O/T Good Gardening

Please feel free to read, share your thoughts, your stories and connect with others!
BrownBagger

O/T Good Gardening

Postby BrownBagger » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:51 am

This is a crummy cell phone shot, but this is about the fourth broccoli harvest this summer, with more on the way. I have about 30 plants, and they just keep producing. Sweet tasting, too. Those are pole beans behind me to the left.

Eric, 58
Dx: 3/09, Stage 4 RC
Recurrences: (ongoing, lung, bronchial cavity, ribs)
Major Ops: 6/ RFA: 3 /bronchoscopies: 8
Pelvic radiation: 5 wks. Bronchial radiation—brachytheray: 3 treatments
Chemo Rounds (career):136
Current Chemo Cocktail: Xeloda & Erbitux & Irinotecan biweekly
Current Cocktail; On the Wagon (mostly)
Bicycle miles post-dx 10,477
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

jortego128

Re: O/T Good Gardening

Postby jortego128 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:37 am

Nice harvest! I love broccoli, especially steamed and drenched in melted Velveeta cheese. :lol:

We made a small garden this year, did OK for our first garden, made a lot of cucumbers and carrots. Tomatoes did OK, sweet corn, not good at all. :(

Since finding out about my mom and her going through surgery and now chemo, it got neglected quite a bit. Seriously need to clean it up now.
DM 57 yrs old dx 6/8/15 T:4a N:1b M:1
KRAS G12D and TP53 C242fs mutations
Poorly Differentiated, Prominent Signet Ring Component(~50%)
Microsatellite Stable, 3 of (13)lymph nodes positive
15 Liver mets, largest 3.2 cm
Prim. Resection, Right Hemicolectomy 6/21/15
Start Chemo 7/20/15
2 rounds FOLFOX, 1 round FOLFOX +Avastin
CT 8/28/15, met growth, largest 4.5cm
4 rounds FOLFOX+Avastin
CT 11/06/15 mets stable, lungs clear
Begin FOLFIRI+Avastin 11/17/15, Stop chemo 1/26/16
Entered Paradise 3/11/2016

chrissyrice

Postby chrissyrice » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:14 am

Gosh I sure wish I was your neighbor!

Love the fresh homegrown veggies.... yummy!

:mrgreen: Of course a bowl full of that great broccoli in lemon butter would get my colon moving full force :mrgreen: :lol:

Chrissy
DX 10-31-09 Surgery 12-1-09 Sigmoid Colon
Stage IIIb T3,N2,MX; Chemo Feb 2010-Aug 2010; 4 rounds Folfox; 8 rounds 5FU +LV
12/2010 PET/CT Scan, Cancer Free
7/2012 CT Scan NED 2 years
10/2013 NED 3 years
8/2014 NED 4 years
Recurrence 6/2015: iliac lymph node(s)
8/2015 Surgery: 3 cm tumor removed+iliac artery graft
3/2016 CT Scan Stable
6/2016 Stable
9/2016 Stable
12/2016 Stable
3/2017 Stable
Recurrence 6/2017
12/2017 Surgery removed all cancer w/ clean margins
07-27-2018 Cancer-free for 7 months

ams5796

Postby ams5796 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:02 am

Very impressive! That looks delicious.

Ann
Stage 3C (or 4?) Rectal Cancer 01/07
2/10 lung mets
3/11 VATS
6/11 VATS
7/13 lung met
2/14 SBRT
NED 8/14
5/17 scan and MRI found treated spine met

pfCml73183
Facebook Username: Celeste Marie Comeau

Postby pfCml73183 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:54 am

I have been waiting for this post. I thought I must have missed it.
Looks great. I had the best tasting broccoli this summer so I can relate to your "sweet" comment. I never had such sweet yummy broccoli. It is the best when they are still younder aren't they?
There is nothing like stepping outside and gathering your dinner.
Great to see you and your harvest, Celeste
Wife and BF to Peter, 54
mCRC/IV/BRAF+
Erbitux and Urelumab trial @MSKCC 3/15
went home 5/8/15

Icesk8tr

Postby Icesk8tr » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:08 pm

You look great BB and so does the broccoli :D

Hugs,
Christine
Stage IV CC 2010

kiwiinoz

Postby kiwiinoz » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:02 pm

Eric

Been hanging out for a garden update, and was thinking of PM'ing you this week to see how you and the garden were going. Looks like you have lost most of your 15 lbs too by having the good stuff, and not too much of it.
I am always envious of the fact that you have a garden and a space for all that food. I would love nothing more than to have such a garden, and the time to nurture it.

