Ostomy nurse -- where to find/ how to get? Perm ileo surgery soon.

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
ugh

Ostomy nurse -- where to find/ how to get? Perm ileo surgery soon.

Postby ugh » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:40 am

My husband is scheduled for permament ileostomy surgery in a about week after suffering post-reversal for 2.5 years. His experience with his temp ileo was awful and I am very hopefully that this experience will be much better. From what I have read on the boards an ostomy nurse is key. How do we go about obtaining the services of an ostomy nurse? Any and all perm ileo advise is greatly appreciated!

Spouse to DH
Rectal cancer 3b
NED

texazgal

Re: Ostomy nurse -- where to find/ how to get? Perm ileo surgery soon.

Postby texazgal » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:08 pm

When I was given the colostomy, I was dumber than dumb about the whole thing. Some days after surgery, while still in hospital, an ostomy nurse showed up in my room with supplies, a catalogue and she showed me how to change out the system that had been applied while I was still "out". The hospital had called her in. I didn't see her prior to be marked for placement; luckily, that turned out ok. My little community hospital that did the surgery is a member of a large group of hospitals and she was out of one of the larger hospitals. You can ask your surgeon or the administration for the name and number of a nurse or one might just show up as happened with me.
DX rectal cancer Aug 04
Surgery Sept 04, perm ostomy, "BarbieButt" Sept 23, 04.
June 2019 stage 3 esophageal cancer
Aug. 2019 28 radiations, 5 chemo
Nov. PET shows original tumor and mets resolved, 2 new mets in liver and bone.
May 2020 port installed, started Folfox hope to do 12 rounds, cure not expected
Keytruda April 2021 8 rounds
scan showed small growth in tumors
Paclitaxol started summer 2021.
Scan July 30, 2021 showed small decrease in size of tumors in liver and bone

PainInTheAss

Postby PainInTheAss » Thu Sep 17, 2015 3:18 pm

I also had a nurse assigned at the hospital originally. But later, when I wanted to look into irrigating, I asked my surgeon about it and he referred me to an Ostomy clinic at a hospital. They were super helpful and I'm guessing the same nurses who help new Ostomates after surgery. Ask your surgeon for a referral to an Ostomy clinic. They usually give you a card so you can just talk to the same nurse each time or see different nurses. I had numerous wound care nurses visit me and some great ostomy advice from some that I didn't get from others, so I suggest you see different ones if you are having problems.
47yo single mom of 4 (24, 21, 18, 16) at Dx
6/13 - RC T4b IIIc 5LNs on PET CEA 5.4
8/13 - Finish chemorad
10/13 - APR/hyst+ovaries/perm colostomy 2/12 nodes+
6/14 - Finish Xelox 6 rds
1/15 - CT clear CEA 0.2
10/15 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.7
4/16 - CT clear
10/16 - CT/MRI clear CEA 0.6
5/17 - PET clear? Follow up MRI to verify inflammation

ugh

Postby ugh » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:40 am

Thanks all - I will definitely get in touch with the surgeons office to discuss. He too had what I beleive was an ostomy nurse while in the hospital after his LAR and temp ileo but he was so sick during any dealings with the nurse and there was no after care other than a home health aide. Any advice for placement? I remember someone coming in prior to surgery to mark my husband for his temp, but again we were so in the throngs of dealing with *cancer*, we did not research /ask enough questions IMO. We were just plain naive and I am hoping to be more prepared this time. At the moment his stomach is extremely distended from severe constipation and dialated colon so I think it may be a bit of a guessing game for optimal placement.

megan120

Postby megan120 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:21 pm

I would call the hospital where he is having surgery and see if there is an ostomy nurse he can meet with before surgery. They can mark a good spot for the stoma that will work best for bag placement. I have seen some horrendous stomas that were a huge challenge to prevent leaks that may have been better if an ostomy nurse had marked them before surgery. It would also be nice to know the person who is going to be helping him after surgery before going in.
36 year old mama to 3 (8,5,3)
Dx May 2014
Stage IV cc with met to cervix
2/134 pos LN
partial colectomy with temp ileostomy
folfox with avastin 6/14
Oct 14, hyst-mets to uterus, rt ovary implants
1/6/15 6 rounds of folfox
5/4/15 done with 28 tx chemo-rad
7/24/15 completion colectomy, NED!

Nik Colon

Postby Nik Colon » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:12 am

I was set up with an apt b4 my surgery automatically by my surgeon I believe. I would think they would set it up for you, but idk. Just my experience, but I ended up not needing one, but was marked for either ileostomy or colostomy prior jic.also was sent home with samples and such.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”