UPDATE advice needed - I'm in the hospital with ovarian cyst

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
orcasres

Re: advice needed - I'm in the hospital with ovarian cyst

Postby orcasres » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:30 pm

Debb's response is right on target. Just because it is benign and not a CRC met does not mean it should not be removed. Considering it is causing you pain and because of its size it should not be just allowed to go away on its own and it sounds like you are following up with that in mind. Good luck. Lois
63 yo F
Colon resection Sept. 2010
pT3N0M0 Stage 2A
Medullary Tumor 6.5cm long
Lymphovascular invasion
Lynch negative
12 FOLFOX 11/2010 to 5/2011 8 w/Oxi
NED so far

debb

Postby debb » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:49 pm

Hi again,
I'm so glad you are having it removed. Hopefully, it is just a normal, everyday, big, fat ovarian cyst!! You'll get rid if the pain, plus find out what that sucker is...and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

You're right..they prob do th CA 125 blood test to get info in case it could be ovarian. Hopefully the world is not that cruel for you to have two primary cancers!! My BFF recently had a giant cyst removed...bigger than a grapefruit...and it was completely benign. Hoping for that for you.

Maybe discuss with your doc what would be done in the event it is a CRC met. I was told both ovaries would then be removed. I was fine with that...I would want to worry about recurrence in the leftover ovary. Of course, I went into instant menopause, but honestly, that was not too bad for me.
I'm thinking good thoughts for you!!
Stage 3C, Dx at 42, mom of 4
Colon resection 7/08
Folfox 9/08-2/09
Met to right ovary, both ovaries removed 7/10
HIPEC 8/10
VATS 7/12, 2 nodes, right lung
10/14 3 lung nodes, Stivarga clinical trial
3/15-7/15 Folfiri & avastin for lung things
Break! One+ year of freedom
8/16 Folfiri & avastin..lung things again
Break! 10 months of freedom
1/18 rib mets, radiation, folfiri & avastin
1/19 rib mets again, radiation, folfiri & avastin

hummingbird3

Postby hummingbird3 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi Lara,

First off .. I would like to tell you how sorry I am you are back on this roller coaster. Hope it is just a smooth coast.
With that being said, I agree you need to get this thing out.

I was in the exact same situation as Debb. I had a "cyst" on my ovary .. the ob/gyn oncologist was certain by its appearance (being fluid filled) it was just that .. a cyst. I was your age at the time and was also told this is very typical to have these at our age. I like Debb, was booked for surgery, and before I could get there it had leaked its fluid all over my abdomen. Just like Debb, it was crc met. to ovary. I did not have hipec, but standard chemo after surgery and did recur to pelvis. :roll:

I am not trying to be negative Nelly .. just want you to be aggressive and assertive .. because colon cancer is no joke and we are all at high risk .. scans, mri, ultrasounds and medical professionals all thought mine was "just a cyst" .. all except me and my CR surgeon, that is.

As for if it is possible for slow growing crc to grow that fast .. well, in my case it was the fluid being built up in the ovary from the constriction of the actual tumor that made it appear to be a cyst and be growing so fast .. not the actual tumor.

I sure hope this helps.
My best to you.

arizona mom

UPDATE Re: advice needed - I'm in the hospital with ovarian cyst

Postby arizona mom » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:00 pm

Here's an UPDATE.

They sent me home with surgery scheduled for Friday morning. Not as soon as I hoped, but its the best they could offer.

The pain is more manageable. I can't do much, but as long as I'm settled and not moving, I'm not in much pain at all.

The cyst is complex in that it has little walls running through it. That makes it more concerning than one giant water balloon. (but maybe it would be less likely to pop?) It is 7 X 4 inches (that's like the size of a gatoraide bottle!) My CEA was 1.0 and ca-125 was 22 (normal is under 35). There was no mention of it on my last CT scan 2 1/2 months ago. This sucker is growing so fast!!

The gyn onc who will be doing the surgery was not as positive as I had hoped. Her manner freaked me out a bit. But the good news is she is taking the surgery very seriously. If everything tests normal during surgery, she will leave my left ovary and take out everything else. She offered to leave my uterus, but after some consideration I decided to let that go. It will be open surgery.

I saw my regular onc today (for my HAI flush). I told him my story and he said this is absolutely not CRC related. When I said "But, it might be a new primary...", his response was "yes, and a meteor might fall on my house". Perhaps he is too encouraging, but I like him. I do enough worrying for the both of us.

hummingbird and debb,

How long did they wait before your surgery?
How big was the cyst?
Could you tell that it had burst? pain?
Did you have your CEA tested?
How long before they knew it was a CRC met? Was it during surgery?

