Weird Cimeditine reference on Bones tv show

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
arizona mom

Weird Cimeditine reference on Bones tv show

Postby arizona mom » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:07 pm

I have been power watching Bones on Netflix and now HULU. On session 10, episode 1, last segment, the forensic experts recognize cimeditine in the victims remains. They determine that the cimeditine would have had a lethal reaction with the "vinca? alkaloids" in the chemo drugs the victim was on. The cimeditine actually was found to be the murder weapon! They said the cimeditine was part of an experimental formula that the FDA found to be dangerous. They went on to look for the killer at the chemical company that made the cimeditine compound.

Anyway, I thought it was very strange. I even went back and watched that segment again because I thought I might have been having a crazy nightmare, since I was half asleep last night when I first watched it.

I'm curious to see if anyone else saw this. I realize this is fiction, but I wonder if any of the cimeditine experts here have any comments about the reference.
47 yrs mom of 4
5-7-14 - dx stage IV-3 liver mets. CEA 76
5-20-14 Folfox w/Avastin
7-24-14 - Colon/liver resection and HAI implant at MSKCC
11-18-2014 - scan- NED!
12-19-14 finished 12 treatments of Folfox (dropped Oxali after 9)
2-19-15, 6-18-15 clean scans - NED
9-11-15 mets in ovaries - hysterectomy - CEA 1.0
Folfiri 10/15 to 3/16
3-24-16 CT scan NED
7-1-16 It's back. 1cm in lung and 3 peri mets. :(

Badass

Re: Weird Cimeditine reference on Bones tv show

Postby Badass » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:33 pm

What an amazing catch! How weird! I had no idea cimetidine was so famous!

Jane
R.C. 12/23/11 at age 52 T3N0M0
3/1/12 completed Xeloda and radiation
5/4/12 LAR & Ileostomy
6/7/12-10/4/12 6 rounds Xelox
11/27/12 Reversal
7/13/13 1 liver met
8/13 Met resection /hai pump
4/14 Chemo completed (Irinotecan/5fu/fudr in pump)

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:40 pm

,,, respectfully ..... !!!! ( not a huge fan of BONES )
... BUTT used to reguarly roast "HOUSE M.D." a few years ago ...
HOUSE was technically more accurate than many Doc shows BUTT still not 100 % because IMO he would have killed most of his patients before the first commercial break .. in the REAL world !!!!

cimetidine and vilca alkaloids .. ? seriously not likely a huge issue in the real world ..
MORE a potential consequence in the minds of fiction writers for the media ...... JMO ... don't shoot the messenger !!!!

Factually : cimetidine does have a range of major potential interactions, for a number of reasons
( waiting for GrouseMan and DK37 here )
BUTT in terms of the vilca alkaloids it is unlikely anyone here would have had them or seen this interaction IRL.... JMO

disclaimer: being a "grinch" here ... anytime you may think there could be an interaction, or hear of a possible interaction OR if you are not comfortable with the info you have from your own Docs ... check, Check and RECHECK until you are satisfied !

BUTT ... no disclaimer .....
YES arizona mom THAT is a huge catch on the media front ... KEEP on looking for those tidbits of good info...
JUST shows WE here @ CTalk are smarter than a whole load of media writers !!!

Harmony
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

DK37

Postby DK37 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:52 pm

I didn't look up the metabolism of vinca alkaloids papers but this does illustrate (either accurately or figuratively) something I always try to mention to people re: cimetidine.

I personally take it BUT I made sure my doctor knew about it and that it was in my medical record charts. This is because cimetidine can significantly impact the metabolism of some other drugs (called "drug-drug interactions") and since cancer patients take a lot of medications, this could in theory be dangerous - dependent on which other drugs you are taking. Which is why for safety, it needs to be in your chart for your MD and pharmacy to see...

Interesting find from the fiction world!

-DK
PS as CR Guy said, vinca alkaloids would not be used in the vast majority of CRC cases.
6/4/2012 Dx Stage 3C CRC @ 40 yo. MSS, KRAS-WT, BRAF-WT, p53-mut
7/12 FOLFOX/FOLFIRI
2/13 NED!
8/13 Enlarged lymphs - Stable
10/14 Stage IV. Lung & Lymph mets. 5-FU+bev
3/15 Cetuximab
11/15 FOLFIRI + bev
11/16 Signs of FOLFIRI resistance (Lymph mets)
1/17 Palliative radiation for resistant mets
2/17 FOLFIRI + bev + Maraviroc (off-label)
3/17 FOLFIRI + Erbitux + Maraviroc (off-label)
MSS-CRC Clinical Trial Finder: http://trialfinder.fightcrc.org/
2016 Colondar 2.0 Model
DK37 Science Posts List

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”