However, at this point of time I am much better at eating than I am in growing so I'll post something that I made on Saturday night and had with a nice bottle of red (French Merlot to be precise) which I enjoyed. It was a dish of venison, beetroot, mint, raspberry with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.

First time I had meat in a long time so I made sure I enjoyed it, and of course had a salad with it but it would have gone really nice with your broccoli, some feta, some nuts and some more of that balsamic vinegar.

How was infusion 100? How many miles are you up to now?

Kiwi
Last edited by kiwiinoz on Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stage IV Rectal Cancer (39 Year old male at dx)
pT3N0M1 (wish that was M0)
Diagnosed 05 Dec 2012
LAR 05 Jan 2013
VATS 27 Feb 2013
FOLOFX April 2013 - Sep 2013
Clear Scan 03 Dec 2013 - August 2020
Port Out 26 March 2015

Lee

Postby Lee » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:46 pm

I am so jealous.

I started a small garden this year (inspired by you and Belle). Had some good tomato plants until the heat kick in. Enjoyed strawberries, until we went on vacation. Daughter did not water plants as often as she should have, butt they were good till then. Still enjoying green peppers. BUTT my 2 eggplant plants did nothing except produce flowers. One of the 2 plants did produced a super small eggplant a few months back, but nothing since then. The other eggplant has produced nothing but flowers. I was told to wait until the heat kicked in. It's been super hot here and they are flowering, butt nothing beyond that.

I always love looking at your beautiful garden.

Lee
rectal cancer - April 2004
46 yrs old at diagnoses
stage III C - 6/13 lymph positive
radiation - 6 weeks
surgery - August 2004/hernia repair 2014
permanent colostomy
chemo - FOLFOX
NED - 16 years and counting!

carrie

Postby carrie » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:54 pm

Just love your garden posts BB! :D Wait for them every summer! Still a bit chilly in Perth Australia but spring starts on Sept 1st and I am looking forward to planting a few things. Plants all do well ...but I suck at growing some vegetables. Hope your green thumb rubs off on me and my tomatoes!! Great photo :D Good to see you enjoying your summer. Cheers.....Karen.
Diagnosed March 3/2013 Rectal cancer
T1N0MX 15 nodes biopsied, none positive
Lymphovascular invasion present/moderate
July 9/2013 ultra-low anterior resection
Temp ileostomy
Rectum removed
2 liver lesions- probable cysts
Probable cyst on spleen
Hernia.

texazgal

Postby texazgal » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:33 am

Good looking garden, guy! Reminds me of the only time I ever grew broccoli. It was northern Ohio in a little garden I started. Absolutely beautiful florets! Brought them in to wash before cooking and little bugs started coming out!! So many of them I couldn't get all of them out for sure. I finally gave up and threw them away. Broke my heart, but I was pregnant and couldn't bear the idea of eating a bug. And had no idea of any insecticide safe to use. I still garden organically, but it is a real challenge in hot dry Texas now. Lost almost all my peach crop in a single night to something, probably possum and coons. Tomatoes cratered in the heat and am just trying to keep the asparagus alive. If El Nino happens, we may get enough rain for a winter garden. Might try broccoli again, not so many bugs in the winter here.
DX rectal cancer Aug 04
Surgery Sept 04, perm ostomy, "BarbieButt" Sept 23, 04.
June 2019 stage 3 esophageal cancer
Aug. 2019 28 radiations, 5 chemo
Nov. PET shows original tumor and mets resolved, 2 new mets in liver and bone.
May 2020 port installed, started Folfox hope to do 12 rounds, cure not expected
Keytruda April 2021 8 rounds
scan showed small growth in tumors
Paclitaxol started summer 2021.
Scan July 30, 2021 showed small decrease in size of tumors in liver and bone

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:07 am

Tasty looking dish, Kiwi. I can see we have similar tastes in seasonings, etc.

