Spent the night in the hospital

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
lhawk0730

Re: Spent the night in the hospital

Postby lhawk0730 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 4:59 pm

Hi Judy, mom responded really well to the reversal. She has days where she spends quite a lot of time in the restroom. And she has days where goes hours and hours between needing one. But she prefers that to the bag (which she hated). I dont have all her exact restroom details, as she has rightfully taken back her dignity in having some privacy again! Psychologically, she is handling everything better since reversal. Physically, its like night and day. She drinks half the fluids as before. Her blood work has been great. She will started her 3rd round of Xeloda today. She has good days now where she gets out. She didn't have good enough days to go out for pleasure before. I hope her experience helps you.
Daughter to Mom, age 71
Dx 10/14 RC - T3bN1bM0
Chemoradiation til 1/15
Surgery 2/15
Temp ileostomy
Failed Xelox round 4/15
1 round straight Xeloda 5/15 - discontinued
Ileo reversal 5/15
8/15 more Xeloda

Lee

Postby Lee » Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:04 pm

Hi Judy

OMG, you poor thing. You have been through so much. I hope (and pray) you are finally on the mend. Thank goodness your Dr had the forsight to request the blood work. I hate to think where you will be without that.

Please take care of yourself. I'm thinking of you,

((((GENTLE HUG)))) to you,

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:14 pm

Thanks for the info, Ihawk!

Lee, you are such a sweetheart. :D I feel like I've been through nothing compared to so many on the board and I hesitate to complain about my little aches and pains. But then I think that I can either suffer in silence or come on here and get great advice from people with experience so here I am, posting again. :)

Miss Molly, my friend, are you still out there? I have a question for you. I showered and changed my bag today. The ones from CyMed haven't arrived yet and I didn't sleep well last night because the whole bag area was so sore. So I took a piece of the Tegraderm and cut a hole the size of my stoma and put it over the whole area, then put my bag on top of it. OMG what a difference! It feels so much better already and there isn't that constant pull on my skin. Of course it's still sore since it has a lot of healing to do, but the difference already is amazing. My question for you is--You said the Tegraderm had to be changed every 24 hours, but my box says you can leave it on up to 7 days. Is it because it's under the wafer that it has to be changed every day or are there different types of Tegraderm and some can stay on longer?

I said earlier in the thread that I didn't think I would know if I had diarrhea because of the bag, but ever since I left the hospital, my bag has filled much quicker, has been 95% liquid, and yellowish even though I'm eating regularly. Should I take liquid Imodium or try to eat rice, bananas, and other foods that are more binding or should I call the doctor?? Someone in another thread said they always have a couple days of mostly liquid when they first come out after a visit to da big house. Is that true? I'm mostly worried because I don't want to get dehydrated again.

Thanks in advance for any insight you can give me. You've all been such a big help already.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

JudeD59

Postby JudeD59 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:40 pm

Forgot to mention that I plan on changing the whole setup tomorrow anyway because I want to make sure there aren't any leaks and the tegraderm isn't making things worse. I was just curious about the 24 hr. versus 7 day thing.

Judy
56 yrs old, wife, mother to 4 daughters
RC Stage II T3N0M0 DX April 2, 2015
6 cm. mid-rectum-CEA 121
Xeloda and radiation finished 06/15/15- CEA 242
CEA right before surgery 81
LAR performed 8/12/15 Temporary ileostomy
CEA 10-21-15 1.6
PET scan 11-4-15 All clear
Port installed 11/11/15
Folfox started 11/18/15
Folfox stopped due to bad reaction
Reversal 2/17/16
CEA 2/3/16 1.7
CEA 3/31/16 1.3
CT Scan 4/12/16 All Clear
Port removed 4/21/16
CEA 5/24/17 1.4

MissMolly

Postby MissMolly » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:41 am

Judy:
I am tickled pink that the Tegraderm has offered you a modicum of relief. This bodes well that the CyMed products will work well for you, as the micro-skin wafer/flange is similar in composition to Tegraderm.

To answer your questions . . .
The reason to change the Tegraderm every 24 hours is to avoid trapping wound exudate under the Tegraderm.

A healing wound excretes serous fluid and dead WBCs and lymphocytes. Removing the Tegraderm serves as an effective debridement of the wound bed. Pulling the Tegraderm off and away cleans the wound bed, allowing for the budding of new, healthy granulation tissue.

After removing the Tegraderm, take a shower and allow a gentle stream of warm water to run over the wound bed. You can clean the area with a glycerin-based soap, using the tips of your fingers. Do not use a wash cloth to clean or scrub the area. You can use a small gauze pad to clean the outer edges of the wound, removing any crusted exudate. The wound will heal with new granulation tissue from its outside edges inward to the center of the wound.

Another idea . . .
I routinely use witch hazel to clean parastomal skin which is intact (no cuts or open areas). Moisten a cotton ball with witch hazel and dab on the skin. It is soothing. Be forewarned: Do not use witch hazel on skin that is highly irritated or open/cuts/fissues. You will experience an intense and unpleasant stinging sensation.

If dehydration remains a concern, consider the Cera-Lyte products. Cera-Lyte is superior in osmolality, absorption, and electrolyte replacement than Gatorade or Pedialyte. Cera-Lyte 70 is the product formulation recommended for re-hydration for ileostomies. It comes in single-serve packets as a powder that you mix with water or juice. It tastes quite good and is refreshing.

I believe the website is: http://www.ceralyteproductsinc.com

Sending you healing energy.
Dear friend to Bella Piazza, former Colon Club member (NWGirl).
I have a permanent ileostomy and offer advice on living with an ostomy - in loving remembrance of Bella
I am on Palliative Care for broad endocrine failure + Addison's disease + osteonecrosis of both hips/jaw + immunosuppression. I live a simple life due to frail health.

Sams wife

Postby Sams wife » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:27 am

JudeD59 wrote:
I said earlier in the thread that I didn't think I would know if I had diarrhea because of the bag, but ever since I left the hospital, my bag has filled much quicker, has been 95% liquid, and yellowish even though I'm eating regularly.

Judy

Did you call the dr? Hubby's was greenish. Doc said food was moving to fast. I think that's about the time he ended up in hospital too. But a week or 2 after that he had to skip a chemo treatment because of thrush. After fluconazol, everything got better. He couldn't even eat. That was before colostomy tho. Maybe nurses at Onc know if its fluids or diareah.
Make sure you go get fluids if you need them.
Husband dx 1/13/15 St.2 CEA 7.1
Chemo/25rad 2/15 till 4/24/15
5FU/leucovorin
Surgery 6/8/2015 Stage IIa T3N0MX microscopic cancer left
Watching 4 lung spots
0/5 lymph nodes. Lap. APR
25% less 5FU/leucovorin 7/14/2015 x 26 CEA 3.4
25% more 5fu 9/2015
9/16/15 CEA 7.7
1/16/16 @ 9.2 during allergy?
3/16 New lung spot 4x4 mm
6/16 CEA 6.9 spot 5x5