Private Testing/ Champions Oncology

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Cb75

Private Testing/ Champions Oncology

Postby Cb75 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:01 am

Hi,

I've had a recurrence in my ovaries. I'm scheduled for surgery next week. I'm looking into some testing of the sample to determine future options. I've come across a company called Champions Oncology. Here is the link https://championsoncology.com. Does anyone have any information on this? Or any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Carmen
39y female Stage IV
diagnosed April 2012
sigmoid resect May 2012
liver resect Aug 2012
Folfox Oct 2012
lungs Sep 2013
R and L laser lung resection Nov 2013/Feb 2014
FOLFIRI and Avastin Apr 2014 ongoing...

lpas

Re: Private Testing/ Champions Oncology

Postby lpas » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:44 am

Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear this. FWIW, JulieYW did a blog post about Champions Oncology a while back, but I'm not sure if she ever followed up with them. You can find it here:

https://julieyipwilliams.wordpress.com/2015/03/13/julie-fruit-flies-and-julie-mice/
11/14 Dx sigmoid CC @ 45yo
12/14 Colectomy + hysterectomy
Stage IIIB, T3N1bM0, 2/20 nodes, MSS, G2, KRAS(A146T), TP53, SMAD4, ERBB2, CEA 1.0
2/15-7/15 XELOX & celecoxib
2/19 clean scope
11/19 clean CT
Ongoing cimetidine & other targeted supplements
Mom to a 6 & 8yo

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:18 pm

Sending mega Harmony your way Carm !

Glad you are getting to surgery ASAP and getting samples for follow up.
BCCA has "improved" their damn website so all my POG testing references are broken ( will be chasing up current ones )
Ask your Oncs if any Centres there are part of this initiative ?? I thought PMH was on the list.
Could be another option to have reviewed as you move forward.

Best wishes for surgery ... heal gently and heal well
CRguy
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

JENNJ

Postby JENNJ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:35 pm

We did Champions testing- paid close to $20k and they found nothing to stop my Dads cancer- just ones that would slow it. Doesn't mean it wouldn't work for you- just a heads up.
They also cannot test any immunotherapy because the mice they breed are immune deficient.
Good luck
Katy

JDinNC

Postby JDinNC » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:44 pm

When I was diagnosed with Melanoma in June. My oncologist suggested I have genetic testing. I said no, because I knew the bill would be very expensive. He said that this company will bill my insurance and that I would not be responsible for any of it. They will except what my insurance paids and the rest would be a "wash". My insurance denied the bill, so I called the company and they verified that I was not responsible for the bill.

The company is CASTLE BIOSCIENCES , INC. out of Dallas, Texas.

I don't know if they do all types of cancers but you might want to give them a call.

1-800-336-7791

Jan
61 y/o female @ DX...........
T3N0M1
6/13 DX- stage 4
Sigmoid colon cancer.
One met to lung
7/13 colon resection
8/13 lung resection
7/17 four years....NED
8/18 five years....NED
MELANOMA
63 y/o @ DX
6/15 stage 2a
7/15 surgery on arm
7/15 NED
4/16 recurrance
5/16 remove metastasis from back
5/16. Started immunotherapy
8/16 discontinue treatment
7/18...PET scan...NED

rp1954

Postby rp1954 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:17 pm

As you don't know yet what is going on with that ovarian mass, assuming it is a CRC met or tumorous, here's our approach:

Sometime pre-surgery, is the time to get a full suite of blood markers run. Doctors that won't understand this are replaced as obsolete or defective. If medical serfdom or technology is a regional problem, we do it out of the region/country, as cheaply as possible.

Direct, functional testing on your live tumor cells is likely the quickest, surest way to find a functioning treatment combination. Xenografts and cultured cells will not be as representative as actual tumor cells. The primary reason I'd do xenograft or cultured cells, is if the viable sample(s) were too small (<1 gram) for direct testing. In any case, our best lab result seemed to agree well with the cumulative blood tests.

You were responsive to 5FU formulas. For things that sprouted up in too many places, daily, metronomic 5FU in multitarget combos work well for us. For quiescent circulating and adherent cell clusters, xeloda may not be the optimal oral maintenance drug, since it first needs to be metabolized by functioning tumor cells. I think the Japanese had better results with metronomic combos on circulating cells, first with an oral 5FU(!!) backbone and later, tegafur-uracil, a cheap oral 5FU based generic from Asia. UFT is the original brand name based on the original component abbreviations, FT and U.
watchful, active researcher and caregiver for stage IVb/c CC. surgeries 4/10 sigmoid etc & 5/11 para-aortic LN cluster; 8 yrs immuno-Chemo for mCRC; now no chemo
most of 2010 Life Extension recommendations and possibilities + more, some (much) higher, peaking ~2011-12, taper chemo to almost nothing mid 2018, IV C-->2021. Now supplements

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”