Lee, I'm having the same experience with my eggplants. Got one fruit out of five nice, big, healthy-looking plants. I think the cool temps this summer, especially at night, are to blame. Lots of pretty flowers, though.

Texazgal--I had those worms in my first cutting, and none thereafter. I didn't use any insecticide this year (strictly organic), but I might try some BT next season. BT is an organic pesticide, but you still want to be careful with it. The way to get rid of the worms is by soaking the florets in warm, salty water before cooking. That gets most of them out of there. But as I said, the three subsequent harvests have been worm-free.

Everybody is complaining about their tomatoes this year, including me. Don't know what went wrong, but all my tomato plants are either pretty small, or dying. I'm getting a few cherry tomatoes, but nothing like most years. Again, I think the cool temps are to blame.
Eric, 58
Motto: Live your life like it's going to be a long one, because it just might, and then you'll be glad you did.

texazgal

Postby texazgal » Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:17 am

BB, they weren't worms, I know cabbage loopers now. It was some kind of aphid looking insect, quite small and really in there! I know and have BT which I have to use for the catapillars that infest Texas mountain laurels every year. Little bit squeemish about using on veggies. Just planted 4 tomato plants for fall garden, but donno if they can make it in this 99º heat. :shock:
DX rectal cancer Aug 04
Surgery Sept 04, perm ostomy, "BarbieButt" Sept 23, 04.
June 2019 stage 3 esophageal cancer
Aug. 2019 28 radiations, 5 chemo
Nov. PET shows original tumor and mets resolved, 2 new mets in liver and bone.
May 2020 port installed, started Folfox hope to do 12 rounds, cure not expected
Keytruda April 2021 8 rounds
scan showed small growth in tumors
Paclitaxol started summer 2021.
Scan July 30, 2021 showed small decrease in size of tumors in liver and bone

CRguy

Postby CRguy » Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:50 am

BrownBagger wrote:Everybody is complaining about their tomatoes this year, including me. Don't know what went wrong, but all my tomato plants are either pretty small, or dying. I'm getting a few cherry tomatoes, but nothing like most years. Again, I think the cool temps are to blame.

We've had a heat wave/drought but even with careful hand watering I still hold the record for WORST looking tomato plants with the BEST tasting tomatoes !!!
Sadly while I was away I had to tell my kids to share them out as they ripened :twisted: so I only got a few yesterday BUTT good .... damned good !
Basil is holding its own, oregano,rosemary,chives and sage are all great. Italian parsley is touchy but all the seasonings are ready when needed.

Had a bumper crop of blackberries as I let them flower to help the bee populations here. Have a freezer full and gorged on fresh all August. Now the problem is cutting back the Jurassic Park Invaders once the crop is done !!! These brambles and roots are indestructible.

I agree with Eric, kiwi ... that is a very tasty looking dish !!!

Cheers
CR
Caregiver x 4
Stage IV A rectal cancer/lung met
17 Year survivor
my life is an ongoing totally randomized UNcontrolled experiment with N=1 !
Review of my Journey so far

BrownBagger

Postby BrownBagger » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:16 pm

Kiwi asked how my 100th chemo round went. I'd have to say, in all honesty, that it was my easiest infusion to date. Minimal side effects. Fatigue when trying to work hard, yes, that that's typical in the first week. If I don't try to work too hard, I don't notice (hard for me, though).

CRG--I've seen some really ugly tomato plants produce some very tasty tomatoes, so I know what you're talking about. I think the plant puts all it's got into the fruit, is the explanation. Oftentimes, smaller plants produce bigger fruit, for the same reason, I think. Big, healthy-looking plants can put most their energy into growing big and healthy looking, with mediocre fruit. That's why, with tomatoes at any rate, you want to lay off the nitrogen and hit 'em with phosphorus when they start to flower. As one gardener said to me early in my career, "For Christ's sake, don't put compost in the hole when you transplant tomatoes. What are you, nuts?"
Eric, 58

KWT

Postby KWT » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:32 pm

Return to “Colon Talk - Colon cancer (colorectal cancer) support forum”