Thanks,
Lara
47 yrs mom of 4
5-7-14 - dx stage IV-3 liver mets. CEA 76
5-20-14 Folfox w/Avastin
7-24-14 - Colon/liver resection and HAI implant at MSKCC
11-18-2014 - scan- NED!
12-19-14 finished 12 treatments of Folfox (dropped Oxali after 9)
2-19-15, 6-18-15 clean scans - NED
9-11-15 mets in ovaries - hysterectomy - CEA 1.0
Folfiri 10/15 to 3/16
3-24-16 CT scan NED
7-1-16 It's back. 1cm in lung and 3 peri mets. :(

Nik Colon

Re: UPDATE advice needed - I'm in the hospital with ovarian cyst

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:06 am

As far as crc, it is usually slow growing, but there are rare cases it's fast, very rare. Hope it's just a cyst and they get it out fast as I know how painful they can be, don't remember the size of the one I had removed or the sizes of other ones I had that went away. Best wishes, please let us know

debb

Postby debb » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:31 am

Hi...glad you are on to of the pain for the time being, and very happy that you are having surgery. Get that outta there!

To answer some of your questions, I had about a week between my surgical appt (with vag US done on that day too) to the day of surgery.

I just looked it up and my "cyst" was 9.7x7.8 cm! Vag US that day called it a "most likely hemorrhagic cyst." My gyn surgeon said he'd do surgery, if I wanted (hell yeah, I did!) and my onc told me that it was most likely " a big fat nothing." I'm a patient at MSKCC.

I had no idea that the thing had burst..no pain or anything. They told me after surgery. My CEA is not an clear indicator for me. When I have a recurrence, it's about 2.5...when I'm NED it's 1.8 ish. So not really useful.

They send the tissue to path during surgery so they know what to do. As I've told you, I had a few options that would occur during surgery, depending on the pathology. I woke in recovery, all groggy of course, and before I saw my husband or doc, I asked my nurse what just happened. She told me I had both ovaries removed. I started crying because I knew that meant CRC.

Good for you to take that uterus out too. I wish I had been more informed and I would have insisted that be taken as well. I'm not using it and why give this damn cancer another possible place to plant itself! But so far, I'm good there!

You'll do great, and you'll be so happy to have this taken care of. I wish you the best.
Stage 3C, Dx at 42, mom of 4
Colon resection 7/08
Folfox 9/08-2/09
Met to right ovary, both ovaries removed 7/10
HIPEC 8/10
VATS 7/12, 2 nodes, right lung
10/14 3 lung nodes, Stivarga clinical trial
3/15-7/15 Folfiri & avastin for lung things
Break! One+ year of freedom
8/16 Folfiri & avastin..lung things again
Break! 10 months of freedom
1/18 rib mets, radiation, folfiri & avastin
1/19 rib mets again, radiation, folfiri & avastin

CM35

Postby CM35 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:10 am

Lara, I just want to say I think you are doing everything right! Good luck tomorrow, I'm thinking of you...

Colleen :)
stg IV 4/2013 @34 - liver, ovary/peritoneum
Lots of chemo, surgery and good luck - still doing well 03/2016...

DarknessEmbraced
Facebook Username: Riann Fletcher

Postby DarknessEmbraced » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:17 am

Good luck with your surgery tomorrow. Hope it goes well and you have a smooth recovery,*hugs*
Diagnosed 10/28/14, age 36
Colon Resection 11/20/14, LAR (no illeo)
Stage 2a colon cancer, T3NOMO
Lymph-vascular invasion undetermined
0/22 lymph nodes
No chemo, no radiation
Clear Colonoscopy 04/29/15
NED 10/20/15
Ischemic Colitis 01/21/16
NED 11/10/16
CT Scan moved up due to high CEA 08/21/17
NED 09/25/17
NED 12/21/18
Clear colonoscopy 09/23/19
Clear 5 year scans 11/21/19- Considered cured! :)

Deb m

Postby Deb m » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:51 pm

I have had many ovarian cysts. They were all described as fluid filled. Not solid. This is one thing they can distinguish from cancer pretty well.

deb m

Stanfordmom

Postby Stanfordmom » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Lara,

Hope your surgery tomorrow goes smoothly, and it is just a boring cyst!

