Mangosteen

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Magnolia

Mangosteen

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:11 pm

Anybody out there know anything about mangosteen? I've researched it some, but I haven't learned much from anyone who isn't SELLING the stuff. As near as I can tell, it's a very anti-oxidant rich fruit. There are a lot of claims that it does just about everyting from curing cancer to controlling asthma, but no human studies have been done. In vitro studies look interesting, but are inconclusive. One animal study shows some potential anti-inflamitory properties.

My feeling is that it's probably a good nutritional source of anti-oxidants. If it's more than that, no one has conclusively proved it, and should if they want to make those claims. I know high doses of anti-oxidants, and megavitamins are not good with chemo, but I doubt if a food source would be a problem. The recommended intake is three ounces of juice a day. I'm comfortable with that. My oncologist says it won't hurt. He doesn't think it will help either.

Anyone else using this stuff? Any good or bad experiences with it?

Bryan S

mangoteen

Postby Bryan S » Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:48 pm

Many natural products are sold through a loop hole in FDA regualtions. They are sold as a food supplement and do not have to have the testing to show they are safe and effective. Somtimes it seems that people want to make a fast buck off of people looking for a cure. This product probably won't hurt you and it may help IF you believe in it ( the placebo effect) Drug interactions are not going to be published in any reference
(I checked I am a pharmacist and colon cancer survivor) I could only find a few articles on Google and like you said most of them want to sell it to me so they are not objective reviews.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:36 pm

Thanks, Bryan. I saw a memo from ACS and one from Sloan Kettering stating there may be some basis for further research. I can say that I feel better when I'm taking the stuff than when I'm not. Placebo or not, it seems to do something. I'm not buying all the fantastic claims, though. All I see is better nutrition. A good vitamin source. If it's any more than that, no one has proved it. I am having a remarkably easy course of chemo. And I'm gaining weight. I've never heard of anyone gaining weight on chemo unless they're on sterioids. I feel quite well except for about three days every two weeks. I can't argue with that.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”