Save Lou

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Jen Blaire

Save Lou

Postby Jen Blaire » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:36 pm

Hi my name is Jen Blaire, aka miss september of this years colondar, and I just found out that a good friend of my brothers has been diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer, with liver mets, and he has no insurance, and doesn't know what to do. Well, of course i told him about the site and gave him a colondar to start him out, but of course it is still scary when your doctor tells you that you have 6 months to live. Just reaching out to the stage 4 fighters to get there positive stories coming out again, so he can see them. Plus, he has a website that has his story, www.savelou.com , that I would like you all to visit to read his story, he is a wonderful person from what i hear, and his story has really opened my eyes to how lucky I am. So, please open up about your survivals, again, see his story, and I will tell him again to come to our site.

~Jen Blaire
Stage III rectal cancer survivor, Age 21, and Miss September 2006 Colondar model

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:50 pm

Hi Jen,

Is your friend in California. I used to live there, and at the time, a cancer diagnosis could qualify you for state funding. It's not the best coverage, but it's better than nothing. And then there are clinical trials. Lots of free stuff there.

I marvel at the amazing stories on this board. I've been on other boards where everyone was posting about how badly they were doing. I'm so glad I found this one. I'm 52 with Stage III colon cancer diagnosed this past March at my first screening colonoscopy. I had no symptoms except six years of IBS which I still believe was really IBS. (At least at first) The symptoms were SO classic, and it came and went with the stress in my life. It was actually quite a bit BETTER at the time I was diagnosed. I got scoped just because I was 51 and it was time. You younger people just amaze me.

Anyway, I certianly was helped by the stories on this board. I think my story is too new to be of much help. I'm only halfway through treatment, but I'm doing well with it. I can recommend a good book, though. I'm going to post it on its own thread so everyone can see it. It's called, "The Anatomy of Hope" by Jerome Groopman. Very theraputic.

Traybug

Postby Traybug » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:57 pm

Hello Jen,

I went to Lou's site and donated money. It's such a shame that in the most powerful country in the world, we don't all have the luxury of focusing 100% on getting well when faced with a health crisis. It's ridiculous.

As you may know, my brother is a 32 year old stage IV colon cancer survivor. Diagnosed September of 05 at the age of 31, he has gone through surgery and six months of chemo. He has enjoyed a chemo and cancer free summer since April. We certainly don't know what tomorrow will bring, but today he is doing awesome and he is very hopeful about the latest treatment options and what the future holds.

If you read this Lou, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Please know that stage IV is not the death sentence that it used to be. You are young, and there are many treatment options available to you. Cancer is scary period. But please know that you are not alone, and you can learn so much from the wonderful people on this board.

Best wishes,

Tracey

Postby Guest » Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:58 am

For those that want to contact Lou directly, his email is spenkovich@yahoo.com , and thank you very much you your kind words.

becky

Postby becky » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:30 pm

Please call all means like health dept and medical places in his area to see if their are any funds for treatment. how about clinical trials???
Relay for life in your area or a fund raiser of some sort?
Let lou know that his story is very meaningful and will touch many lives.

I was diagnosed at the age 0f 33 and will celebrate my 36 birthday next week. I had a resection and chemo. Although I was a Stage IIB I believe attitude is everything. Staging and diagnosis is all medical terms. and as you know everyone is different. Please refer Lou to this site for encourgement. I wish I know about it two years ago. I felt so alone because no one around me was educated and could give me hope. Lou you go man!!!!! God has a plan (what a great set of parents to have in your corner).

You do what you need to survive !!!!! Focus on being well and taking baby steps!!!

Take Care

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”