Will pray for you!

Sha
DX 4/2/2014 at 44, stage 4, mets liver and ovaries
Mom to 2 boys
Three surgeries, HAI pump and lots of chemo
fighting!

hummingbird3

Postby hummingbird3 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Hi there ... I hope it is not too late for you to receive this post before your surgery tomorrow. Somehow my last message did not post.

I wanted to answer some of your questions:
My ovary had grown to softball size. This was not from the tumor, but the fluid filling it from the stickiness of the cancer restricting the flow of fluid through Fallopian tube.
It was discovered during surgery where a frozen biopsy was done (same as Debb) that it was really CRC met. At that time the surgeon knew how to proceed. We had discussed the options prior to surgery.
As for pain, I would say looking back, that yes there seem to be pressure and dull side pain. But nothing crazy and surely could be explained to ovulation. More of a fullness I would say.
I did not know the ovary leaked until I woke from surgery.
I had discussed in length with my surgeon prior to surgery that if it was CRC met. to please complete a hysterectomy. Both ovaries would be taken at that time regardless, so I did not want the unneeded baggage, so to speak, as another cancer magnet. It just seemed to make the most sense to me. I do not regret that decision.
My surgery was a bit over an month from time of confirming the "cyst" needed to come out.
My CEA is not a good marker for me. It was only 1 at the time. It has never gone above that regardless of active cancer or not. I fluctuate between .5 and 1.

I hope you have unremarkable findings tomorrow and that this thing is just a cyst. I will be thinking of you! Best of luck and a quick, easy recovery!
9/11 dx CRC, colectomy/ileostomy, Stage IIIC :shock:
11/11 - 6/12 FOLFOX/nulasta
7/12 watching possible cyst on ovary ... 8/12 it grew
10/12 hysterectomy, oophorectomy, complications/blockage, TPN
Stage IVa
12/12 small bowel resection
3/13 -9/13 FOLFIRI/nulasta
NED
10/14 - 2/15 close monitoring
4/15 it grew
PET/biopsy .. local recurrence
8/15 surgery
NED ... No chemo!

rwightman

Postby rwightman » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:04 pm

Lara, good luck tomorrow. What hospital will you be at? Let me know if you want me to smuggle in some food for you. I will come visit if you want company!
10/9/14 DX Age 50 - MSS
10/23/14 - Colon Resection - Stage II - 0/15 lympth nodes
12/30/14 - Stage IV - 1 liver met 2cc - Liver Resection - No lymph nodes and margins clear
3/10/15 - peri mets
3/15 - Folfox with Avastin - 7 tx
7/15 - HIPEC - 2 peri mets
10/14 - resection of abdominal met
11/12 - 5FU

arizona mom

Postby arizona mom » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:26 am

Thank you all you much for your words of encouragement!!

I'm a nervous wreck. It will be so nice to get this over with!

Romy, I'll be at St. Joe's.

I'll post an update as soon as I can.

Lara
47 yrs mom of 4
5-7-14 - dx stage IV-3 liver mets. CEA 76
5-20-14 Folfox w/Avastin
7-24-14 - Colon/liver resection and HAI implant at MSKCC
11-18-2014 - scan- NED!
12-19-14 finished 12 treatments of Folfox (dropped Oxali after 9)
2-19-15, 6-18-15 clean scans - NED
9-11-15 mets in ovaries - hysterectomy - CEA 1.0
Folfiri 10/15 to 3/16
3-24-16 CT scan NED
7-1-16 It's back. 1cm in lung and 3 peri mets. :(

jalusa

Postby jalusa » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:44 am

Best wishes.
Hoping to get to resection with HAI pump.
Failed PVE - Searching for options
Chemo for life

hummingbird3

Postby hummingbird3 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:18 am

Lots of luck to you ...
Try not to be nervous .. either way you are likely in great hands and this is getting taken care of real quick.
Worry won't change a thing.
Good vibes coming your way for smooth sailing! :)
9/11 dx CRC, colectomy/ileostomy, Stage IIIC :shock:
11/11 - 6/12 FOLFOX/nulasta
7/12 watching possible cyst on ovary ... 8/12 it grew
10/12 hysterectomy, oophorectomy, complications/blockage, TPN
Stage IVa
12/12 small bowel resection
3/13 -9/13 FOLFIRI/nulasta
NED
10/14 - 2/15 close monitoring
4/15 it grew
PET/biopsy .. local recurrence
8/15 surgery