I removed my post, please ignore this thread

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
jortego128

Re: I am SO angry with this religious debate!

Postby jortego128 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:46 pm

Great post Diane! So glad to see you have NED!!
DM 57 yrs old dx 6/8/15 T:4a N:1b M:1
KRAS G12D and TP53 C242fs mutations
Poorly Differentiated, Prominent Signet Ring Component(~50%)
Microsatellite Stable, 3 of (13)lymph nodes positive
15 Liver mets, largest 3.2 cm
Prim. Resection, Right Hemicolectomy 6/21/15
Start Chemo 7/20/15
2 rounds FOLFOX, 1 round FOLFOX +Avastin
CT 8/28/15, met growth, largest 4.5cm
4 rounds FOLFOX+Avastin
CT 11/06/15 mets stable, lungs clear
Begin FOLFIRI+Avastin 11/17/15, Stop chemo 1/26/16
Entered Paradise 3/11/2016

robinkaye

Postby robinkaye » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:48 pm

Maybe what we need is a "safe room" for people who are so easily offended by someone's else's opinions. Dealing with cancer can involve politics (healthcare), religion, treatments, alternatives, family support and squabbles and many things I haven't thought of. Get involved in the debate or don't. Offer opinions in a respectful tone or stay out of the conversation. Just because someone believes something you don't is no reason to slam the person or trash their beliefs.

Instead of a separate forum for debate anyone who is upset at the mention of religion can go look at pretty pictures on a separate forum. It's what is being done at universities, safe rooms are set up for the offended, a place to go where they have coloring books, play dough and puppy videos. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/judith-shulevitz-hiding-from-scary-ideas.html

I'm not very religious, sort of in the JDinNC camp. I don't believe in divine intervention but neither am I offended by someone who does and wants to talk about it. There are plenty of people here who may want to engage in the conversation...just "walk" away. Don't be concerned with a newbie reading the thread and getting turned off. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of new readers won't stop at one post to form an opinion and most likely they are grow ups who can figure out what's what all by themselves...they don't need to be either shielded or protected by what some consider offensive.
Husband has RC Stage IIIC
Chemorad 9/28-11/07
2 rounds FOLFOX to get rid of iliac LN
LAR Surgery 1/17 ileostomy
presacral abscess 2/1 - 3/27
FOLFOX began 4/5 - 6/15
another presacral abscess 6/30-8/10
Reversal 9/11
10/15 fistula with drain

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:58 pm

robinkaye wrote:Instead of a separate forum for debate anyone who is upset at the mention of religion can go look at pretty pictures on a separate forum. It's what is being done at universities, safe rooms are set up for the offended, a place to go where they have coloring books, play dough and puppy videos.

I'll bet you can guess what I think you should do with your "play doh" and your coloring book if there's still room.

Why is it that you mostly only comment on threads that are controversial? Is it that you have nothing left to offer? Slip back into the shadows now little doggie.
Last edited by KWT on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jortego128

Postby jortego128 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:08 pm

robinkaye wrote:Instead of a separate forum for debate anyone who is upset at the mention of religion can go look at pretty pictures on a separate forum. It's what is being done at universities, safe rooms are set up for the offended, a place to go where they have coloring books, play dough and puppy videos. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/22/opinion/sunday/judith-shulevitz-hiding-from-scary-ideas.html

:mrgreen:
DM 57 yrs old dx 6/8/15 T:4a N:1b M:1
KRAS G12D and TP53 C242fs mutations
Poorly Differentiated, Prominent Signet Ring Component(~50%)
Microsatellite Stable, 3 of (13)lymph nodes positive
15 Liver mets, largest 3.2 cm
Prim. Resection, Right Hemicolectomy 6/21/15
Start Chemo 7/20/15
2 rounds FOLFOX, 1 round FOLFOX +Avastin
CT 8/28/15, met growth, largest 4.5cm
4 rounds FOLFOX+Avastin
CT 11/06/15 mets stable, lungs clear
Begin FOLFIRI+Avastin 11/17/15, Stop chemo 1/26/16
Entered Paradise 3/11/2016

Bev G
Facebook Username: Bev Golde

Postby Bev G » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:41 pm

kennytwisted wrote:
robinkaye wrote:Instead of a separate forum for debate anyone who is upset at the mention of religion can go look at pretty pictures on a separate forum. It's what is being done at universities, safe rooms are set up for the offended, a place to go where they have coloring books, play dough and puppy videos.

I'll bet you can guess what I think you should do with your "play doh" and your coloring book if there's still room.

Why is it that you mostly only comment on threads that are controversial? Is it that you have nothing left to offer? Slip back into the shadows now little doggie.

