Operation locally recurrent rectal cancer on its way

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
Ratepo

Operation locally recurrent rectal cancer on its way

Postby Ratepo » Wed Aug 26, 2015 6:44 am

Just to give another update on my dad's situation.

Sometimes he can't see how lucky he is to be still alive. All of the examples I gave him in the last years who were still living after a somewhat similar diagnosis as he have past away in the meantime, but my father is still there. I put this mainly here to give others hope that no matter how dark it gets, the sun can somehow shine again one day. Of course I realize this isn't for everyone.

After the devastating news that the cancer has returned aroud the original place in his rectum we knew it was a longshot that a curative surgery could be performed. However a couple months after this news - and during chemoradiotherapy spending weeks in the hospital without the possibility to eat - we've heard last Monday that he can be operated in a few weeks. Scans show the tumor consists of necrosis (dead tissue) for as much as scans are able to show this. Considering that he has bad luck the tumor has returned, he is lucky that it has popped up at this precise place. There will be complications along the way after the operation, however there is a new chance he will have some more healthy years. I can't imagine he will be completely cured one day, but he is living 3 years with the cancer now with good qol and hopefully we can add some more to that after this 6th operation.
Father dx 10/12 rectal 4a
11/12 3 liver mets resected
01/13 colostomy
07/13 scan: 1 liver met, op. failed: multiple discovered, start xelox
12/13 mets shrink (kras mut.)
01/14 liver op new hospital: 2 mets removed others disappeared
05/14 & 09/14 NED
01/15 CEA rise to 5
05/15 local reccurence - rad + Xeloda
10/15 op. failed unremovable mets lower pelvis

ozziej

Re: Operation locally recurrent rectal cancer on its way

Postby ozziej » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:12 am

Wishing your dad all the best for his forthcoming operation, he is lucky to have you supporting him.
Jan
F 56 dx 11/14 Stage 1 RC (post EMR)
No neo-adjuvant or adjuvant chemo/RD
3/15 ULAR (open) temp loop ileo
5/15 ileo reversal
NED and hoping to stay that way!! : )

Nik Colon

Re: Operation locally recurrent rectal cancer on its way

Postby Nik Colon » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:29 pm

Best wishes

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”