lung spot 4x4 mm
6/16 CEA 6.9 spot 5x5

SugarBubbie
Facebook Username: Rhonda Pinkston

Postby SugarBubbie » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:33 pm

wonder if I could use it for radiation proctitis? My doc at MD Anderson has said I'm NED for the anal cancer, but no help for the awful side effect of the radiation treatment. I know it saved my life, butt it sure is painful still. And that's been since 2008
DX Stage II anal cancer 2007 age 57
Radiation 6 weeks, Xeloda/oxilaplatin
DX Breast cancer Jun 2011 Stage3 one lymph nodes
Taxol 12 weeks FAC 4 tx, 31 radiations
5 year survivor certificate from MDA 2012 for anal cancer
DX triple neg bc oct 2015 4 rounds adriamyicyn, 20 radiations
"Positivity has no downside"

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”