Love you, Kenny, butt isn't that comment unnecessarily nasty? I'm surprised you would write that, really makes me sad FWIW.
58 yo Type1 DM 48 years
12/09 Stage IV 2/22 nodes + liver met, colon resec
3 tx FOLFIRI, liver resec 4/10
9/10 6 mos off chemo, Neg PET&CTC CEA nl
2/11 finished total 10 rounds chemo

9/13 ^17th clean PET/CT NED for now

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:52 pm

ritz75 wrote:As someone mentioned, can we ask the admin/mods to start 2 topics...one for belief and one for not. I personally don't mind, but it seems to bring out the worst on both sides. Maybe if they had 2 threads dedicated to either it would stop this. I personally don't have an issue with either but some are very passionate on either side and it may be nice for them to have an outlet and leave both sides out of regular threads. Jmo, I really don't understand the anger on either side but it keeps happening, so I say let's have their own threads and tell everyone to leave it in those.

OK Clue me in. Writing a post like this is confusing to those of us who have no idea what you are talking about. Those who do, are spending way too much time, making the Colon Club, a Facebook page.
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:59 pm

Bev G wrote:
kennytwisted wrote:

Love you, Kenny, butt isn't that comment unnecessarily nasty? I'm surprised you would write that, really makes me sad FWIW.

Pretty much. Do you think her post was meant to be helpful?

canadiandaughter

Postby canadiandaughter » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:12 pm

I dont see a problem here. The original post screamed religion with the title "Divine Healing". It is pretty simple, if you have faith, go have a look, if religion bothers you like it seems to with the odd one on this board, stay the heck away if you can't keep your nasty comments to yourself. It was after a few of those that the post went to hell on both sides of the fence. The op was just fine and might have given someone with faith some hope or at least something to give them some strength.
Already on this post there is some nasty comments. Everyone is allowed their own opinions, but if something bothers you so much that you are going to ridicule and be nasty. push away the keyboard!! There are so many other posts on here that you can contribute to! I really don't think we need a separate spot for religious posts, we just need everyone to behave like the adults that we are, if you can't maybe we do need some pictures to color and some play doh!! :?
DD to 81 year old father
dx 24/07/14 iv cc mets liver/lung
folifiri started 19/07/14
shrinkage of all mets
growth in the liver,started folfox/avastin 80% 13/01/16
reduced to 70% due to side effects 27/01/16
First scan on folfox shows shrinkage in lungs, but liver just stable
6 rounds of vectibix-fail. 3cm growth and new spots showing Waiting for panel recommendations
At peace January 8, 2017

justin case

Postby justin case » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:23 pm

Divine Healing Post. :roll: Some people believe what they believe, I have no problem with that. Debating someone's beliefs is a futile effort at best. Posting that you are angry about someone's beliefs, that led to debate, for what ever reason is ridiculous to me.To continue to justify one's stance is petty. Ha!
Michael
7/11 diagnosed Stage 2 colon and rectal cancer
chemo/rad
lar/temp ilio
Reversal & port removal
21 round of chemo Folfox 9tx, 5fu 12 tx
Last treatment July 2012

MSJC

Postby MSJC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:41 pm

MamaN wrote:This why I stopped coming around . Lets all get along . Everyone has the right to their own opinions . But you know that saying never discuss religion or politics . We are cancer support group .

I'm with you! I haven't been... and won't be around often. I'm far from perfect and admit it. There are some hypocritical, self-appointed Gods of Colon Talk (in their own minds anyway) that want to stick their two cents worth in others business and point out how wrong I was for a stupid post that I made, then turn around and give advice to "pack a gun" for a hospital stay to someone on this forum. I believe that is the definition of a hypocrite! :roll:
Mike, 49 y/o at Dx 1/14 stage 3c
low rectal cancer 7 nodes positive
2/14 5 weeks chemo/rad. 5-fu
4/14 Lar gallbladder removed,
temp ileostomy
5/14 8 rds Folfox
10/14 reversal surgery
5/15 clean colonoscopy
6/15 clean ct scan

GrouseMan

Postby GrouseMan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:45 pm

So am I, but rather than start another debate thread it would have been better to just ignore the first and not post to it. So this will now continue to spin out of control, causing more people on both sides to get ticked off.

EVERYONE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO IGNORE ME AT ANY TIME. I WILL EVENTUALLY GO AWAY.

Having once run a computer bulletin board with dial up modems pre internet (remember those anyone), these sorts of things started all sorts of storms to the point many BBS systems would down right shut down because there was really no good way to block people then. Best to ignore what you don't agree with. I am a non believer, coming from a family that includes a Baptist Minister and many deacons. I have studied many religions, over the years, so no one can say I am ignorant about most of them and their traditions. No one is better than another and in my opinion are for the most part for those of weak will and easy influence. But that's my opinion. And please don't respond as I really don't care if you think I am a sinner or disagree with me.

Now lets get back to exchanging useful information about this damn disease.

