Anyone have weight loss surgery after cancer??

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Dori W
Facebook Username: Dori Woodhouse

Re: Anyone have weight loss surgery after cancer??

Postby Dori W » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:07 pm

Good luck with the puppy, Dianne, and congratulations! I recommend working with a trainer early, as these dogs take some special handling (we have a BC mix that I love dearly, but he has his issues).

I had weight loss surgery almost five years after my cancer treatment. I have to say that, unfortunately, I am one of the minority of patients for whom the surgery was not very successful. I've been unable to reign in my eating adequately (so far) and I believe my surgeon may have been too conservative with the surgery, as I am able to eat much more that others I've talked to. Having said that, I don't think you should let that discourage you; as I said, I think I am among the minority.

Some things to consider:
How far out are you from your cancer diagnosis and what is your risk of recurrence? I would not consider the surgery if my risk was moderate or high.

How is your eating? I think I probably have an eating disorder and I should have recognized that in the process leading up to surgery. If you don't think you can successfully reign in your eating, then the surgery may not be successful for you.

I would research before considering gastric bypass specifically, as I read something that said it increases your risk for colon cancer--I don't know if that's really true, but I did read it so it is worth looking into.

I am seldom on here, so I may not see it if you pm me. Hmm. And I would leave my email, but I'm not sure that is allowed. I will try to check for pm's.

PS. Yeah, I lost 40 pounds during chemo (that I could easily afford to lose) and then I proceeded to gain 90 afterward. I have ideas about the cause, for example, I had both ovaries removed after treatment, but I don't really know for sure.

Oh, and I was on here as just "Dori" and not "Dori W", but I can't figure out how to log into my old account. Feel free to check out my profile. I am, to say the least, very fortunate to still be here.

Good luck to you.

Dori
Diagnosed stage 3C signet ring colon cancer in May, 2008
14 out of 18 positive lymph nodes
Final treatment in November, 2008
NED ever since
I used to have an account under "Dori," but I've lost access to it.
You can view my old posts here: search.php?author_id=1446&sr=posts

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”