GrouseMan
Last edited by GrouseMan on Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DW 53 dx Jun 2013
CT mets Liver Spleen lung. IVb CEA~110
Jul 2013 Sig Resct
8/13 FolFox,Avastin 12Tx mild sfx, Ongoing 5-FU Avastin every 3 wks.
CEA: good marker
7/7/14 CT Can't see the spleen Mets.
8/16/15 CEA Up, CT new abdominal mets. Iri, 5-FU, Avastin every 2 wks.
1/16 Iri, Erbitux and likely Avastin (Trial) CEA going >.
1/17 CEA up again dropped from Trial, Mets growth 4-6 mm in abdomen
5/2/17 Failed second trial, Hospitalized 15 days 5/11. Home Hospice 5/26, at peace 6/4/2017

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

Postby dianetavegia » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:00 pm

Okay, so I read two or three of the first posts on the Divine Healing thread.

Here's my take:
I believe God healed me but I believed that before I had the spread to the liver. I'm now Stage IVa Oligo-recurrent. I might go for my CT scan in Oct. and find I have a spread again BUT I do believe the Bible when it said to call for the elders of your church, have them pray, lay on hands and anoint you with oil. I did that just before my liver resection and did it in faith. If God chooses to allow me to continue to have recurrences, then I'll still believe He healed me, but He never said it would be instantly or a one time battle. It might be when I walk through those heavenly gates. Actually, a Christian believes we don't die (souls). We just move on up, as it were. Oh death where is your sting? Oh grave, where is your victory? Weak? Nope.

So, looking at the Divine healing thread, several of the preachers mention are people I consider money grubbing TV preachers. I used to get the devotionals from one mentioned and they all ended with 'send me money' if you want God to heal you. I needed a pillowcase or a handkerchief, a bottle of blessed water...... all available for a small donation. Uh....... not in the Bible! I mean, if Benny Hinn can 'heal', then how come he's bald and wears glasses. I believe God still heals today and heals some for specific reasons and allows others to pass on for a specific reason. I'm certainly not qualified to question His decision!

Another thing, the Bible says that God appointed each man a time to die. There's an invisible time stamp on the bottom of our foot, top of our head or hiny and only God knows when that time will be!

I believe we are to use common sense, have surgery, decide pro or con on chemo, do what we can to preserve life but the more I read and learn, the less faith I have in chemo! My mother once said that if we didn't have Blue Cross for a few months if Jim changed jobs that he'd be killing me! She had 'faith' in Blue Cross!

So, this is certainly NOT MEANT to offend anyone but I find comfort in my faith and I only want YOU to be at peace with whatever we end up facing. None of us are going to live forever and I like to say 'Cancer may kill me, but NOT TODAY'.

Now, please, if someone offends you, block 'em! Skip their posts! I am not offended when you send light, universal power, swing chickens because I see it as something from your heart! If Christians are not offended by 'HOPE you get better', 'Wish you the best', 'Sending good thoughts', then why are you offended by 'I'm going to pray for you!' Like I said before, PRAYER is the best I can do IMHO. I go to the God I believe in with all my heart and ask for your needs to be met. If I'm wrong and there is no God, then how did I harm you? Is that not, then, just the same as 'sending good thoughts, wishing you well, hoping you get better'?

Sometimes I think cancer steals so much joy and hope from us that we lash out over things that don't matter. If God healed everyone who asked, the hospitals would have to close down. Let it go and PLEASE don't destroy this forum in the guise of political correctness. There's too much excellent information and guidance here to ever let that happen. This forum SAVES LIVES. People share information here that SAVES LIVES. A kind word when someone is considering suicide out of fear of cancer SAVES LIVES.

So, be sweet and talk nice!
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

11 years since dx and 7 3/4 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

robinkaye

Postby robinkaye » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:03 pm

Kenny, there are safe rooms, read the article, the point here is that instead of stifling debate and sending those with whom we disagree to a separate forum we all just learn to live with different viewpoints. It was meant to be sarcastic to illustrate the point. There is no need to be offended by words and beliefs...just ignore the posts with which you disagree or disagree but be respectful of different viewpoints. Maybe the original poster wanted someone to talk to. I'm sure there are many more here that would engage especially if they didn't find themselves the butt of a joke.

Yes, I like debate but I only tend to jump in when someone else is being ridiculed. I quit commenting and I'll go back to my wherever it is you said...but thank you for proving my point.
Husband has RC Stage IIIC
Chemorad 9/28-11/07
2 rounds FOLFOX to get rid of iliac LN
LAR Surgery 1/17 ileostomy
presacral abscess 2/1 - 3/27
FOLFOX began 4/5 - 6/15
another presacral abscess 6/30-8/10
Reversal 9/11
10/15 fistula with drain

dianetavegia
Facebook Username: Diane Weldy Tavegia

duplicate

Postby dianetavegia » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:12 pm

computer glitch?
Last edited by dianetavegia on Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stage III cc surgery 1/7/09. 12 tx FOLFOX
Stage IV PET = 1.5cm liver met. HR 4/11/12

11 years since dx and 7 3/4 years post liver resection.
Pronounced CURED and discharged by onc

“O Lord my God, I cried out to You, And You healed me.” Psalms 30:2

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:19 pm

robinkaye wrote:but thank you for proving my point.

You're welcome! So glad to help, I'm a giver.

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”